“Never again!”

Ranked #40 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed in the Ondamar hotel for 10 days with my family in September. We previously stayed here back in August 2012 and it was brilliant! Which is why we booked again. When we stayed there this time, it was nowhere near the standard it was previously at. The pool area and pool side was never cleaned and it was black with dirt. The bins were over flowing and the smell of suage was disgusting. We, along with another family we met who stayed there, had an ear infection due to the dirty pool water. The water fountains were never switched on, and the atmosphere in the bar was horrible. No entertainment what so ever! We made our way to the indoor pool on a day which was quite cold, and we found a crab in the indoor pool! It was literally crawling along the bottom. We brought it to the attention of the reception staff and they said they would send someone down to remove it. We literally were shocked, we couldnt believe there was a crab in the pool! Indoor pool! Which means it probably wasnt cleaned in a while. The equipment in the GYM doesnt even switch on! We orderded a big meal in the snackbar and i was 3 cent short and the bar staff refused to serve us our food until we got the 3 cent. After spending over 2,000 at the hotel, dont you think they would let you off with 3 cent? They were horribly rude. Rooms are very dated, but in all fairness, they were very clean, and maids were in every 2 days. But apart from that the stay was honestly dissapointing. Location was great though, but it was near the road, our hotel room, so it was noisy. Never again though, honestly the hotel has gone downhill.. Big time! I do NOT reccommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank HolidayLover2020

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Great that it is about 10\15 minute walk from both the new two on the left of they Hotel and the same distance if you take a right when u come out if the hotel to go to the old town , great location , wifi all over the hotel in lobby and it's not bad 20 euro for the week to pay for Wifi in the room , you don't mind paying that , never ate in the hotel so I can't say what the food is like went from a one bedroom to a two bedroom appartment way more spacious and worth the extra money , loved the pool but need more holiday chairs as ppl tend to put towels down on the early in the morning and go away for the day so when u come down all the bed are taken !!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kate H
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel is not a four star hotel. We stayed for 10 days. The pool and pool side area was never cleaned. Parasols were ripped and dirty, cover of the sunbeds were ripped and absolutely filthy. The sun beds were full of dirt around the sides of the beds. The floor around the pool was black with dirt and grime. There was a dirty nappy left on the side of the kids pool for hours. Half way through the holiday after asking the reception staff to send someone to clean the pool area because I was really concerned this was turning in to a health issue. I asked to discuss these problems with the manager. I brought him around the pool area and pointed out all of these dirty, filthy faults and I explained I thought it was a health issue. . After my complaint and many other peoples complaints about the dirt and grime He changed one parasol. In my opinion the manager really did not seem to care. The proof of this was, the pool area was still never cleaned.. Three of our party had an ear infection after playing in the hotel pool. My husband was in bed for two days with ear pain. I reported this to manager he still did not seem to care or clean pool area, The room we stayed in smelt of sick for two days. the noise of the lifts drove us all crazy day and night. The cupboard door of the dishwasher fell off the first time I used it and bruised my arm. The water went off in the hotel for hours. I washed my hair and put a colour on my hair I did not know water had gone off. I had to wrap a hotel towel around my hair. The next day reception called my room and wanted to charge me 50 euro for usage of the towel. The lifts broke down. I reported all of this during our stay to the manager and to the hotel reception staff. I can only suggest that the owner of this hotel needs to do a spot check and clean it up. As soon as I know how to upload my photos I will. I just want to let people know as soon as possible the dirtiness and grime of this hotel. The man that cleaned the lifts was very polite and friendly. The bar staff were very friendly polite and really nice..

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the lift. It growls day and night
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Excellent facilities, friendly, helpful staff, rooms cleaned daily, would recommend to all families. Two bedroom apartment's very spacious, with two bathrooms. Ideally located between the old and new town with plenty of local shops and restaurants within a 5 minute stroll.

3 Thank Donna R
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Ondamar for a week in August of this year. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this 4 star hotel and would definitely return!

The Ondamar boasts a range of facilities for use, including an indoor and outdoor pool, a health centre, a restaurant and a magnificent bar!

The staff were some of the friendliest and most helpful I have ever met, especially the bar and reception staff. By day 2 the bartender knew what myself and 6 companions were all drinking!

The only complaint I could have about this hotel is that they don't do enough to promote their beautiful bar, which was practically empty almost every night. They had a karaoke night on Tuesday and love music on Friday, however I think the love music kept people away from the bar.

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel! The rooms, toliets and hotel in general were absolutely spotless. If you're looking for a good hotel within walking distance of Old Town, the Ondamar should be your number 1!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Dineanddasher
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a good family hotel in a great location, supermarket 10min walk away central to both old town and new town. Happy hr at hotel makes you want to stay putt. The only thing I would have to say wrong is the cost of the wifi surely nowadays you would give it free and its unreliable too. Nothing else other than good to say the maid service was 2nd to none nice and quiet at night time too. We had 4 kids with us they just thought it was great too. The pool was although abit on the cold side was very clean and maintained on a daily basis self catering 2 bedroom rooms were huge. All the staff were very friendly happy to recomend this hotel!!!

Room Tip: 2 bedroom self catering rooms are surprisingly huge!!
1 Thank villafan007
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Spent ten nights at the Ondamar in July with my family. To say we were disappointed was an understatement. The lobby is bleak with big open spaces with little seating with a very large unsightly water fountain that was not turned on once during our ten days stay.
The rooms are very dated, the beds in the studio are the type that can fold back up into a wardrobe and are about 1;5ft off the floor. Our one was missing lats right across the middle. One thing that is very evident in this hotel is the lack of maintenance and money been invested into it. The decor is old and grubby, the shower door was loosely attached the front door lock didn't lock properly the frige door didn't close and every night we had to unplug it as the noise of it was like a John Deere tractor.
The pool area was ok. There is no lift facility to pool area so therefore I had to wait for husband or depend on others good will to give me a hand lifting baby and buggy down. Not very four stars!! The sun beds are manky and the pool toilet was constantly out of order.
With the location and gardens could really make this place something special but it looks like its a matter of time before it closes for good.
One more thing, that fab Chinese that everyone recommends across the road; avoid. When we sat down at a table of seven just as I was putting baby into high chair a large cockroach scurried across the floor from the kitchen. It was then promptly picked up by the manager and put in his pocket thinking that I didn't see it. We left at that point.

• Stayed July 2013