“good location”

Ranked #111 of 124 Specialty Lodging in Albufeira
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“good location”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

this hotel is in a good location just a short walk from "the strip" with a great irish bar over the road, we were golfing and it suited us down to the ground. they have a free minbus that takes you the the old town or beach every hour.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank c8hoc

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 12, 2011

do not go there we stayed in the 99 club apartments also part of the hotel where the rooms are only fear and the staf were lazy and light fingered , on the second day my wifes ring was stolen from the room and got no sadisfaction from the mangaement or the police, we did not see the cleaning that were working on that day for the rest of the week, so take my advice if your going to stay there dont not leve any thing in the room

• Stayed September 2010
6 Thank derek41

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Reviewed August 31, 2010

Just returned from 2 weeks in Clube 99. Started in GO4 which is spacious compared to apartments in block 99. We arrived as a group of 12 and were situated in two different parts of the hotel. One group placed on the third floor, with no lift, buggy and suitcases. After much determination eventually moved after 3 days. Our apartment was very clean. Security grills on windows made you feel secure at night and could be opened to let in sunlight. Kitchen okay but no oven - only a mircowave oven which was hard to cook in. Beds hard and small singles - fine if you are 11 years old. . No double bed, sofa beds in the front room more comfortable and spacious. Pillows found in cupboards. Terrace spacious and fantastic view. One bed ensuite with other bathroom right next door to bedroom. Great for two sets of family sharing as can make your space your own. Staff very friendly, one even translated instructions for medication I had to buy out there. Portugal overall quite expensive especially in comparison to spain. Save costs by travelling to modeleo supermarket where prices are much cheaper - approximately 5 euros in the cab and can stock up. Hotel provides courteous bus to old town and beach every day except monday and sunday which is a bonus. Buses run every hour. Beach in old town much nicer other one has lots of pebbles. Sun lounger on beach very expensive - 15 euros for 2. Clube 99 swimming pool much quieter, lots of space for children and buggies, however poolside bar very expensive - 2.50 for a small can of coke. Suggest you take snacks. Ticket shop (on the strip) great prices for outings - 6 euros for market, 11 euros for lisbona, 29 for auqashow and 12.50 for sunset safari. Bargain prices in comparison to others. Apartments easy access of strip however far away enough from noise. Lorna (think that's how it's spelt) cocktail bar fantastic - cocktails specials and non alcoholic cocktails for the kids which was a hit. Not very far down the strip either. Overall fab holiday and good accommodation. Apartments def a 3 stars but overall good for family needs.

• Stayed August 2010
5 Thank greenbee99
West of Ireland
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We are just back from a week break in Clube 99 Montechero, these appartements are very basic and in bad need of repair. We complained to the management of the Montechero Hotel who run these appartments but we found them very rude and no ways helpful. The cooker had no markings on it so it was impossible to know whether it was on or not. We also complained about the bathroom as the toilet seat needed replacement as it had pieces coming off it, also the base of the bath was also in need of replacement as there was pieces of the bath coming away from the base. The ceiling in the bathroom was very poor and was also in need of replacement, you would think it was going to come down on you with the steam, no fan in the bathroom. The shower was just a disaster, when you put on the shower the pressure would sent the hose all over the place and this left the bathroom resembling a swimming pool on the floor. We complained several times as regards the above but it got us no where. The staff on the front dest of the hotel were extremely rude and no ways helpful. I requested a room at the back of the block as we have small children but instead we were put at the front and the noise and racket at night was terrible. I explained that the bathroom was no ways health to have people using it in thoses conditions but they passed no head on me. The swimming pool was lovely and clean but that is all I could say as regards this accommodation. I would not recommend these appartments to anyone and certainly not anyone with small children. Dreadful is how I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank Irish6733
Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I recently spent a week in montechoro clube 99. i travelled with 3 children ages ranging from 5 -14 and my mother. we arrived at the hotel at 1.15 in the day and they told us our bungalow was not ready but to come back in half an hour, but after an hour it still was not ready, Finally at 4 oclock we got into it, they told us it needed a big cleaning and that was what caused the delay. T he bungalow was lovely , exactly what i had requested directly opposite the pool. The pool was lovely , very clean and not very busy so it was very easy to watch the children, so after the bad start we were happy enough. Thankfully my husband and i decided to sleep downstairs because at 4.00 in the morning i was woken to breaking glass. i thought somebody was breaking in. My husband looked out the window and saw 2 guys standing at the front firing bottles at the windows.They broke the toilet window and stood outside staring in for ten minutes. Itwas acomplete nightmare. I rang reception and asked for help, at this stage the children were up and extremly frightened. 10 to 15 min later a security gaurd from the hotel arrived.He looked around, handed my husband a baseball bat and asked my husband to help him look for them! Naturally they were gone. So no sleep night one! In the morning the manager at reception told us these things happen and is totally out of their control.They moved us to a villa behind the hotel which was fine, but all the villas have shutters on the windows for security which is quiet off putting after night one. Ther was graffiti on the wall outside this villa saying"we are watching you" and "thieves around". Children can read!!"The rest of the week was fine , little things like when the toilet upstairs was flushed the smell of sewage downstairs was terrible and lingered for hours. W e made acomplaint to management about the whole thing .He smiled nicely abd told me he would look into it.From what i heard all week they are well used to getting complaints. It turned out there was a major party for 3 nights in a row in the first place we had been given and the guys came back to get revenge on the people who had been staying there. Basically we spent our nights afraid. If anybody threathens you in the bungalows or villas you are really on your own. When we were checking out at 4 am in the morning the girl at reception was rude and unfriendly. At the end of the day you work hard for your holiday, i dont expect 5 star in sef catering, but i never had to complain anywhere i stayed before . Montechoro Clube 99 never again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank deedee_090
Meath
Reviewed May 27, 2010

