We’ve just spent 14 nights at villa Rafaella. The villa is stunning, tonnes of space and well equipped. The pool which we chose to heat was equally great, we all enjoyed it kids and adults alike. However we as two families were left a little baffled by the owners descriptions on the surrounding areas;
1. Good luck finding the villa on arrival. Our transfer company took us to another complex called villa rafaella. I specifically asked the owners on numerous occasions ref directions to the villa but it was so vague. We eventually found it.
2. We were greeted by a man on arrival who basically let us in. We were given no tour, no info on the area and no idea when cleaners/pool maintenance would be arriving. This proved embarrassing when one of the women in our party was at home alone and 2 strange men turned up unannounced to clean the pool. A welcome pack with basic info would have been so useful.
3. The villa is not on a complex, it’s not on a street, it’s basically on the top of a steep hill with a small apartment complex next door and some residential homes opposite. At the back there is a rough area of scrubland, not the nicest! Loads of people seemed to dump their rubbish there.
4. The nearest bar/restaurant is roughly a 20 min walk away - not 500mtrs and the beach is even further, a 30 min walk? No where near the quoted mtrs by the owners. The marina is accessible by foot but is a good 20min walk, via scrubland or main road if you dare.
5. Cleaners appeared to come in a week after we arrived but we weren’t told they were coming and were luckily out for the day.
6. On arrival we had a horrible smell coming from the downstairs ensuite bathroom. We called the numbers we had for the villa and an engineer was quickly on site. Fantastic service which seemed to solve the issue however looking at previous reviews there seems to be a general issue with smelly drains? We continued to smell it even after it was fixed, sometimes outside by the front door.
We as a group couldn’t fault the villa, it’s modern, loads of space and the views were beautiful. We were left disappointed by its location only due to inaccurate info in the villas description. I wouldn’t recommend this villa to anyone with mobility issues due to the steep hill leading up to it (unless you have a car). I’d highly recommend a car with this villa generally, else you may feel a little isolated.
In short if you want a beautiful base to explore the Algarve you can’t go wrong with this villa. If you’re expecting things on your doorstep it may not be for you :-)
This is an absolutely beautiful villa in a beautiful location. The villa has everything you need for your stay there. Lurdes and his family arranged transport to and from the airport (extra cost) and were on hand via phone and email to answer any questions. We used the pool cover at night which really helped keep the pool warm during the day. The interior of the villa is stunning and spacious.
We did find that the downstairs ensuite bedroom has a funny smell to it, so we didn’t use that room at all. This was ok for our small family, as we were able to use the upstairs rooms.
The bbq area and seating area were just fantastic and the villa is located a short walk from a small shop and bar.
20 minutes walk is a marina and bars.
A fantastic stay and we will be looking to return next year :)
Just had a lovely stay at Villa Rafaela, this is a beautiful villa with lots of great seated areas to relax by the pool, dine al fresco etc.
The property manager provided amazing service, nothing was too much...extra towels, pool towels, a babies cot... everything was provided upon request.
We had an issue with the pool area & one phone call and the maintenance guy was there first thing in the morning. Our return flights were cancelled last minute & Lurdes arranged alternative accommodation at very short notice....once again providing amazing service!
Highly recommend this beautiful villa & will definitely return in the future!
The Villa interior was tired and needed a complete paint job. The baths required re enamelling and tiles grouting. There was a strong odour from an upstairs and down stairs toilet.
Outdoor space and pool was good. Layout of Villa was good.
This is a spacious villa with comfortable beds and lovely seating areas. However the service is very disorganised. The previous reviews are for another villa of the same name - not this one- we were the first visitors. I will be contacting trip advisor to notify them. There is no tennis, table football etc - these are at a complex down the road and you pay €3 daily for them. We were emailed with details of a key box which turned out to be non existent. This led to us being left outside the villa with three children for thirty minutes at 11.30pm on arrival. There were only eight beds made up although we had booked for nine people. We ended up finding the spare bed and some covers on arrival. We were told that we would have three visits to change towels etc - we only had one. We were not too bothered about this except that there were no top sheets left for the children and it took three days before replacements were dropped off and some of our own cleaning products were taken. We were also told that late checkout was possible. We tried to contact the managers to confirm this by text, rental inbox and phone. They did not answer the phone or reply to any messages. We just wanted confirmation and it ruined the end of the holiday. The managers/owners sent a pool man and cleaners but did not turn up themselves for checkout. Luckily we hadn't paid a deposit as I'm not convinced that we would get it back. I would not recommend this villa.
When we arrived we discovered a few minor issues such as light bulbs not working, aged sun parasols We had a two year old who found the pool a little cool, probably because the outside temperature was extremely hot!
However, one phone call to the owner saw these issues resolved. We have stayed in several villas with pools, this was the best, no trees around & plenty of sun on the patio (west facing) & the pool heating stayed on much to the delight of Dylan & actually the rest of us.
Nice location 2 minutes walk to local shop & bar, 5 minutes walk to sports bar showing football etc. Also several really nice reasonable priced restaurants in walking distance.
A bonus is located just about 100 metres from the villa is a bus stop where you can tour on an open top bus around the town
As usual in Portugal excellent maid & pool service.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
The villa is very clean and spacious. When we arrived the pool heating was turned off and we were told that the pool is not heated in July/August. I said I wanted it heated and they turned the heating on the next day.
The wifi was also not working but it just needed to be rebooted. This was a daily occurrence.
There are a couple of restaurants within a couple of hundred metres that are ok. I got a taxi most days to the old town where there are a lot of restaurants.