“Never again! 1st - 5th April 2013”

Varandas de Albufeira
Ranked #144 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Never again! 1st - 5th April 2013”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just returned from this hotel I was in a party of 12, Someone on this site has stated " you get what you pay for" well sorry we didn't pay for broken showers (every shower was broken, asked 3 times for maintainace, no-one came) tried to have a bath it took 3 hours for water to go down, didn't pay for sewer smelling rooms (one room had a broken cover on bathroom floor leaving it open to drains) didn't pay for mouldy sun loungers which there was not enough of. What we would have liked is for the rooms to be cleaned and not just the beds made, the bedding to have been changed a least once, to have some furniture on the balcony (well if it was clean enough to sit on, which it wasn't ) I would have liked some furniture in my bedroom (there was only a bedside table) so had to live out of a suit case.

On a positive note - breakfast was good but would only allowed side plates as staff said there was too much waste ( that's fair enough), although not much choice for lunch and dinner providing you wasn't a fussy eater the food was OK, salad was really nice fresh everyday and there was prepared fresh fruit.

Staff worked hard and were very helpful asked for extra pillows and blankets they had been put in the room on our return, they cleared the tables in dining room.

For me this hotel would scrape a 2 star.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KarenW424

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Polish first
Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 30/3 - 5/4. We sort of knew what expect by the previous reviews, all of which were mixtures of really like or really hate! The first thing you need to know is that it definitely is not 4 star, so do not expect it to be for 2 star prices!! There is no gym or Turkish bath!! The location is absolutely excellent, right beside a big shopping centre, 10 min walk to old town, and 30 min from the strip! If you cannot or do not want to walk to either of these areas, there is a stop just slightly up from the hotel for the "tourist train". This service is excellent, and runs daily from about 9 or so in the morning, until 1 in the morning!! You can get an all day ticket for just €3.50, which makes 4 stops, 2 of which are the strip and old town!!

Back to the hotel!! The rooms in our opinion were great! Each room has a fridge, microwave and hotplate. So even though we stayed all inclusive, the option is still there to make your own food! The balcony was a decent size - but make sure when checking in you ask for a pool view, as the other side gets absolutely no sun at all!!!

Nice to see we had BBC1, 2, ITV and Channel 4 on the TV..really the only downside was the 2 single beds pushed together which my wife and I had to share!!! The bathroom was quite nice, lovely powerful shower!!

There is free WiFi in the hotel, but only in 2 areas of the hotel - the games room, and reception - the password is algarve123 - I only discovered this halfway through the holiday!!!

There is one biggish pool, with a smaller kids paddling pool beside it. The water is freezing, I know, I was in it!! But after a few minutes is nice and invigorating, especially on a hot day!

The food in my opinion is the really weak point of the hotel; breakfast is lovely however!! You can always get nice sausages, bacon, scrambled egg, beans, toast, etc as well as fruit.... However lunch and dinner seemed to consist of some odd choices... Vegetarian pizza with olives, fish curry, etc!! I will stress that this is my opinion, and I am a fussy eater, so make your own mind up!! The saving grace are the bar snacks, which are served from about 3-5, ham and cheese toasties, burgers, etc. If you really can't find anyting you like, you will find a KFC and McDonalds just across the road, and a Pizza Hut in the shopping centre just beside the hotel!! You will not starve!! Also, the hotel does not keep brown sauce, so bring a bottle if you like it, as I had to buy a small bottle fromthe supermarket for €3.90!!

The variety of drinks stocked were very good, and saved us a lot of money!! Estrella Damm is the draught lager, so I was happy enough!

One thing that really needs improved on is the lack of entertainment - there is none!! A wee quiz, a bit of karaoke, or God forbid - bingo!! :)

The staff were absolutely fantastic, very lovely. The hotel is very understaffed, and you kind of felt sorry for the guy behind the bar, as at times I'm sure he was totally swamped!

