“Excellent hotel!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Vila Gale Nautico
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Armacao de Pera
“Excellent hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was so worried after reading reviews over the year till we went and I need not have worried!! Me,My husband and sons aged 12 and 1 and myself in a family room and it was lovely air conditioning fab smart and large with lovely en suite was modern and very comfortable,I should just say at this point I'm ultra fussy and like everything to be just so!! The hotel is very smart playing relaxing music in the corridors,the pool area is great plenty of sunbeds and has a park and two kids clubs on the grounds but weirdly is still very peaceful they have a snack bar which serves all day range of ice creams,toasted sandwiches,burgers beers wine ice tea and you can go as many times as you see fit,they have heated indoor pool and jacuzzi which was lovely to visit on an evening or day,kids entertainers from the hotel amazing people you can see they love what they do not because it pays them a wage refreshing attitude I thought!! We didn't see any Thomson cook entertainers the dining room was brilliant I don't get some of the bad food reviews my son has a severe dairy allergy and he was more than well fed!! Breakfast lunch and tea the food was very good! The staff are great if I had anything to moan about evening meal not served till 7pm but that's only my moan as I have a young toddler that is normally asleep by then! Outside there is a brilliant strip that comes alive at night with music and stalls coffee bars and ice cream parlours brilliant little place it's the first time I didn't want to come home so if your going relax and enjoy you will have an amazing time.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Emmie8080
VilaGaleHoteis, Gerente geral at Vila Gale Nautico, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comments about your experience in Vila Galé Náutico in 2012.

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and let us express our gratitude by thanking you for sharing your positive thoughts about the friendly and efficient staff, food quality and variety, room and cleanliness.

Your comments motivates us to continue our constant pursuit of service improvement and continue trying to exceed expectations.

On my own behalf and on that of the Vila Galé Nautico Hotel team, we hope we have the honour of hosting you again in a near future.

Bruno Martins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Great first all inclusive holiday for me and hubby, and we loved it! First class staff, clean rooms, daily maid service, good food. So the entertainment was a bit iffy at times, but get a few drinks down you and you'll soon be joining in with the singing

OK, so having read some previous reviews, time for some thoughts.
For those whingers who didn't like the entertainment - go back to your room and watch the telly.
For those who commented about the food - go on a diet for a week.
For those who complained about (gasp!) children in the complex, go to a SAGA holiday, sounds like you would fit in well there.
For those who didn't like the pool, go to the beach.
We loved it and would highly recommend the Vila Gale Nautico

Room Tip: Some rooms overlooked the bar/entertainment area might be a bit noisy if you're looking for a re...
3 Thank MaggieMeggie
Dear Guest,

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and let us express our gratitude by thanking you for sharing your positive thoughts about the friendly and efficient staff, food quality and variety,room and cleanliness.

Regarding the entertainment, we have taken in consideration your review (and from other guests) by adding 3 new shows this summer, as also, changed the musicians. Despite our efforts with better feedback, we are already working to improve even more in 2014 season.

That´s why your comments are an important tool and only help us to continue our constant pursuit of service improvement and continue trying to exceed expectations.

Bromley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We had been to another Vila Gale Hotel which is why he had leaned towards this one through Thomas Cook. This was on an "All Inclusive" basis. The hotel is in Armacao de Pera in The Algarve and was at the end of the season. We traveled through Thomas Cook and must admit, the outgoing flight wasn't the best with the plane looking rather tired. Landed in Faro and all was fairly straightforward although we had to walk to a coach park (the walking was fine) which wasn't that easy to find as it couldn't be seen from the exit. In case you encounter this, it is a left out of the exit and along the taxi rank to the end. Armacao was nearest to the airport for us and we were pleased to only have a 30 minute or so transfer. At the Nautico we were met with a friendly receptionist and although early, our room was ready. Very nice and large reception area. The hotel is set up with 4 floors with the reception being on the 2nd. We were on the 3rd overlooking the back of the hotel and some waste land. Not the best view but adequate. The room was really nice. Large with a Kingsize bed and a sofa and chair. The bathroom has a bath with shower attached and there is a bidet. The balcony was small but adequate too but had absolutely no privacy. Each adjoining rooms balcony could be seen from each other as there was no side partitions. This was a theme through the hotel.

