“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had the great pleasure of staying a the Grande Real Santa Eulalia in January 2013 and it was a lovely experience. From the moment we arrived, we were made very welcome. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious and we had a wonderful view looking out over the beach and sea. The en suite was spacious and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was excellent with a selection of everything you could possibly want. We stayed half board and our evening meals were of a very high standard. Waiting staff were polite and courteous and nothing was too much trouble. The courtesy bus was a very useful perk, but we did walk to the old town one afternoon without any great effort. The spa was also excellent and the staff were so helpful. The weather was a little mixed, but it was January and it certainly beat the snow we left behind. The hotel was quiet, given the time of year. I would certainly highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of travelling to this part of Portugal.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the sea. Some rooms overlook the entrance and this may be noisier if you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Angela M
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, which we really appreciated.

We are happy that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you were impressed with the quality of service, facilities and food provided. We will make sure that your kind comments will be passed on to our entire team and would like to thank you on behalf of them.

We look forward to welcoming you again to the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA and hope that you will be able to enjoy more of the sunny, lovely weather the Algarve is usually known for.

Hotel Manager
Grande Real Santa Eulália

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I really loved my stay at the Grande real santa Eulalia hotel, and the only reason I haven't given it the full 5 stars are due to a few minor reasons, number 1: the old CRT TV! I have stayed in many five star hotels all over the world and even when I stayed at a 5 stars hotel in Cuba they had a flat screen TV in the room, so I was extremely surprise to find such a beautiful 5 stars hotel in a European country, in this day and age not to have a FLAT SCREEN TV in the room! 2: the stained old blue carpets, I love to walk around barefoot but I did not feel at all comfortable to do so at this hotel due to the blue carpets having so many stains on the floor, and finally number 3: I found the bed to be far too hard, however when I called Elizabeth at reception she was really understanding and arranged for a lovely lady from house keeping to put extra bedding on top of the bed for me, this helped me a lot.

The customer service is absolutely 5 stars....! I called a few days before going to the hotel and spoke to a very sweet man his name is Julio, I requested a room on the third floor, and he said he would do his best. When I checked in the hotel I had the pleasure of being greeted by Elizabeth whom I also spoke to before when I called to check the weather, she confirmed that I do have a room on the third floor, so I was extremely happy to see that Julio had fulfilled my request and the view from my room was breath taking. The lady that cleaned our room was a little angel her name is Lourdes, I am very fussy and like the rooms to have a fall deep clean and she always cleaned the room really well with her big warm smile, happy go lucky attitude, nothing was ever too much trouble for her. I found all the staff to be very friendly unfortunately I cannot remember everyone's names but I would like to thank again Julio, Elizabeth, Edgar and Lourdes for their excellent customer service. And finally I had a wonderful, relaxing time at the spa, I agree with everyone else that it's totally worth the 15 euros to use the Thalasso pool and sauna. I loved Portugal and I would stay at this hotel again, but I do hope in the near future the hotel will invest some money into giving the carpets a full steam clean and put in new flat screen TV's in all the rooms. I hope this review helps.

Room Tip: request a room on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Sunshine J
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and detailed review, which we really appreciated.

It was especially rewarding for us to read your comments about our team and how much you enjoyed the service provided by them. We will make sure that our entire team will be informed and would like to thank you on behalf of them for your kind and encouraging remarks.

Thank you also for your suggestion to clean the carpets and replace the televisions. We would like to clarify that the carpets are vacuumed daily and deep-cleaned regularly. They have some marks that cannot be removed but you can rest assured that they are in perfect hygienic conditions. We understand however that the visual impact is important and are therefore gradually replacing the carpets in the rooms.

The replacement of our TV sets is also one of our top priorities and we hope that we will be able to substitute the existing TV’s by flat screens, hopefully soon.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA for another enjoyable stay.

Hotel Manager
Grande Real Santa Eulália
Devon
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel out of season and so it was quiet and very relaxing. The food was excellent and the room spacious, clean, with a luxury en suite bathroom. The hotel, staff and amenities were first class. I got lucky with the weather and enjoyed many hours on the vast beach which had easy access from the grounds: it's stunning.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: A side sea-view gives you a superb view of the sun setting over the dense green woodland.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Christine F
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review.

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you are considering returning. It was also gratifying to read how impressed you were with our facilities, the quality of service, food and location.

Thank you so much for having shared your feedback with us and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Grande Real Santa Eulália for another pleasant stay with us.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here for a week arriving on New Year's Day. We were immediately made very welcome by all staff.

We had a suite which was top class and a perfect match for our family needs. The rooms are spacious and well appointed.

The breakfast was high quality in terms of selection and presentation. We did room service a couple of times which was really good value and well presented.

Perhaps a few more UK television channels would have helped, but otherwise this hotel was faultless.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Tom S
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all reviews, but the ones we enjoy reading the most, are the ones like yours from guests who enjoyed every aspect of their stay and who felt welcome from the very first moment on.

Thank you so much for your kind and motivating comments, which we will make sure will be passed on to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you again, hopefully soon, to the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA.

Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Check in was a breeze and very efficient.

Room was comfortable and on Reception level (room 103). There was a Mini Bar (Not Stocked) and a mini fridge. The TV was a Dated 21"CRT but it worked fine and was linked to about 30 channels. Channel 34 showed Movies in english with Portugese subtitles. There were a couple of English News Channels and VH1.

Bathroom was lovely and clean, towels were old and dated. There were bath robes which matched the towels. Its a personal opinion obviously, but they weren't big enough or fluffy enough. There were some nice toiletries supplied

There is an in room Safe with a 4-6 digit key code.

Beds were Firm and I thought very comfortable, however... the mattresses are placed on top of standard Divan bases and whenever anyone moved it was like marbles on a Drum! They made a lot of noise.

Balcony was lovely and large enough for a table with 2 chairs and room to spare.
Sliding doors which opened almost the full width of the window.

Room was air conditioned and it wasn't too noisy.

Reception and Bar area are very nice and comfortable and the Bar Staff are attentive and pleasant. The terrace area is gorgeous and I can imagine High Season gets very busy!!

Pool areas are clean nice and have plenty of seating/beds.

Breakfast is a whopping buffet... Cheese, Meats, Pastries, Yoghurts, juices, toast, lots of fruit, cakes, pancakes, cereals, sparkling wine, eggs -boiled, scrambled, fried, bacon, sausage, beans, tomatoes, hash browns... more or less anything you can think off!

Spa is lovely but very expensive... 39euros just to use the pool & gym area!!!! Keeps the riff raff out i suppose!

Service in the restaurant is poor and so is the food. It is expensive and not worth the money.
There was an Evening Buffet on one night which was 34 euros each inc local drinks... this was actually quite good, help yourself and enjoy.
However, the a la carte was another matter. I would not recommend it.

There is a beach front cafe which serves snacks and breakfast, this has a lovely location with views over the beach. Only steps from the hotel terrace/pool area. We ate lunch here most days and were very pleased with it.

In summary... The Hotel is Lovely, staff are generally good (except evening Restaurant) and friendly. The location is great. We will definately be returning. Although we would think twice in High Season, I can imagine the Hotel would be a different experience.

Room Tip: Ask for A Sea View on either Reception level or above. Restricted view on the lower levels. Except B...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Warren H
Hoteis_Real_Alg, Manager at Grande Real Santa Eulalia Resort & Hotel Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and detailed review.

It is really gratifying for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you are considering returning, which actually is the biggest compliment a Hotel can hope for. Thank you so much for this and also for your kind comments about our staff, which we really appreciated and which we will make sure will be passed on to them.

We regret, however, that you were not as satisfied with the Dinner restaurant as with the remaining facilities of the Hotel. Please be assured that our Executive Chef and F&B Management will be informed and we trust that upon your next visit you will be able to enjoy an improved experience at our restaurant.

As a small tip for your next visit, we would like to recommend taking advantage of our special Spa offers. The Thalasso Thermal circuit, for instance, is currently available at €15 instead of €39 and if you book it together with your room, we do offer even better deals. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information.

We look forward to welcoming you again for another pleasant stay at the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA.

mirfield
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Grand real is superb .
It's as the name says grand.
The reception itself is so inviting without being intimidating . It has a huge window that overloooks the pool and the ocean.
The rooms are everything you could want or expect from a 5star resort.
There is also villas scattered around if you don't want the hotel experience..
It's easy to get there . Many transfers company's on the Internet we dropped lucky with ours yellowish transfers com they are called . We found them easily in airport a young lady in yellow had our name on a yellow piece of paper welcomed us warmly , introduced to our driver in a yellow polo shirt who took us to our car with a fantastic smiley yellow fish on the side and then gave us a bottle of wait for it......... RED WINE..great service

Room Tip: dont actually think its relavent
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank leela c
Dear Guest,

We really appreciated your kind review about our Hotel and are very happy that you enjoyed every single aspect of your stay with us.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community and we look forward to welcoming you again for another memorable stay at the Grande Real Santa Eulália Resort & Hotel SPA.

Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel in late Dec. We managed to get a good deal on a studio apt. The hotel was tastefully decorated, comfortable with friendly and helpful staff. The studio apt. was very well equipped and comfortable. The apt was cleaned every day. The hotel led onto a very nice beach. The hotel courtesy bus was infrequent in Dec. but a taxi to the old town was only €5. We also visited the spa during our stay. We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and hope to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
7 Thank Kerrie006
Dear Guest,

As we already said, there is no bigger compliment than a returning guest and we are therefore really happy and proud that you are planning to visit us again.Please be assured that we will do our utmost to make your next stay with us as, or even more enjoyable, as your previous stay.

Thank you, also on behalf of our entire team, for your feedback and especially the kind comments about our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you again and remain at your entire disposal for any assistance you might require.