I have just returned from a 9 night stay with a friend. Upon arrival we were told we couldn't check in till 4pm, this was my fault as we were there by 10am on the flights I'd booked! We had a look around and everything seemed nice, we sat round the pool till 4pm waiting for our room to become available.
When we got in our room it seemed nice enough other than the bed. Our bed was a small double pull down from out of a wardrobe. Being two single early 20s lads, this was not ideal. My friend went to reception to see if they had any put up beds or even other rooms with a twin. We were told nothing could be done and that there were "bunkbeds" too... the said bunkbeds was a sofa with a wooden shelf above it fastened between two walls. I'm not sure it could hold my cats weight, let alone mine. However, we just put up with the double bed. Three other gripes were no air con, strange for a "4 star" hotel... I ended up stealing a fan out of the maids cupboard. Our fridge packed up after a few days so we could store nothing in it. Lastly, there was a purposely cut hole in the wall out to the balcony which ended up in us getting eaten alive by mosquitos.
We found the pool area really nice and the pool bar very reasonable. Also location was ideal for us, a stagger to the strip or short taxi to the old town. Oura beach was within walking distance and the hotel laid on a shuttle bus to Fishermans beach.
This does sound like a really negative review but the few things mentioned really let it down. My friend and I still had a great holiday, however, I was expecting more from a "4 star" hotel. The strange thing was the lack of guests using the main bar / restaurant... literally not a soul in there most nights?!
Had two bad meals to report, one being in the restaurant next to the Rock Cafe in Old town main square and one in Fredi's on the strip... awful! Went back to Neto's which is a short walk down towards Santa Eulalia and had the 3 best meals of the holiday... the staff even recognised us form last year. There's also a new cocktail bar down that road (up the strip, turn left at Oura beach roundabout and follow the road down) which was really nice and they'd quite clearly invested money into it, didn't eat there so cannot comment on that.
Overall, I think our holiday was as good as we'd been before, not the same hotel, but we knew where everything was etc which meant we could spend less time in our hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ondamar Hotel presents you with the best Algarve has to offer! On vacation or on a weekend away, enjoy the comfort of our facilities, the quality of our service and the professionalism of our staff. Sun, beach, pool and entertainment are the characteristics of this region, making it welcoming even in mid- winter. In 10 years of existence we have followed one goal only: your well-being. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Ondamar Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ondamar Aparthotel Albufeira, Portugal - Algarve
- Ondamar Aparthotel Hotel Albufeira