“suitable for holidays - family & older couples” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Montechoro

Hotel Montechoro
Ranked #140 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“suitable for holidays - family & older couples”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

Decor - been around a while & little faded but kept clean & well maintained.
Location - close enough for evening walk to bars etc but too far for daily trip to beach.
Rooms - spacious & good for views over town in evening. Try for sea-view (odd no. rooms).
Pool - 4.5ft hotel pool, temperature was refreshing change from llovely sunshine.
Hotel Activities - additonal cost for tennis (£30 per day) & gym (£45 per week)
Breakfast - european menu but lacks regular use of fresh over tinned fruit.

Generally a pleasant hotel for holiday & best for families or older couples.
Younger couples would likely prefer an Old Town location as had better variety of night life.
Good value for a 4star but amenities getting too out-dated for its current "5stars".

Room Tip: Hotel shape makes room selection tricky - be sure to ask for "pool" or "sea" vie...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NessieTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here in June with my friend. We went here as a late booking and just for a relaxing week. The hotel itself is just at the top of the Montechero strip and is fairly central. The hotel itself is very basic but clean enough i guess. It was ok for a cheap and cheerful holiday but wouldnt choose to go back. It was very old fashioned inside and could do with a facelift. The breakfast was cooked and continental buffets and was ok.
All in all it is a clean hotel but very old fashioned.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Not my first visit to this well located hotel; but not much has changed since my last visit Oct 2010. Room decor is very dated. Food is very average; but the real issue is that for the 2nd year the hotel was near full capacity and dinner service time was restricted to 2 hours (7-9pm). Hotel management admitted that at full capacity it was not possible to serve dinner in one sitting. We had to get in line for up to 40 minutes to get seating and then face a 'no food' or 'cold food' at the self service stations. Either way one felt oblidged to gulp down whatever food was there quickly. The situation was similar in 2010. Many guests, who prepaid for dinner, dined in locat restaurants - which favoured the hotel.
Staff were friendly and appreciated the frustration of guests; but they (the staff) said that their concerns about the food service situation was being ignored by management. From my experience of management I guess the staff were correct.

Room Tip: Back rooms get the evening sun & are quieter
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Southport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

We have just returned from our 8th visit to this hotel, And am sorry to say we will not be returning. All though we cannot fault the hotel on friendly staff especially Horatio in the bar. Also the hotel is very clean but in need of refurbishing. We were told that there would be certain upgrading there was no evidence of this. Also my wife had her bag snatched out side the hotel,
The receptionist was helpful in informing the police for us. The day after we had to go to the police station and whilst there two other families were reporting robberies, One of these families was with a rep, who told us that she lived behind the Montechoro She told us that this was a very bad area, Why cant they inform the tour operator,s.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jocalty
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

Hotel was clean and althought very dated and the carpet in the bedroom left a lot to be desired. please invest in a carpet cleaner!

the food was nice although we only took breakfast as there are so many lovely places to eat in Alberfeira at reasonable prices.

My biggest disappointment about the hotel was that a necklace went missing from my bedroom. I had taken it off the night before and forgot to put in on in morning before i left. When i realised my mistake i looked for it that evening but to my annoyance there was no sign of it. I notified the reception but they were not interested. They said they would ask the cleaners but did not ask me for a description of the necklace or where i had set it. We spoke to the cleaners ourselves and they did their best to look for it. I again mentioned it to management but they did not want to talk about it or offer any help. It was someone from home who told us we had to go to police station to report it missing or our insurance would not accept our claim. Really upset by this and left us with a bad perception of this hotel

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are better as there is a lot of noise at the front of hotel from irish Ba...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pearl007
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed with my little boy and elderly mother. Hotel did not say that it was not suitable for wheel chair users. I struggled to and from hotel. I eventually abandoned the wheelchair and took the courtesy bus to and fro. That was about all I could do with my mother. Not a great food choice. Entertainment for adults zero. My son did not like the entertainment during the day. The hotel was dated and used minimum lighting. I would not go back again. This hotel is more like a three star.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

justed come back from staying ay this hotel this was a really bad hotel the decor was so dated it was actually off putting, entertainment was nil didn't have any think of an evening for familys, couples , nothing. we went half board and the food was not great at all, they dont tend to cater for children so after the 1st night we cancelled our evening meals which they still charged us for it which came to £175 after setteling are bill they refused to give us a refund, i was really shocked at the attitude from the staff and the way they justed walked away from me with out listening or trying to resolve my over charge on my bill. I would strongly advise not staying here i wont be ever again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends