“The hotel itself was lovely, very noisy though for a family holiday, it was filled with 'partying' young people... Or I'm just g”

Janelas do Mar Apartments
Ranked #39 of 122 Specialty Lodging in Albufeira
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

A good, clean, value for money hotel. It is a good walk to the Old Town, the beaches and The Strip. The staff were quite helpful considering what they had to put up with! There were a LOT of rowdy young people who were very boisterous. Causing apartments to flood etc. there is a supermarket about 10mins walk away, that will save you a ton. There was also a shortage of sun loungers by both outdoor pools and we were not there in peak time, so can only imagine how bad it would be in the height of summer. But even with all of the negatives we had a fabulous holiday, enjoyed by all.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank larocb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Oldham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend, for our first holiday together in 2010. We arrived at night so went straight up to the room. The room was huge! a huge kitchen and dining area, lounging area and a separate bedroom area. We had 2 balconies, one leading off from the lounge area and one leading off from our balcony. We could see the strip from our bedroom and the pools from our lounge balcony.

I think that its in a good location, right on top of hill so you can see the hotel from a lot of places. If you ask which the quickest way to the strip is the rep will tell u a long way round but there is a shortcut across some wasteland which takes just 10 minutes. They don't like to tell you about this though as they don't know whether it is safe to walk across or not. Myself and my boyfriend were safe enough walking across it!

The jacuzzi isnt warm, if anything it is colder than the indoor swimming pool which in itself isnt warm!

I think that this hotel is ok for couples or hen and stag do's but not for families! Theres just not enough for children to do!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heather Louise T
Great Sankey, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have just arrived back from a week long stay at the Janelas do Mar where I had holidayed with my mum and my 8 month old baby. Whilst we found the apartment itself adequate, clean and all essentials there just a little tired decor wise and need of a new bathroom.
The main issue we had was with the noise at night and the pool facilities during the day. There were no umbrellas at all down by the pool which is awkward with a baby or small children when there is limited shade. Also the family pool and more importantly the baby pool were constantly in use by the large groups of young men staying there who seemed to use it as a hot tub.
At night the complex is very noisy thanks to the karaoke that is on most nights, as the air con is 15 euros a day you have to sleep with the windows open. Worse there is a villa right next to the hotel with two guard dogs which bark ALL night. The large groups of teens also return back the apartment at any time from 2am to 7am.
This is a great apartment for young people but I wouldn't recommend it to families.

Room Tip: All the blocks are noisy but block two is probably the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sarah W

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I'm not going to go into too much detail, all I will say is that the staff are incredibly unwelcoming and unfriendly, the place is full of noisy stag parties and if you are looking for a relaxing holiday you will certainly not find it here.
Due to the apartments being cheap it draws a lot of undesirables, it certainly did during our 2 week stay in June.
If you can, just spend a bit more money on better accommodation, I can assure you it will be money well spent!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaime B
taunton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

we returned from the janelas do mar this morning at 2.30 am after a delay at faro airport with easy jet. before we booked we looked at previous reviews and we appeciated that not every one has the same taste but i have to say they were spot on and are definately not worth anymore than a 2 at the best.

our apratement was let down by a shower head that wouldnt stay up so we had to use a belt and tie it for our duration and we had a leaking toilet which was reported on day one but was never fixed so we ended up putting thier towels around the base of the loo to stop disgusting water from sitting on the bathroom floor. it was a shame as we were in block 3 room 703 and had amazing views from both balconys. from the bedroom balcony we had a brilliant spot to watch the football and was gutted to miss the sheffield wednesday games as we left to return home.

the apartements are a way from anything, we wished we had been down in the town as there was more life and stuff going on at night. if you like walking loads and loads and loads to get to strip, beach, old town, shops etc then you are ideally placed otherwise you need to be paying from 3 euros 90 to 5euros to get down to the town, this adds up to over 100 euros as went down most days and nights so we would have been better to have paid more and stayed in some lovely hotels in the town area.

old town is lovely and a must see if you go there. it has loads of atmosphere and at night street entertainment, market, lots of shops, bars and there is a lovely beach which we didnt manage to get to. the strip is as you would expect bar after bar after bar after bar nothing else.

