“Some dodgy staff!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Algarve Gardens

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Algarve Gardens
Ranked #146 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Wigan
“Some dodgy staff!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed for 10 nights from 28th August 2012. On arriving at the hotel we were told we were staying in the yellow block at the end of the complex. The apartment block was very dated and is in need of a thorough external painting. It was very dark on entering the block in the evening and the main door was kept wedged open!! As two single females we didn't feel that safe.

On the first night we went to the bar, only to get asked by a bar tender if we wanted to go down the beach and share a bottle of wine, within minutes he came back with his phone number, we made a sharp exit and went back to our apartment. At 1.30am we were woken by said barman asking why we hadn't joined him. We called reception to complain who told us to go back at 4pm the next day to speak to the manager! So the next day we went to reception to air our concern and was asked to move away from other guests at the desk. We spoke to a very obnoxious man on reception who informed us that no managers were available and that maybe we had led the barman on...the cheek of it!!!

To cut a long story short we got moved to a bungalow closer to the hotel. After a few days we got talking to some girls who had also had the same offer from the same barman and had also had the same frosty reception from the same man on reception....the other reception staff seemed rude and that we were more of a hindrance than anything else.

We stayed half board the food was lovely and the restaurant staff were very attentive...they were led by a good restaurant manager!!! Pool and beach were both very clean and nice to relax.

There isn't much around the hotel but a 10 minute walk away is Falesia where there is a lovely square with a variety of bars and restaurants and a couple of shops.

Room Tip: Avoid the apartments which are advertised as the Algarve Gardens!! Try and get the Alfamar which is...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank WiganDodge

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just returned from 9 nights at Algarve Gardens Studios. Read the other reviews so will try and keep this balanced. Apartment was very basic, no chance of self catering as kitchenette too small and only a 2 ring electric hob and microwave, no kettle, work surface too small, kept banging my head on extractor fan. Bed uncomfortable, cheap hard mattress, only 1 cheap pillow each. The balcony had a plastic table and 2 chairs, one of the chairs snapped when my partner was sitting on it as they were well used. Cleaned daily, clean towels, plenty of toilet paper, rubbish always taken and bed made, bed changed once. Our main problem was the location, had we been closer to a town we could have lived with the apartment. There is no cash machine, only a small supermarket and a couple of restaurants which in our experience were ok for a lunchtime snack but not an evening meal. We got used to catching bus and taxis into Olhos D'Agua which is approx 4 kms away where there are cash points and a selection of places to eat and a few shops, a really pretty little place. Taxi costs about 5 euros each way. Bus to Albufeira runs approx every hour or so and cost 3.90 euros to the old town. Taxi back was 11 euros. Alfamar hotel is a minutes walk from apartment through the gardens and the facilities are good, the beach is lovely. Negatives, no chance of a sunbed unless you get there early even though it says you shouldn't reserve them. Staff on reception are generally nice and helpful, rang us taxis and gave us directions etc without hesitation. One tip, speak to the men on reception and avoid asking the women if possible, they are very sour faced (one earned the nick name "Vinegar"). Yes you get a map when you get there but the man on reception came outside and told us clearly where to find the apartment. My only other negative is that the hotel is obviously popular with the Portuguese and caters mainly for them, if you want somewhere with british around then this is not the place, we felt likes aliens staying in the bargain basement apartments! The only other brits we met were at reception trying to get upgrades from the apartments and the others were trying to get early flights home. You get used to not bothering to hold a door open or expecting an acknowledgement for standing out of their way, the Portuguese guests would walk in front of us when we were queuing for reception.
All in all a poor holiday as spent a fortune trying to stay out of the apartment! Would NEVER go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank claireoverthere

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Tralee, Kerry, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I am a seasoned traveller to Portugal - and know this complex, have stayed in hotel before, and with friends nearby. The studio apartments are dark, unwelcoming & nothing at all what I would expect from the Alfamar hotel grounds - do not stay unless you really dont care or are not going to be there! I didnt stay even though I booked and paid for two nights & when I told reception why they just shrugged n smirked.... agree with all bad comments on the Algarve Garden studio apts and the attitude of the staff in the hotel - not at all in keeping with fabulous beach & surrounding grounds in hotel.

Room Tip: Book at T1 not a studio
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alicazinha
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We have just returned from our 3rd. visit to this property. Although the tourist apartments are basic and a little dated, they are set in a great location, are kept very clean with daily maid service and change of bed linen at least once in a 7 day stay, clean towels daily and the use of all the facilities of the Alfamar. A private beach, outdoor pool, indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, nightly entertainment, an 'animation' team with daily activities in the high season - what more could you really ask for and all at a reasonable price. You have supermarkets a short distance away from the apartments if you want to self-cater and local friendly resaurants within a 5 minute walk if you don't. You need to be reasonably fit if you are on the top floor of the apartments - 3 flights of stairs and no lifts but please giv Algarve Gardens the credit they deserve and don't be over-influenced by the negativities on here.

Room Tip: A studio with a garden view is preferable
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stuart A
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Iv visited many many countries and stayed in many different hotels & apartments from 2* to 5* this review is not an exaggeration it's the truth ! It is impossible to say everything in this one review of my experience of this hotel. For starters I knew I was staying in the studio apartments not the hotel itself as I booked this and I expected it to be less quality than the hotel as hotel is 4* and studios are 3* I was not expecting a 5 star resort. But what me and my boyfriend experiencd here there are no words to describe the treatment we received from the rude staff at the hotel & The most disgusting room I have ever seen it was no more than a 1*.
Rooms are suppose to be cleaned 6 days a week but in reality the beds where hardly ever changed as I noticed the same stain on the bed sheets for a long time ! Maids do half a job by making the beds to make it look like its changed , bins not changed often, clean towels/ toilet roll sometimes not left , rooms themselves have no air con , no kettle , fridge was broken as it had this terrible loud noise coming from it & covered in rust with the most disgusting smell of rotten fish when was opened . No sun came near balcony so very hard to dry clothes , nowhere to hang clothes as there was bird droppings all over balcony. Rooms basically have never seen an upgrade in the 35 years they are there. The place needs demolished. Paint flaking everywhere, rust on everything.
The staff are rude, unhelpful and unprofessional, especially the 3 women we had experience with. We arrived at hotel at around 11am we were checked in abruptly, staff did not greet us or wish us a good Time or anything and just handed us the most confusing map to find our own way to the room ourselves as the studios are in blocks away from the hotel the complex is massive consisting of the hotel itself, ALOT of villas and 2 blocks of apartments. somebody could have helped us to our room as they where all sitting about chatting but didn't bother helping and left us to find it ourselves it took us a long time to find the apartments dragging suitcases in the severe heat at one stage finding ourselves unknowingly walking to the beach ! When we eventualy found it we had to lift our suitcases up 4 flights of stairs as no lift ! The staff where so unhelpful through our whole holiday they made us feel like an inconvenience we came across no other guests that spoke English as there first language nobody from uk or Ireland unless they ran away from hotel at every opportunity like us !! It was all Portuguese people which was one of the reasons we feel like they didn't want us there . We witnessed the female staff on reception desk laughing and joking about guests as they walked past laughing about how fat a man was and about "Dutch" people and many other unprofessional things like them leaving the phone off the hook ( thinking to myself that was dangerous because what if I needed to contact the reception if something happened to me or my boyfriend as we where away from hotel in studios) they just left the phone off hook to continue laughing and making fun of how guests look as they walk past. We witnessed this while waiting for a taxi which always took them ages to ring for us one night them telling us to wait outside and I asked how long would it be and to her reply she said "I don't know wait outside all night I don't know" the cheek we received was unbelievable and they very clearly talked about us when we walked away looking over discussing and laughing in a different language that they knew we did not speak as we spoke English. Taxis to Albefueira are 18€ each way we had to pay this every night as no places to eat round hotel ! There is nothing around hotel to do me and my boyfriend where lucky to have enough money to be able to go in and out of Albefueira and enjoy ourselves but this might not be possible for families. We chose not to eat in hotel as staff where so rude and don't cater for the Irish or English only Portuguese and German, we spent a lot of money it was a very expensive holiday because of the money we had to pay gettin to places. There was one nice cafe we ate in for breakfast that was very cheap just outside the complex .
You are very brave if you are coming here Thomas cook booked us here they said they have sent loads of people to the studios but they need to stop in my opinion English / Scottish / welsh & Irish are not welcome they make that very clear by the way they treat u .
Hotel is right on the beach it is beautiful but is very crowded with locals who drive and use hotel parking for the beach ( they aren't suppose to but nobody stops them) there is cars parked everywhere on every bit of path available so u dodge ur way through them to get to it.
Do not come to this hotel or stay in the studios or villas unless u want to be treated terrible live in a dirty prison cell . It would be hell for an english speaking family. very disappointed as this  was my first time in portugal and very much enjoyed my holiday when I was away from complex the staff gave a very bad reflection on portugeise people and their country shame on them no idea how they can get away with treating guests like that . The worst women on reception was slim, brown hair,with red glasses look out for her in my opinion she should be sacked ! No manager in the world should have unprofessional staff working for them. If u are already booked change hotel !
Sorry for very long review it still hasnt even got half of what we experienced in it goodluck to future guests we have never experienced a room / staff that where this terrible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
24 Thank Ireland T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I wanted to write a short review to tell people not to read other reviews about Algarve Gardens. My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week at the beginning of August and it was perfect for us! Despite what people say, yes the rooms are basic however we didn't pay big money to stay here and expected less than what we got. The maids were attentive and cleaned everyday and we were surprised to have a balcony/terrace which looked out on the rest of the complex. The pool and beach are all in touching distance which is perfect if you want to relax for a week as we did. When I read reviews saying we were in the middle of no where it did worry me, but we ventured 10 minutes walk up the road to find a lovely square with many restaurants, a shop and another beach to access. I wanted to write this to tell people that of you want to relax and enjoy some good food and weather this is the place. If you are looking for 5 star treatment then obviously not, however I would suggest not to look at these sort of prices if that is what you're after. Over all service was brilliant and we had a fantastic week here!!

• Stayed August 2012
9 Thank Emilywheeler
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

My partner booked a 10 day stay in mid July as a holiday for both of us. Unfortunately my partner passed away unexpectedly in April. The holiday was already paid for and at short notice and in a state of turmoil, plans had to be adjusted (expensively and unsympathetically by Travelsoon.com.) I had to take the holiday or lose the money. Knowing that this is what my partner wanted, I went with the plans/arrangements he had made. Reading the reviews on Trip advisor... what can one say. They were not good. At best average (some poor and avoid at all costs) or just above. Given the dreadful circumstances and the dreaded anticipation before arriving at this resort, i have to say I was very surprised. It is a backwater location but is also accessible to other towns/ cities. The beach is exclusive to those who stay here. Having travelled the world I have to say this beach and coastline is paradise. Can't think of one better. Talcum powder sands with crimson red cliffs washed by a turquoise tide with a gentle surf. If it's nightlife and a fast pace you seek then don't go here. Otherwise could not fault it in anyway. Two teenage daughters agree.

Room Tip: This is for a bungalow.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank kittykat055
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Alfamar Hotel
Hotel Apartamentos Mirachoro II
Silchoro Apartments
Silchoro Apartments
#89 of 162 in Albufeira

Been to Algarve Gardens? Share your experiences!