Review Highlights
Great Group Ride

Had a very enjoyable ride out round the local area today with a good group of people. Cafe stop... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
JBIRJOO
United Kingdom
via mobile
Cycling the Southern Coast of Portugal

I recently completed a 5-day solo cycling trip across the southern Portuguese coast from Vila Real... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
938rr
Madrid, Spain

Google
Recommended experiences in and around Albufeira
from $31.67
from $31.13
from $32.21
from $31.94
More Info
All reviews easy tour great group enjoyable ride southern coast marc cyclists route mtb countryside algarve roads tours capabilities saddle alte
Selected filters
Reviewed September 16, 2019 via mobile

I wanted to do this bike trip for my recent 50th Birthday!
My husband and I work out regularly, but we are not avid cyclist!

We received more than we expected and loved cycling along the coast and up in the hills, with spectacular views!

Yes, at times it was challenging, and we had to push our bikes uphill a few times. It was no problem, because we had the right attitude!
It was still warm in September and there was a nice breeze, too.
We enjoyed the villages we rode through, the inexpensive food,the ice cream, the wine and the friendly locals!

Everyone from Algarve Bike Holidays was amazing and very communicative.

We were given bike tools, and my husband knows how to repair a flat tire, what is important!

The hotels were wonderful and finding food and water was easy!

We also stayed a few days in Lisbon and feel in love with Portugal and cycling trips!

Claudia and Tony
Orlando, Florida, USA

Date of experience: September 2019
Paul B, Owner at Algarve Bike Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2019

Hi Claudia & Tony,

Thanks for your great review.

Regards

Reviewed August 22, 2019

The Friday Challenge Ride was superb, the climb to Foia (highest point of the Algarve) was tough in parts, but so so rewarding.

Marcos was a great guide and his local knowledge and advise enabled me to concentrate on the ride, with Marcos updating me on the gradients, water stops etc. as the ride unfolded. I found the lower sections the toughest as the ramps are steeper, but as you gained height the temperature cooled slightly and the gradients eased. So my advice would be don't panic if after just a few miles you think you may not be able to make it! If it was easy it would'nt be half as much fun! Coming from the UK it was great to be able to experience the final 9km continous climb from Monchique to the summit. The view from the summit was spectacular and there was ample opportunity explore, rest up, drink in the views and enjoy a reasonably priced coffee and ice cream from the highest point on the Algarve. A 40 minute continous descent was the icing on the cake, although there are alternative routes down which do involve some climbing if the group so wishes.

I cant fault the service provided by Algarve Bike Holidays, in sourcing a very nice flat barred road bike with flat pedals, their relaxed and friendly communications before the ride and the superb services, encouragement and local knowledge of Marcos.

If you are looking for a day away from the beach and you are a keen cyclist I cant recommend this day out highly enough. Great value and brilliantly organised

Date of experience: August 2019
Paul B, Owner at Algarve Bike Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2019

Garry, Thanks for your review, much appreciated . Glad you enjoyed the tour . Regards

Reviewed August 19, 2019 via mobile

Great service provided. I booked a road bike through email and it was followed up with a choice of bikes. I had booked the bike for 3 days, sat,sun and Mon.
They suggested I should collect the bike up late Friday afternoon so I could have it 3 full days and drop it off late Mon afternoon. On arrival I collected a lovely pinarello road bike with puncture tools and spare tube. Then I was shown a number of local routes and nice climbs on there big map in the shop.
The bike was well serviced and in great condition. Service was efficient and friendly.
Highly recommend this place.

Date of experience: August 2019
Paul B, Owner at Algarve Bike Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2019

Hi Clare, Thanks for your review. much appreciated !

Regards

Reviewed August 3, 2019 via mobile

Fantastic morning Ride. Enquired late into holiday about challenging ride on a Friday. Excellent communication via phone and email meant I could burn off some of the all inclusive I’d accrued over the week. Picked up and dropped off at hotel (which was really helpful) and despite my height (6’6”) was able to hire a well maintained carbon bike at short notice. Marco (our excellent, and very fit, guide) drove us out of Albufeira to better roads with less traffic and guided us on a fantastic route. It is challenging and the climbs are long, but not overly steep (compared to my local rides in the north York moors anyway) and the cafe stop at the stop is beautiful. Would definitely recommend, but will stress it is not for your average recreational cyclist.

1  Thank Philhowmac
Paul B, Owner at Algarve Bike Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2019

Hi Phil, Thanks for the positive review , much appreciated . Paul

Reviewed July 12, 2019

Should have writen this long ago, but better late than never! I booked a weekend cycling including the Algarve Gran Fondo which went exceptionally well. Everything was organized spot on, Marco provided great guidance on our "warm-up" ride (including the obligatory vist to the bike-cafe in Alte), and the Gran Fondo was a great mid-winter challenge! Pretty much hooked me on riding in this part of the world anythime I can get there!

Date of experience: February 2019
Paul B, Owner at Algarve Bike Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2019

Hi, Thanks very much for the review . Pleased that everything went well. Regards Paul