“just keeps getting better”
Review of Bayside Salgados

Bayside Salgados
Ranked #46 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
hayes middx
“just keeps getting better”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

just back from bayside our 3rd time i was lucky enough to stay for a month this time.we have watched this place change so much in a month painting going on inside and outside the apartments.ours had been freshly painted inside it made so much difference but we watched flat screen tv's going in everyone here is working so hard to update everything here. we also met lots of people here and most of the complaints here are caused by travel agents who do not supply people with the correct information about bayside so people expect things like sea views which is impossible the sea is a 20 min walk away uphill. also they have the impression that they are in albufeira old town which is 6km away at least 10 euros each way in a taxi. the reason for the mixed reviews is peoples idea of what they want in a holiday. we personaly love the bayside for where it is, in the countryside peacefull and quiet beautifull beaches and nice pool area. to find restaurants and bars you need to go out walking to find them although bayside restaurant is very good and there is a cafe next door too. if it's nightlife you seek loads of shops restaurants and bars outside bayside is not for you unless you hire a car then it's a wonderfull base. these apartments are very clean the staff are wonderfull and friendly. any faults i reported were sorted out straight away. so thankyou bayside see you again another year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lindaHayesMiddx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Polish first
Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were apprehensive when we booked because of some of the reveiws ,but decided that we would try this place as it sounded just what we wanted. When we arrived the night porter took us to our apartment and we were told to book in at reception in the morning. We were plesantly suprised. The apartment was clean and spacious. In the morning we went to the reception and we met John. He was really friendly and helpful . We booked a few excurtions and he told us how to get to the beach, shop etc.Also told us about the bingo ,quizzes and other things going on. We thought that the restuarant was really good and never in the eight days we were there had a bad meal. We had a lovely view from our room and a grassed area off our patio . In the eight days we were there we had clean bed linen three days and towels every other day. Our bins were regularly emptied and floors swept. We would definetly go back again . It was excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janice R
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Firstly I'd like to say that I like many others felt wary about our booking at the Bayside in the weeks leading up to our holiday, due to the many deceptive, inaccurate and downright picky reviews of this complex... We arrived 10.30am on the 22nd of May 2013 after a very quick and easy flight with Easy jet and an equally quick transfer on the Resorthoppa Green bus, where we were greeted by an extremely friendly Christina who explained that our room would not be ready until 12. This was no problem as we were offered a place to leave our suitcases and change into our swimming things which was great as my 11 yr-old daughter was eager to get in the pool and my partner and I wanted to get on the numerous and comfortable sun loungers and soak up some well needed sun!
Barely 35mins later (an hour earlier than expected) we were told our rooms were ready and we went up to our apartment. We were on the 1st floor and yes the stairs are twisty, but no problem, just get the strongest in your party to carry up the suitcases! The room was clean, bright, airy and more than adequate for our week long stay. The studio apartment had 2 large beds pushed together and a sofabed at the other end of the room. A large balcony overlooked the nice gardens. The kitchenette area was clean with a kettle, microwave, sink, and an electric 2-ring hob, and more than enough cutlery and crockery. This again was more than adequate! To the people complaing about the lack of facilities for cooking - If I'd wanted to cook more complex meals I would've stayed at home and used my own kitchen! We had bacon and eggs a few mornings, sandwiches a few afternoons and ate out at the excellent nearby Snack Bar Perolas Dos Salgados, which is owned by the lovely Pedro and is situated approx 100ft from the Bayside's entrance. The food in there is delicious, cheap and is well worth trying. Pedro and his family, like all the Portuguese locals are very friendly and will say hello. A lot of locals eat at Pedro's Snack Bar so they too must like and enjoy the restaurant and bar.
Back to the Apartments, we weren't in one of the refurbished rooms with flat screen TV's but in no way was our room substandard. Yes, the was a little rust on the outside of the fridge but the inside (the important bit) was spotlessly clean and worked perfectly. Same with the TV... Yes it was small and had only 2 BBC channels but if I wanted to spend a week watching TV I would've stayed at home! Bathroom was spotlessly clean and fully functional. The only thing I didn't like about the room is that I found the beds to be a bit hard, but that is a matter of preference - for all I know I might find the Hilton Hotels beds too hard. The maids came in 3 times a week and cleaned up and made the beds. The towels weren't changed but there were more than enough, and it wasn't a problem as my mum always taught me to wash the dirt off in the water and not on the towel! They dried on the balcony in a matter of minutes. We'd brought our own beach towels.
The pool was cold but the sun was hot! I found jumping straight into the pool then swimming for a bit was the quickest way to get used to the cold but refreshing, clean large pool.
There is entertainment 4 nights a week dependant on people turning up. My daughter loves karaoke so got the evening going on the Friday night. It was a great evening had by all, thanks go to 'Big John the DJ' who, like all the other Bayside Staff is friendly, helpful and pleasant.
The supermarket is a slow 10min walk away and the beautiful Salgados beach is a further 5mins away. The bus goes daily from the Bayside Salgados to Albufeira, leaving at 10am and returning at 3pm for €1.75 per person each way. Book the bus in reception. There are loads of shops, cafes, bars and restaurants in Albufeira old town and another beautiful beach, all well worth a visit.
I honestly cannot fault one thing about our holiday at the Bayside, and I hope my positive and honest review of these brilliant apartments will stop any others who are worrying about an upcoming holiday at the Bayside. We all feel sad to be home! Thank you John, Christina, Luis and all the other wonderful staff at the Bayside Salgados for a wonderful holiday, we will be back soon! From Kim, Lee and Louisa x

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank KimDavis145
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this apartment and before I went to Portugal I was apprehensive because after reading the reviews, I realised the apartment would be terrible. I was wrong. The apartment was great. We arrived late in the night & the manager was awake to welcome us. We had 2 three bed apartments, which were clean and the cleaner also came and cleaned it twice during our 5 night stay. The view is beautiful. It isn't a sea view, but there is greenery and its a very quiet and peaceful location. It is quite far out from the hustle and bustle but its very relaxing.

The apartment has a bar and a restaurant which provides lovely food. There is a small shop next door, which is also a cafe. There is a supermarket which is a slow 10 mins walk away, and there is the salgados beach, which is a slow 15mins walk away. It isn't very far at all. The Salgados beach is joins onto the gale beach, I think that's what it is called, which is part of the old town and there are places to eat there and shop. There is also a flamingo beach which joins onto the Salvador beach, from where you can see flamingos in the water, hence it's name.

The location of the apartment is not great if you want to be in the hustle and bustle. Although, me and my 5 friends that went were all between the ages of 18-19 and we loved were we stayed because it was relaxing & calm & we always just took a taxi in and out of Albufeira during the day for lunch & shopping & excursions, and then in the evening for dinner and nightlife at the strip. Taxis from the apartment to Albufeira cost us about €15, definitely less that €20 and we had to get a bigger taxi because there were 6 of us.

The staff are very accommodating as they provide lots of detail about event that's are happening, different activities they provide, and things we can do with Luther companies like excursions, biking, marine life, watch bull fighting etc. The staff are very attentive.

Anyways, the apartment is very nice. The staff are helpful. The only downside to the apartments would be that the hairdryers provided are very poor as they only work for a minute and then stop working. This happened to both the hairdryers in both the apartments we had booked. Also, there are a number of cats that roam the hotel, and as someone who fears them, I was always scared.

The apartment has a swimming pool and also a small jacuzzi. The only problem is that both the jacuzzi and the pool are very cold,neither have a heat setting, which is especially odd for a jacuzzi. Besides that, both the pool and the jacuzzi are clean, and the apartment overall was spotless.

I cannot see why people have complained. The price paid for this apartment is one for a 3* apartment, so why are people expecting 5* treatment. You get what you pay for. This is supposed to be a very basic self-catering apartment. However, in my opinion, this apartment is not basic, and is actually a top end 3* apartment, and mate should be reclassified into a 4*.

People expecting the hilton need to open their wallet, stop being stingy, and pay for somewhere equivalent to the Hilton.

Bayside salgados is beautiful, and the bad reviews just make people anxious for no reason.

• Stayed September 2012
8 Thank Tasy247
Dumfries and Galloway
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Returned to Bayside this May 2013 and had a brilliant holiday. The place is located in a lovely quiet spot but just a short taxi ride will get you to the bright lights of Albufeira and the strip. The nearby beach is wonderful, no crowds. The staff are really friendly and helpful, rooms clean and spacious. This hotel is excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Stairs to first floor are spiral and narrow, get a ground floor apartment if you struggle with stair...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank SueMad2107
Telford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We visited this hotel 12 th may to 19th may most expensive week of my life where do
I start first off asked for a sea view no sea in sight nearest beach was 10/15 mins walk
Away from hotel on a dirt path this also the way to the neatest supermarket which
Was a total rip off . Other guests also had been led astray with this . Nothing around or near hotel only if you walked for 15 mins then only 3 restraunts with 1 out f 3 being cheapest at around 10euro per person per meal with no side of salad or chips just the dish you ordered . Nearest town Albufera was 13/14 euro each
Way in taxi cab .
We did book an historic tour of algarve & paid 30.00 euro each to be sat on a coach
For 7hours with only 2 hours out of those 7 off the coach every place we toured also
Came with an added price for entry ranging from one euro fifty to 2euro fifty per person
And lunch being 13 euro per person we were also charged to use a public toilet at 50 cent per person wish we had saved our money .
We also found that the rooms were very basic and dated not cleaned and beds not
Made nor towels that already looked and smelt dirty changed and if you wanted room
Cleaned beds changed or clean towels this came with a charge form hotel photos added .
I wish I had been on trip advisor before booking this holiday and could have saved us a lot of money for a basic holiday that cost the earth they say potaguese rely on us tourists so I don't understand why they fell the need to rip us off . Will review all others before booking next time .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

cheshire, uk
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Having read other reviews we knew the accommodation wasn't great but as this came as a package deal we made the most of it!
The accommodation was of a poor, tired, outdated, standard and the kitchen facilities worse (rusty fridge, very old portable electric hotplate), so not an acceptable standard and certainly no good for families or anyone on a limited budget who needed to self cater.

The hotel felt quite isolated. There were beautiful beaches a 10min walk away (with 3 lovely restaurants on beach), but the area seemed to be more residential

• Stayed May 2013