I booked this holiday last minute with my Husband and I've never been so looking forward to the journey home! There was no swimming pool, the room was so terrible I couldn't stay there. I asked to be moved to the Hotel as I was so discussed with the quality of the accomodation. They wanted 170 euro to change!! There was no hot water! You could not open the bathroom door. The list goes on.... And if you like depressing music then you are sorted because Eire Isle will be right up your street you will hear it till 3 in the morning!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank happyhappyMeath
london
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Clube 99 are apartments that are part of the montechoro hotel. They are directly across the road from the hotel which sits at the very top of ‘the strip’ in Albufeira. The apartments are very clean and everything that you could ask for in a self catering apartments. My wife and I booked this last minute for a week away at the start of October and the price was very low at around three hundred quid self catering, accommodation and flights for the both of us. They were described by the sales rep as 4 star but the sign on the door of Clube 99 states 3 star, however I would consider these to be a 4 star standard, because bed linen and towels were changed daily and there was ‘hotel montechoro’ soap and toiletries in the bathroom (my wife was keen for me to state that although the shower looked old it was very powerful as a bad shower is something that bugs her about hotels). There is no pool for the apartments but we were allowed to use the hotel pool which was very close (less than a minute apt to poolside). Loads of sunbeds at the pool and again very clean and quite relaxing.

The hotel seemed empty for the first few days of our stay and the pool was virtually ours. On our second last day loads of elderly Irish people turned up, obviously on a tour package and the place was pretty packed. They seemed to be staying in the hotel itself and were on an all inclusive basis, this meant the restaurant started to become more lively and the food looked to be quite good and seemed reasonably priced compared to the other restaurants in the area/on the strip, although we didn’t actually eat there. The arrival of the tour wrecked the decorum a bit but it was too good to be true to have it all to ourselves and we were still able to get a sunbed. I think that it is probably not geared for families with children, as the pool didn’t have any kids facilities (there was a small baby pool, but I mean in terms of slides of toys etc) and the fact that you had to cross the road to use the pool etc. I acknowledge that we were there out of family season but it just seemed a more adult type of place. All in all for what we paid it was a great place and exceeded our expectation as accommodation goes.

I feel I should state a few observations regarding the local area and Portugal itself. Firstly Albufeira is pretty grim. ‘The Strip’ is the stereotype of your worst egg and chips holiday nightmare. If your idea of a holiday is to eat the worst greasy spoon food for every meal while drinking English beer and watching either football or X-factor then you will love it. ‘The Strip’ is nowhere near the beach and is just a street lined with pubs and cafe and shops selling tourist tat. I can imagine that in the height of summer the place is thronged with people just getting completely wrecked. I imagine that for the bar owners that it is like shooting fish in a barrel and that value for money and customer service is not an issue. We were actually sworn at by a bar man for asking if they were able to serve a cup of tea. All this is fine as some people may want this sort of thing and indeed one way or another it kept us amused for the few times we decided to frequent ‘the strip’. However the major issue was the price of food and drink here. Indeed Portugal as a whole was not particularly good value. The prices generally, and I don’t just mean in Albufeira, were more expensive than London. A meal for two usually consisting of two main courses, a half bottle of house wine and maybe two espressos were consistently about 35 to 45 euros. This is a good 10 to 15 euros more than what the same type of fare on the southbank in London would be and it would be a damn sight better quality. Albufeira is not just about ‘the strip; and has an old town which is quite nice. We had dinner in one of the seafront hotels there. My Portuguese steak and my wife’s pasta were both microwaved and horrendous so it put us off going back for dinner to any of the other places as the atmosphere felt as if they were just pumping out the same crap but in slightly nicer environment for the slightly wealthier tourists. I would say that when you stay away from the tourist places the standard of the food is much better and infact there is a little place just 5 minutes walk from the Hotel Montecherro where we had lunch one day. It was a modern looking coffee/pastry shop where a lot of locals seemed to be eating. The food was good and price was reasonable and to top it all off the staff were pleasant and professional. I think it was called something like the ‘mole pastilleria’. My lunch came with chips as does a lot of the food in the Algarve, but this just seems to be the way it is even in the local restaurants we went to.

My wife is a vegetarian and she struggled a bit with getting anything or at least anything other than chips and cheese toasties, but it is just one of those things, the Portuguese are obviously not big vegetarians.

The Hotel Montechoro and Clube 99 were good and you probably could spent you whole holiday there very pleasantly and not even see ‘the strip’ as it is right at the very top, however there is one monstrosity that reminds you of where you are every time you walk out of the front door and that is Erins Isle Irish pub, in fact I’m doing a disservice by calling it a pub, it is actually a complex. You will recognise it at once if you only think of two words ‘Las Vegas’. I’ve never been but i imagine this is what the most tacky bits of Las Vegas look like, made all the more worse by the fact that they blare music and chatter out of a loud speaker day and night. My wife and I referred to it as the mothership as it styled itself as a home away from home for all paddies, plastic or real, for the greater Albufeira area (I don’t know if being Irish myself made it a better or worse an experience). On the few occasions that the constant stream of slurry stopped being ‘broadcast’ I got very concerned that something was wrong and the end may well have been nigh, such was the incessant nature of the thing.

Don’t get me wrong once inside the apartments one was oblivious to all of this, but never the less I feel that the montechoro hotel was once and 5 star hotel (I’m talking 1960’s here) that attracted the great and the good until Erin’s Isle got planning permission or whatever the Portuguese equivalent is.

Anyone who is considering the Clube 99 should probably only read the first have of this review and take no notice of my rants about Albufeira and Erin’s Isle.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple