Cheerfulway Alto do Moinho
Vila Gale Atlantico(Gale)(Great Value!)
$104
Alpinus Hotel(Albufeira)
$76
$67
  • Pool
Hotel Apartamento Brisa Sol(Albufeira)(Great Value!)
$71
$205
  • Breakfast included
$46
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewswindows and doorsfridge freezerwashing machineold townnearest supermarketthese apartmentstown beachsized poolpool area issteep walka ground floor apartmentminute walkmain townsnack barstaff on receptionwould definitely stay here againlovely holiday
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 25, 2009

My wife and I wanted a short break to enjoy some sun and have some us time.
We travelled on a Thursday with Easyjet from Stansted, the 3 hour flight was great as always with Easyjet(Having travelled with Ryan air recently I know which one I'd go with).
The transfer by taxi was 40mins and when we arrived at the apartment we wasn't dissapointed, the complex looks great and the apartments are spacious and clean with a great pool to cool off when required.(although you do have to get up early to get your poolside sunbed).
The old town is a 15minute walk down the steepish hill but don't worry Merlins bar is at the bottom for a cool long drink (cocktails are a little strange though).
In the old town you have a huge choice of restaurants and bars to choose from, the square does get busy but is worth a wonder around.
We returned on the Monday but a great time was had by all.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We stayed in the Windmill Hill apartments at the end of June, booking through owners direct. The apartment itself was fantastic with two large bedrooms and bathrooms, dishwasher, washing machine and outside terrace overlooking the pool. We were travelling with two young boys 3 and nearly 2 and the complex was brilliant for them. The apartment was right next to the pool . As we had young children we did find that there were a number of steps from the pool. It didn't cause us too much of a problem with the pushchairs but it was worth a note. The terrace was well worth having, especially with young children, I could still sunbathe whilst my little boy was sleeping and it was adequately safe enough. The Windmill Hill complex is situated on the hill side of Albuferia, near the Old Town area. As we were a family with young children the push back up the hill with the pushchairs was a bit of a chore but we did manage it, after stopping at a few bars on the way back up. We were advised to take pushchairs for both children due to the steep climb back, and this was good advice as my 3 year old could not manage the whole way back up hill. All I will say is that after a while we did get used to the walk back , but it was rather unbearable doing it in the mid day sun. Albuferia was a lovely place and has a fantastic ambience, having puppet shows in the square and ride on scooters near to the escalators. We did have a tour on the tourist train and it took us round to the area of the Strip. Only in my opinion this area is the more lively part of town and for those people wanting lots of bars. I would say that the beach was very beautiful, however as it is near enough in a cove there was no wind and it was very hot. We found the sea was a little too rough for the kids to just paddle in and in the end we came back to the apartment as it was so safe there. All in all we had a fantastic holiday and I would thoroughly recommend these apartments to anyone. I am sure at some point we will go back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank CamollyRipon
Reviewed July 3, 2009

We stayed at the Windmill Hill (Alto Do Moinho) complex for the second time from June 18th-June 25th. Booked the two bedroom apartment for four adults (couples in 20’s) through Owners Direct.

Firstly, the apartment was absolutely brilliant, recently refitted bathrooms, balcony with built in barbecue, table for 6, and sun loungers. The was an ensuite bathroom to the master as well as a separate bathroom next to the second bedroom.

The complex itself is lovely, a nice sized pool which generally you will have no problems getting a sunlounger by at a reasonable time in the morning, the only time we struggled was when we came back from the beach one day around 4.00pm and nearly all were taken so we had to find 4 together! There is an onsite pool bar which serves hot and cold snacks, sangria, ice creams etc.. perfect for lazy days!! There is also a reception area with internet access and they will also arrange any transfers to the airport for you. I can’t fault the complex at all, its absolutely perfect, it is set above the old town so you have a fantastic view of Fishermans Beach and the old town itself from the poolside and from some apartments. Our view as you will see from our photos was amazing.

I have to say I do not agree with an earlier poster that the pool was ‘freezing’ however we did go in June. There were toddlers and children in the pool every day and I found it to be the perfect temperature especially on extremely hot days!

The walk down to the Old Town square is 10 minutes and the walk to the beach lift is probably 5-8 minutes depending on how fast you walk I suppose! The walk back is quite hilly, we managed it fine and I should think most able bodied people will too, although on some extremely hot days it was a bit of an effort. You can always get a taxi if you feel the need to, probably about 4 euros.

Nearest supermarket is 5 minutes walk downhill from the complex. Big enough to do a basic shop and reasonably priced, we got some excellent freshly made burgers for our barbeque as well as other lovely food.

Albufeira Old Town and Fishermans Beach is also brilliant, tons of restaurants to choose from as well as bars. There is entertainment going on in the square every night, and there is always plenty to do. I would highly recommend Cais Velho and La Ruina on the seafront, off bar street. Make sure you make good use of the happy hours in the bars, especially if you like your cocktails, 6.50 euros normally, down to 3.75 euros during happy hour!

All in all, another fanstastic holiday in Albufeira and we will definitely be returning as well as recommending the apartment we used to all our friends. The only reason we are not returning next year is due to having our honeymoon booked... and a bit gutted not to be returning!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Apartments are spacious ,clean and have everything you could possibly need including fully fitted kitchen [washing machine / dishwasher /cooker/hob] and a comfortable sitting /dining room.Bed's extremely comfortable and plenty storage space so suitcases could be put away. Clean towels and bins emptied daily , Maids very efficient.
The pool area is relaxing and picturesque, very clean with plenty of sunbeds and never a problem to find one.Cool shaded terrace area with covered bar/snacks served . All set in an airy garden landscape .
The apartments are about 7-10 minutes walk downhill to Albuferia old town ,but truly there are many different routes down and up so never bored with same walk . it is easy after day two and helps to ensure a balance of excercise /relaxation. Also lovely supermarket 5 mins walk with bakery ,deli and fruit /veg .
All the Staff were , courteous responsive and helpful.
Without doubt Alto Do Moinho are the best apartments I have stayed throughout Europe. I would book them without hesitation

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank Candy52
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Took my family at Easter for 10 days and had a great time. I read these reviews before we went and wanted to post then, because I had my theories about the original, critical, reviewer.
But I thought it better to wait until I'd seen for myself.
I suspect I was right (**).
The apartments are lovely, very tidy and well-maintained and the one we stayed in was very spacious and well-equipped.

They are located close to the old part of Albufeira which, for us, is the nicer part. The new part (near The Strip - a bus ride away) is more bustling with nightclubs but caters more for parties of young adults, including those on stag trips etc.

From the Windmill you can walk down to the glorious town beach within about ten minutes. The old town square, with lots of lovely restaurants and bars, is a couple of minutes further. On the way there are other bars and restaurants for stops if you want.

It IS a steep-ish climb back but, unless you are infirm, or a heavy smoker (**), or wearing inappropriate footwear (**) it's no problem at all. We had two young children (4 and 5) who managed it every night without a whimper.

I was approached twice by individual men trying to sell 'hash' but said 'no' and they moved on. However, that was very isolated and not the general 'tone' of the place which is very smart, easy-going, non-threatening and very friendly.

There is a small supermarket nearby (5 mins pleasant walk) which is good and not too expensive if you want to get food and drink day by day.

If you want to do a bigger 'shop' then you'd need to hire a car - or get a taxi - to the Lidl about a mile away.

The pool area is lovely and has a cafe/bar but - and here's my only reservation about going again at this time of year... the cafe/bar wasn't open at all during our stay (opened the week after which, as we were there during the Easter holidays, was surprising).

And, the pool was freezing. I'm no cissy but it was just too cold to use at all, which was a shame as we'd have spent a lot of time there. I am assured that it warms up in time for the summer season but this (and the cafe not opening) would be my only warning to people looking to book here with families (and the reason for the 'but' in my review title).

It would help the people renting out their apartments if those two issues could be addressed, I'm sure.

With the beach so close, though, we spent a lot of time there and the kids had a super break.

Weather was glorious for most days with about two when we saw clouds - we used those days to take trips along the Algarve.

With the Euro exchange rate making eating out more expensive we are looking at half board or all-inclusive deals to see how they compare.

But if we want a self-catering break on the Algarve again I'd happily go back to the Windmill year after year.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family