Reception was on the 2nd floor which is level from the street. Below that was the pool, restaurant and bar. Drop down another floor and you have a dark corridor to the indoor pool and gym. There is free Wifi in the hotel which isn't mentioned in the brochure, so I was a little disappointed that I hadn't gone prepared! The gym is small and has what you would want. It has a cross trainer and a treadmill for your cardio needs. These were quality machines. There are also various weight machines and mats to allow those who want to, have a good session. Make sure you take you kit!! The indoor pool was small but clean and had the addition of a jacuzzi. Towels for sunbeds and anything else are supplied free and you just sign for how many you want. They will exchange them as often as you like. The outdoor pool is small and would be a little crowded in the summer I would have thought. The pool area is also quite small and although there seemed to be plenty of beds they were packed together like sardines. Fortunately when we went it was fairly quiet and lots of spare beds. Plenty of umbrellas. There is an area with tables and chairs adjacent to the restaurant and also a smaller area next to the pool bar/cafe. The pool bar serves drinks and snacks from around 10.30 am. Drinks (and food) is by asking at the bar which I guess would get quite busy in summer and I understand that there have been previous reviews that talk of queues. Every day the 'Fun Team' lay on activities for those interested and there is live entertainment at night. The bar seating is limited and again, would get crowded. All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We did come away without an electric plug adapter and the reception kindly loaned us one for the duration of our stay. One point, is the safe in rooms at extra charge. I cannot understand why hotels charge, so be prepared. Food was pretty good in my opinion. It is difficult to cater for everyone's taste. Breakfast was all the usual cooked and continental choices with fresh bread and rolls and pastries. Cakes were a little bland but fine. Lunch was also pretty good. Fish meat and veg dishes available together with pasta. Dinner of a similar vein but they tried to offer a variety each day and meal which worked fairly well for me and my wife. All meals were by means of a buffet choice with a one day ala carte if you were staying for 7 days or more. All inclusive drinks were self serve from taps be it soft drinks or wines. In short we thought that this was a really nice hotel with excellent staff and pretty nice facilities.

Outside the hotel was the small town of Armacao de Pera. The hotel was about a 2 minute walk to the beach over a road. The beach extends for miles in either direction although towards the town itself is unbroken. The town has plenty of cafes and ice cream parlors to choose from as well as small shops for gifts etc. There is a small supermarket about 5 minutes from the hotel along the promenade through the town. If you like walking, there is a clifftop walk with intermittent spells of road as you pass around private areas surrounding some hotels. Travel to the beach area and turn right with the sea on you left and enjoy!! There are various beaches areas with cafes and toilets along the way. In the other direction you can again walk for miles along the beach with a nature reserve about 20 minutes away. Beware of a tidal outlet/inlet which prevents you returning along the beach back to town!! You can get back but its a hike along the roads which aren't easy to find!! Again, bars/cafes along the beach.

Worthy of note for your return through the airport. Long queues between check in and the airport which has a strange setup. Then another queue for the passport/security control. We ended up not having sufficient time to stop in the departure lounge.

Room Tip: A pool view although nice would be overlooked by other balconies and also would be quite noisy.
1 Thank russfenwick
VilaGaleHoteis, Gerente geral at Vila Gale Nautico, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and let us express our gratitude by thanking you for sharing your positive thoughts with us.

Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Came here for a week with my partner, arrived at hotel and we were checked in super fast! Our room was ready when we arrived so we headed straight up to the 5th floor. The reception area was very clean and modern & the lift and corridoors also. Our room was spacious and had all the things we need, even a fridge wich you dont normally get in all inclusive hotels, the hairdryer was great and dried my hair really fast and the shower was powerful also. The balcony over looked the pool and we had no loud sounding music like some other reviews. The room got cleaned every day and we were provided with clean towels every day also. The pool area was kept very clean and plenty of sun loungers, was very peaceful. The snack bar was great, lovely pizza, burgers & sandwiches and the ice cream was smooth & creamy (yum yum). All the staff were great, happy & smiling and always willing to help. The buffet restaurant was good, food quality was good and always had something for everyone! The salads were so fresh! There were no kids running round or screaming (thank god) and always were provided with fresh bottled water for the table! We had one night at the a la carte restaurant which was really nice & big portions! The main bar at the night time was furnished beautifully and staff were always quick to serve and clear the tables! Never had to wait long for drinks. As a young couple the resort was abit too quiet but good for a chill, we ventured into Albufeira a couple of nights which was 20mins in a taxi, and we had many walks along the beach front which is gorgeous! There is a great beach bar aswell. We were over the moon with the hotel it was fabulous 10/10!! I do not agree with alot of the negative reviews and hope people enjoy the hotel as much as we did!

Room Tip: Many people say not to have a pool view, but we loved overlooking the pool, was not noisy and was gr...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank N W
Dear Guest,

Your comments are an important tool and only help us to continue our constant pursuit of service improvement and continue trying to exceed expectations.

Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

After reading the reviews on trip advisor before we left for Portugal I was very concerned. However I can honestly say apart from the food we had a very good experience at this hotel. The reception area is quite big, with very friendly and helpful staff that are available 24 hours per day. The room was spacious with a nice view over the sea, large en-suite bathroom and balcony with chairs. There was a small fridge in the room, safety deposit box available at 2.5 Euros per day and a hairdryer in the bathroom although if you have long hair like me, you’d be there all morning drying it, so I would recommend taking your own.

The pool area was clean and well kept with plenty of sun loungers. We stayed in this hotel from the 15 -22 September and it obviously wasn’t at full capacity and there were always plenty of sun loungers available at all times of the day. Towels are available from reception at no extra cost, but they are quite small, so if you have room in your case I’d take your own. Although there is a speaker out on the lawn which does play music our experience was it was at a reasonable volume and didn’t interrupt out days of relaxation, except one day when Olly Murs was on repeat for about 3 hours. There were only about 4 children staying whilst we were there and the average age of the people round the pool was around 50, so we had a very relaxing time.

There is a snack bar available all through the day which served pizza, burgers, chips, ice-creams and soft and alcoholic drinks. There were always very efficient and generous with their portion sizes. In the evening there is a lovely modern bar with excellent staff. There was entertainment every evening and to be honest I enjoyed all of them! Singing, playing the guitar, karaoke, music quizzes and bingo.

There are 3 swimming pools available. One for small children, one large outdoor pool and one indoor pool with a Jacuzzi, which I didn’t use as the weather was too good to be inside. The gym looked well equipped, although again I didn’t use the facilities.

The hotel was always clean and tidy and our rooms were cleaned every morning before 10am. There is a lift available too which gave you access to all the floors.

The hotel is located 5 minutes walk to the town centre, which is lovely. Cobbled streets, lots of tourist shops and market stalls, lovely views and access to the beach and you always felt very safe during the day and night.

My only negative about this hotel was the evening meal, which was very repetitive, very bland and uncoordinated. I’m not sure what someone with children would feed their child, as most nights the options were, chips/sautéed potatoes/potato croquettes, rice, pasta (no sauce), vegetables and this was served with either: - fish, pork or duck in the main and unfortunately almost all of the time none of these were served with a sauce and didn’t necessarily taste the same as they would at home. There was also salad and cold meats available each evening. The puddings again were almost exactly the same for all seven nights of our stay. They tasted nice, but by day 4 even I’d had enough of the same dessert every night.

Breakfast was scrambled egg, bacon, mini sausages, toast, croissants, cereals, cheeses, fresh fruit and juices. Lunch was salad, cold meats and hot options, but again mostly the same as the evening menu. It you didn’t arrive before 9.30am and 7.30pm you would probably struggle to get a table which hasn’t already been used. One thing I did like was the drinks were all served from a vending machine, soft drinks, coffee, wine and beer, which meant you didn’t have to wait to be served. However this meant the waiters’ were clearing plates very quickly and when only one person had finished their meal you plate was cleared and not waiting for you both to finish.

If you stay for 7 nights or longer you are entitled to one Italian a la carte meal in a sectioned off area of the restaurant. It was nice to be waited on and not have to get up and down between each course. I had read on previous trip advisor reviews you need to choose your meal in advance, which I didn’t have a problem with. The lady who served our meal with excellent and very attentive, but the meal wasn’t fantastic, just okay, although the melting middle chocolate pudding, on the menu at ‘Petit Gateaux’ was wonderful!

All in all we did had a great time and would recommend this hotel. However I would suggest budgeting in a couple of meals in the local restaurants unless you are used to eating very plain food. The staff, location, cleanliness and facilities were all excellent; it was just the food that let it down.

Room Tip: Avoid a pool view if you want to go to bed before 12am as the entertainment is by the pool area.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LivBedfordshire
Dear Guest,

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and let us express our gratitude by thanking you for sharing your positive thoughts about the friendly and efficient staff, room and cleanliness.

Regarding the entertainment, we have taken in consideration your review (and from other guests) by adding in 2013 one more main course, as also 4 themed nights (2 BBQ: One with 6 variety of meats and 2 fish and other with 6 variety of fish and two meats; Paellas evening and Algarve Cataplana and seafood). We have also added new pastas and pizzas in the buffet at lunches and a sauce station in both meals (3 options at lunch and 6 options at dinner). The feedback is better this year, but we have already new goals for 2014.

Staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

So off to Portugal for a late-ish summer holiday and a last minute booking through Thomas Cook at the Vila Gale Nautico with my partner. Now before I start this review, can I have a short rant about children ? - Thing is I quite like kids, apparently I used to be one, and I have two, and overall I find them rather fun and I appreciate that if you go to a family hotel you will almost inevitably meet children, and parents need a break too. However, thing is, despite the fact that the Vila Gale Nautico didnt appear to be over-run with children in early September the ones that were there certainly made up for any lack of numbers with their noise! Now I don't know if the acoustics of the hotel were especially designed to reflect that special frequency of young childrens screams, or if Portugese children and toddlers are taught how to frighten tourists at 50 paces, but by golly it was loud!. It also didnt appear to moderated by parents either, the majority of whom seemed impervious to the screaming toddler only inches from their ear, and indeed on occasions some of the same parents seemed to delight in amplifying the effect with added equipment - I swear to god one day I saw a toddler of about 4 entering the dining room with his parents, wearing a drum ! Seriously, what were they thinking ?.Did mum and dad dress for dinner and think, "I know, how about little Serge taking a drum into the dining room, I bet the other diners would love his repeated thumping as an accompanyment to their fish!" honestly !!

Anyway that's it rant over, and what you really want to know now is what we thought of the hotel. Well essentially its rather good! - Yes despite the best efforts of small children the hotel does a credible job of delivering a fully inclusive package. Its a relatively small hotel (perhaps about 200 rooms), but clean and decorated in a nautical style, and reception staff were excellent, very helpful and mostly multilingual. Tthe room we had overlooking the pool was light and airy, with good air conditioning, if rather thin walls (Crying child next door but I won't start all that again!). I would suggest however that if you buy only one extra on your holiday that you make it a pool-facing room as some of the road-facing ones looked positively grim. The pool itself was nice, not over-big but enough to cool off in and there appeared to be usually enough loungers to go round (although we were slightly out of season so it may be busier in mid summer). There was a pool bar/cafe but I have to say this was one of the most soul-less and functional rooms I have ever been in, and you really dont want to linger there after you order your drink. (Apparently there was also an indoor pool but frankly it was just too nice to use it!)
Now onto the food. Well, as always with all-inclusive, this is a key issue. We all know the equation, cheap all inclusive holidays mean mass produced food served buffet style, and with that comes the possibilites of poor quality and boring menus. However despite the fact that the hotel is relatively small the food was relatively good. For lunch and dinner there was a good selection of cold salad and meats for starters along with a choice of soups, and then around 8 hot choices. These typically included a grilled meat, fried fish, chips and a couple of vegetables, pasta and a sauce, so usually enough of a selection to please most people. Only slight disappointment was the sweets which appeared to be based on several variations on Angel Delight, and some fresh fruit !. Wine and beer were both on tap in the dining room, as was coffee (although note to restaurant manager, one coffee machine for the whole room is not enough!). Likewise breakfast had a range of cereals, continental style options and cooked breakfast, so enough for pretty much any palate. The only down side to the eating experience was the open plan dining room which just did nothing to dampen any noise and was just incredibly loud, no chance of whispering sweet nothings in each others ear there ! - Evening entertainment was varied, occasionally good, mostly average.
The small resort of Armacao de Pera is still under development, and the nicest parts of the fishing village are about a 20 minute walk along the pedestrianised promenade which comes alive at night with stalls and entertainers. However the lovely beach is very close to the hotel, perhaps 500 yards in front of it across the road, where about £10 will buy you a couple of sun-loungers and an umbrella for the day (and its close enough to pop back for lunch). Being the Algarve there are lots of trips and excursions available and, if you can, get into the town of Lagos which is about an hour on the bus (about 8 euros,leaves from the town) and do a trip in a little inflatable along the coast to see the sea caves, its wonderful !
So all in all not a bad little hotel, but dont get me started again on the noise ! Next year we go adults-only!

Room Tip: Insist on a pool facing room
5 Thank Wozlow
Dear Guest,

The same about food. We don´t want to be the same as other All-Inclusives. We want to find our identity to a traditional algarve! portuguese all-inclusive. For 2013, we added one more main course, as also 4 themed nights (2 BBQ: One with 6 variety of meats and 2 fish and other with 6 variety of fish and two meats; Paellas evening and Algarve Cataplana and seafood). We have also added new pastas and pizzas in the buffet at lunches and a sauce station in both meals. The feedback is better this year, but we have already new goals for 2014.

We will try to put 2 more coffee machines in 2014 and increase rotation and quality of the desserts and fruits.

Poole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My daughter (29) and I (64) recently spent one week at this hotel. It was faultless. For both of us it was our first experience of an all-inclusive holiday and, I am told, the hotel's first year as all-inclusive. The food - both variety and quality; the staff; the rooms; the pool - all were excellent. The rooms were clean, with fresh towels every day; the food was plentiful and varied (3 hours for breakfast, 2 hours for lunch and 3 hours for dinner - with a pool-side bar/cafe open from 1100 to 1800 daily); the pool was clean (we watched the staff cleaning the pool on several occasions); the staff - in particular Deana in the 'Fun Team' and Miguel - the bar manager - were friendly, helpful and couldn't do enough for us. All in all a wonderful week in the sun, which we're hoping to repeat next year. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views & less noise from the patio area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SylviaPoole
Dear Guest,

Your comments motivates us even more to continue our constant pursuit of service improvement and continue trying to exceed expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Armacao de Pera
Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera
Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de...
#1 of 10 in Armacao de Pera
Vila Gale Lagos
Vila Gale Lagos
#6 of 51 in Lagos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,239 reviews

Been to Vila Gale Nautico? Share your experiences!