All in all, if you go to this hotel with an open mind, and manage your expectations, you will find this is quite a nice base to explore Albufeira, or if you wish, just simply relax around the pool!! I would stay again, if I got a good price!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank michaeltjmellon
Durham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I always read reviews before going away but am still open minded as to what will find. What we found was a very tired looking hotel in desperate need of attention. Our room on second floor had light fittings and sockets hanging loose and on entering the room smelt like a drain. Only one lift working the week we were there and toilet on second floor also out of order.restaurant had leaking ceiling so only half in use. Food was ok. Always found something to eat even if was bread bun. Pasta really needs to be eaten fresh though and not left to stand where it will just end up a sticky lump and indelible. Certainly not enough seating in bar area which was why we ended up going to our room and sitting on balcony. It is certainly in need of sprucing up but even that would not tempt me back there again.

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having read previous reviews I did have a few doubts but I like to think I can see through some of the negative points.

I have just returned from a 5 night stay with my husband and I don't have any negative points, we have had a lovely holiday (shame about the weather) my husband can be a bit fussy when it comes to buffets but he found plenty to eat, the breakfast is very good and I had fish quite often which I must say was delicious especially the enormous pieces of hake! The drinks were of a good quality the vodka got me the first night, the staff were fantastic, I understand Karlos has just recently been promoted to the bar, keep him there he is a delight.

We met some lovely people, yes the bar area is small but it meant guests got talking to each other and as far as entertainment was concerned Mark's stag party of 12 kept us all entertained a lovely bunch of polite lads from Hull.

Talking to the other guests the general comments were we have got a lot more than we expected for the price.

Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking the road and other apartments, the rooms overlooking the pool were also overlooking other apartments apart from getting the sun during the day I see little difference in the view and as I wasn't planning on being in my room all day the room was fine, large and clean with a big bathroom and clean towels 3 times a week. All the rooms are the same with the exception of a family sized room, they don't have senior suites or superior suites this is a problem the hotel has taken up with the tour companies who are advertising it incorrectly.

Excellent value for money and yes I would recommend it to anyone.

Why do people moan after the event? If you have a problem talk to reception before slating a perfectly good hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are very quiet.
1 Thank taffswife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

If u think think this hotel is bad u r a stuck up snob! Read mixed reviews before I came so didn't no what 2 expect, but as soon as I arrived I was surprised how nice the hotel and staff were. Food is tip top and always something to eat even if u r picky. Spot on hotel and staff and WILL be returning. Lee Hughes

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank lee1987hughes
Heywood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for ten nights from the 10th Mar to 20th as a couple. The hotel is not really a four star and does need a bit of tlc such as the pool and pool area being cleaned, more and better sun beds and maybe some more entertainment. The food was and the variety and quality of the drinks was good, Carlos behind the bar worked really hard and if he wasn't serving drinks or food he was tidying up somewhere but could have done with a hand. The rooms were spacious and the bed was comfy and was kept clean. What made this hotel good for me was the people we met there so just to name a few, Ken Maureen Jimmy and Marie thanks for making it a great holiday with fond memories.

P.s Did anyone find my glass cleaner lol!

Gosport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Where to begin???
Shabby to say the least,nowhere near 4star,lucky to be 1 star.
Bath taps falling off the wall,broken tiles in bathroom,black mould around sink sealant.
Only one lift working throughout 2 week stay.
No waiter service in so called restaurant,trollies provided to clear your own tables.
3x 2 slice domestic toasters provided to cook toast which took about 8 minutes to work.
Large flood in dining room which appeared to come from the swimming pool present during duration of holiday,dirty cloths used to mop it up.Alcove in dining room covered in black mould and plaster flaking off, disgusting.
Breakfast just about adequate,but dinner was pretty much inedible most of the time,very,very poor quality for a so called 4 star.
I spoke to a lot of guests and 95% were not satisfied and could not wait to leave

Room Tip: don' go there
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank constance616264
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Hotel Paraiso de Albufeira
Real Bellavista Hotel & Spa
Real Bellavista Hotel & Spa
#44 of 163 in Albufeira
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,866 reviews

Been to Varandas de Albufeira? Share your experiences!