$392
$578
Vila Joya(Gale)
$1,695
3,213 results
All reviewsthomas cook repsself cateringhotel paraisoold townoff licencekids clubgames roomcrazy golfentertainment teamcan't comment on the foodbit datedoutdoor poolgreat holidaylarge hotelfamily holidayall inclusive foodone bedroom apartment
Reviewed November 1, 2008

After having read some very mixed reviews here I was not sure what to expect. I am usually quite a "forgiving" customer and I have stayed at some average places and some great places so I am hoping this review will be as honest a view as possible.

When we arrived the rooms were not ready for us so we were directed to the "restaurant" on the first floor near the pool. We decided to go outside and ate at the snack bar instead. This was alright, although the staff there really do need to go back to charm school as they are lacking in any basic manners or customer service quality. They really did make you feel like you were putting them to so much trouble if you asked for any thing but drinks. I have a five year old son and when he spilt ice cream after the over-sized dollop fell off of his cone I as met with a look that could have frozen hell by the sour-faced woman who worked there when I asked her for two more. You would have thought I had asked her to lick it up! I also had to tell my son he could not have strawberry sauce on his ice cream as this was not part of the all inclusive option!! The other staff were no better and there was never any hint of Ps and Qs from them.

In general, the hotel staff were very cold towards guests and made the stay a little sour. This is supposed to be a four-star establishment and I would expect at least a small amount of warm hospitality.

The food:
Basically, the food is rubbish. We stayed all inclusive and were looking forward to the quality we had received when staying in Kenya last year. Remember, that's a 3rd world country! The food lacked any kind of variety at breakfast, lunch and dinner and you even have to get your own drinks from a bar and take them to your table in the main "restaurant" which, as others have said, is a basement affair with moody staff clattering plates around. This would have been a service they might have offered and would have made the holiday a bit better. The breakfast and lunch area really is canteen style and the food is very dull and not too warm. We also ate for free at the "Portuguese Corner" in the a la carte restaurant which was also disapponting - basically the other restaurant food served by a waiter - this did make a change, though, having a little bit of four-star service. It was still made clear you were an all-inclusive guest and were sitting "next to the a la carte" section where guests were enjoying apparently good food!

The rooms:
We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment. The amenities are basic, but the room was big. That's it really. The beds are awful - the hardest I have ever slept on and I found it difficult to sleep. I woke up every morning with back pain.

The pool:
The childrens pool is basically a big pond and very very cold and lacks space near it when parents need to be next to the pool to keep their eye on their children, although the main pool looks OK, but I did not dare go in it after dipping my toes in as it was freezing. Also, be prepared to have to wear a swimming hat for some reason in the indoor pool. The staff can be very rude about this too. My partner was sat at the edge of the jacuzzi dangling my four-month old daughter in when the pool attendant started banging on the window pointing to her/his head. Her hair was not even near the water!

Entertainment:
The entertainment was a Thomas Cook team who were great with kids, but that seemed to be it. They then shut down half way through the week in the main disco area as the season was finishing.

Overall:
All in all it is definitely a low-budget place but not at low-budget prices. The staff are unwelcoming, the food was poor and the pool needs a heater. One bonus, the grass area outside our room was very good for my son and his friend to play out on. Would I go back? No chance - and this was the view of virtually everyone else I spoke to whilst there. With it being the end of the season, it seemed every one had just had enough. However, when you are paying half-term prices you still expect the staff to be working as if it were the first day of the season. Also, when there was some poor weather, the snack bar closed down and you had to go up to the bar to have a snack. Remember, this is Europe and better standards can be found in the third world where they do not take the influx of tourists for granted and value the money the guests bring in. Also, they know how to smile and create a warm, welcoming atmosphere and the prices are also not massively different. This was my first time in Portugal and I felt a bit let down and am hoping my holiday on the Silver Coast in Portugal next year will be better.

Hope the review helps.

Sorry if you have already booked but this is as true a review as possible and I am not a "truly discerning" customer who is inclined to moaning about the smallest thing.

2  Thank BMMLancashire
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Myself and my two friends (we are 34, 35 & 50) stayed here for a four night All Inc break in the sun.

The physical hotel itself was good. Spacious 1 bedroom apartment and plenty of wardrobe room and drawers etc. The bathroom was looking worn but certainly had all it needed. Maid service was a bit hit and miss with what she did.

The 'nightclub' was a kids disco and then entertainment by the Thomas Cook team. They certainly worked for their money and were quite funny at times. The singers in the other bar were torturous!

The AI food was also hit and miss for us. The hotel appeared to sometimes get things very right and the food was hot and tasty, othertimes it was luke warm and some of it blatantly last nights main meat sliced up and served cold. The breakfast/lunch & dinner was buffet style and that was the only one we tried. The outside snackbar (slice pizza, chips, hotdogs) was great though!

My encounters with the reception staff and some of the waiters in the hotel left me feeling a little cold. For example, you can get a card at reception (free) which you can then swap for a towel at the pool. So, when we checked in and got the 'welcome pack' with bar/food times and a list of do's & don't's why would they not give us the pool towel cards? Not a big deal, but the attitude of the staff when trying to find out bits and pieces like that were so unhelpful! One woman at the snack bar was just plain miserable........

This is not the place to go if you are looking for lively and we certainly saw many happy children and familys around. It was not a bad hotel by any means and there were positives about it. Plenty of sunbeds, spacious enough to be away from kids/bar etc. All Inc drinks were plentiful.

We went to the new strip once and some of it was closed up. My impression was lots of bars and restaurants. Some nice, some tacky looking. We walked through the old strip and it had some renovations going on but it all appeared to still be open.

The weather was fab! Odd bits of cloud an a thunderstorm once but other than that very very warm!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank ctye
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Myself & My boyfriend have just returned from 10 days at the paraiso. To be honest i was petrified after reading some reviews on this site, but my mind was put to rest as soon as we arrived. I will admit that i had a problem with the room but it wasnt the problem of the hotel it was more to do with the agency that we booked with. We should of had a 1 bedroom apartment with poolview but instead we had a studio with no poolview. We soon got over that. The room was clean and had everything that you need for self catering. As was said before the beds are Very hard but you get used to it. I did get a feeling that you were better looked after if you were all inclusive but to be honest It would be hard to fault this hotel & I am so fussy when it comes to accomadation. The pool area was lovely but the water was cold but we expected this anyway. We only ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night and it was fine so i can't really comment on the standard of food for AI visitors. All in all we had a great holiday, the location is perfect..10 mins from the strip and maybe 15-20 to the old town, we walked to the old town once and got taxis every other time for €3.90. I would definitely stay here again but this time would make sure that i got the room that i requested.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gel79
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We have stayed in Albuferia 5 times so now the area well. After reading the reviews we decided to try the Paraiso. Sorry, but I must have stayed at a different hotel to all the other people who wrote reviews. It is not a 4 star , and have doubts over a 2 star. we have stayed in 3 star hotels in Albuferia that would knock spots off the Paraiso. On arival we went to our room, they were big but not clean, hairs in the bath,balls of fluff in the bedroom etc. Still we had come for a week of rest. If you like hot dogs, chips, chicken nuggets, etc then you will not be disappointed. There was a salad bar, but everything was dry, as if it had been prepared hours earlier. The breakfast was served in a different area, it was like a canteen, terrible.We had our 2 year old granddaughter with us, the paddling pool had tiles missing from the floor of the pool which was quite sharp. The play area was filthy, after 2 daysof it not being cleaned, my daughter went to reception to ask if it could be cleaned up, there was tomatoe sauce on the steps of the slide there were paper plates and chips on the floor, melted ice cream everywhere, She was told to go and see the manager, who didn't want to know., but did come to the area about half an hour later and organised a cleaner, he also took away the only swing which was split, and he said he had another one, but in the 5 days were had left it never arrived.
I will say, that the reps worked hard and they put a lot of effort into the kids disco. The furniture in the room must have been tatty and the had sprayed it in blue paint, yes blue paint because after a few days we noticed that our granddaughter had all blue over her clothes and shoes, and when we looked at our clothes more carefully we had blue marks on them as well. reception didn't care about the clothes and just came up and threw sheets over the furniture. We spoke to a few people staying at the Paraiso and all were dissapointed.One family refused to move into their room as it was so damp and smelt, another family who arrived from Manchester at 9.30 am was told they could not have their room until 2pm and even though they were all inc the could not have any meals or drinks untill 2pm, so after being up all night they had to do down to Macdonalds to feed their 3 kids. Then they would only be allowed 2 sunbed matresses, and 2 pool towels, even though there was 5 of them. Sorry but we would not stay there again and its not that we expect the earth, but a nice meal that was freshly cooked and people that were a bit more polite, after all this hotel is marketed as 4 star.

2  Thank SouthWalesSunseeker
Reviewed October 19, 2008

we stayed at the paraiso for one week. We are a couple in our 60's We were on the 8th floor and stayed in a studio. The room was spotless and our linen was change most days.I would go back again.
At the pool the reps worked hard and had many activities on during the day. They also had one at night too but can't comment on that.
We did go to the pub that had a singer on at night. The nights I went they were enjoyable.
the hotel was very large and I can understand how the last comment was poor if you had been placed at that side of the hotel. The best idea is to get a high floor as we did. We did not have a pool view but overlooked the front of the hotel and was good for people watching.
A enjoyable stay