“Great Food, Waiters could use a term in Charm School.”

Restaurante Open Sea
Ranked #445 of 799 Restaurants in Albufeira
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Warrington, England
“Great Food, Waiters could use a term in Charm School.”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant on the first day of our stay in Albufeira. We had the usual bread and butter "couvert" with the most tasty of fish paté. For the main meal we had a chicken Cataplana it tasted so good, The only drawback was that the small chunks of chicken were on the bone, some of the chicken meat was dry and overdone, but that didn't detract from the overall taste. Without bidding one of the waiters brought us bread, and plenty of it, to help soak up the wonderful juice.
The head waiter seemed more concerned to deal with some French women, showing off with his fluent French conversation. It was quite a while between us finishing the main and the table being cleared, we then waited for the desert menu. The bill including drink cam to €37.00.
We called there again a few days later to have a drink on the pavement. I asked the waiter for the pass-code for the free WiFi, he pointed at the name of the restaurant and said capital letters, followed by a couple of numbers. The code did not work, I asked him again and he shrugged his shoulders, pulled a face and walked away. We will not return, it is a pity because the food is great, it is attitude of the staff that counts.

• Visited October 2013

Mumbles, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Had Cataplana here twice, just try it, a great dish, but order more bread and a ask for a spoon for the sauce.

Visited September 2013
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Best meal of the holiday!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Me and my partner went to this resturant on the last night of our holiday. Only problem is, we wish we had gone in there the first night as we would have gone back everynight!
Beautiful views, the most delicious food and great service! Also the best sangria I have ever tasted! Will 100% be going back next year!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Listen to the man - he knows of what he speaks!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My partner and I visited this restaurant four times during our week's stay in Albuferia - once for coffee and wifi access and three times for their beautiful seafood dishes, having perused the menu on our initial visit.

Each of the menu dishes is explained in detail by their meeter and greeter on the door so that you make an informed choice of on what you eat and how it is served. This man knows each dish in detail and is really worth listening to as he is so knowledgeable about the food.

We ate outside on each visit and enjoyed a beautiful sea view. We enjoyed the fish soup (delicious), spaghetti with clams (superb) and prawn risotto served with a twist of pesto which was deliciously rich and novel. A starter of prawns in garlic was generous and tasty as was the subtle flavours of the prawn curry which we also enjoyed. Their vinho verde complimented the seafood perfectly too.

On each of our visits we could not fault the staff who were helpful, polite, efficient and well informed on the dishes they serve. If I have a criticism it is to ask why they have to wear sailor costumes (ok I know it's called the Open Sea restaurant, but come on!).

The food had us talking for days and it'll be our first port of call for fresh seafood in a beautiful setting next time we return to Albuferia.

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Everyone has their opinion”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I've been in this months "open sea", the restaurant looked at Tripadvisor, I looked several comments good and bad, resolvir me and my family dinner on site. The reception was not the best, lacked a little smiling attendant and be more charismatic, more that did not spoil my night, it came to one entry with fresh clams taste amazing Next came the main course fresh fish and monkfish cataplanas fantastic taste wonderful, I and my family were very happy and loved the restaurant.

1 Thank maxx f