wot can i say about the pool area!!!!! when we arrived the pool area by block 3 was lovely and had a real family atmosphere but as the week went on it had less and less family presence there and this was because it was literally over run by large groups of boys, men, girls. i have to say the group of girls were all very good and respected others around them but the lads were bloody rude and ignored anything that was said to them, boom boxes high, then anuthor group with music, then there was the pool bar music it was horrendious def didnt relax and chill. there was a rule no ball games in the pool but this was tottaly ignored and nothing done to stop them so it was up to us to say something.

we cannot fault any of the staff as they were all really pleasent and friendly, especially george in the reasturant, lisa by the pool bar she was lovely and friendly and at times we felt sorry for her with the unruly groups,

i have to say we would not return to these apatements

Room Tip: block 3 stay away from block 1 this is filled with large groups of males and females
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Bishop Auckland, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Me and my Significant other went to Janelas for a cheap holiday this year in June.

Starting with the ride from Faro airport down to Janelas, the least to say to say it was long and tedious, it took us 2 hours plus to arrive although if you're okay with long journeys this wont be an issue.

Anyways, we arrived at the hotel about 1am. My honest first thoughts where that it looks a little like a large block of flats, so the first visual opinion was not the greatest. We walked into the reception area, and where greeted by a man at the desk. He spoke VERY little english and simply handed us out TV remote, pointed to the free WIFI name & password sign and give us our key to room. We had no idea where to go but with his language barrier up in place we couldn't really make any requests.

Anyways, We where in Block 3, i believe room 08. We took the elevator up to our room and it was PITCH black in the hallway! You have to fight to find the light switch. (We had this issue every time we left the room).

Anyways, we got into the room and it was beautiful! It was so clean, tidy, smelt lovely and was very large indeed. We had a studio, so we had the sofa's that you make into your own bed's, the double bed room was locked. You did have the option to pay 20% to unlock it during your stay, although we had no need for the service.

Anyways, the kitchen area was clean, all pots and pans nicely arranged, nice little table and lots of appliances. I found lots of the appliances where new, although the oven was shabby and had no indication on how to use it..
The bathroom was lovely, water was clean and warm, toilets where sparkling & the shower worked brilliantly.
And our view was amazing. I mean, we didn't request any sea views or anything of the kind, but we got a view over the first pool, garden, tennis court and the sea in the distance.
Overall, the room was beautiful, we spend a lot of time in our hotel room and loved it.

So, the hotel itself had 3 pools (2 outdoor and 1 indoor), tennis, a garden, bar, Jacuzzi, gaming room, mini golf & so much more for entertainment.
Lot's for families entertainment wise.

We where told NO rubber rings, floats, toys etc. where allowed in the pool area. Pool one and the indoor pool where very strict on rubber floats etc. although pool two was a little more laid back. It still was not allowed, but as long as it was kept under control you could get away with it.

The supermarket and mini shop on the hotel premises where wonderful. The owner was friendly and so welcoming and the supermarket being just a 2 minute walk there and back from our hotel rooms was amazing. Beer was also cheaper to buy here than in the bar, at 90cent for small coke size can or 1.20c for a pint. And it's the same larger you get served at the bar if you like a beer. Imported alcohol was over priced, 5euro for a small Blue WKD or breezer.. You're best sticking to the local booze.

Food was average, nice full English breakfast's for 4 euro or included in B&B. Served toasties, wraps, salads and other snacks. Although, You'll find yourself eager to travel out the hotel for more interesting meals.

Another plus was the strip, the hotel was around 20 minutes from the strip and 30/40 minutes for the beach. Not sure about Old Town, we never visited. Taxi's where about 6 euro return if you'd rather grab a taxi, but they had a Noddy bus (tourist bus) and normal bus services running every 15/30 minutes.

If you'd want to take a walk, get a map from reception or ask for secure directions. We where given wrong directions twice.. It's about 20 minutes to the strip, walk right through a long tunnel, up a large hill, around the corner and you're in. The strip was amazing, lots of bars and shops, but prepare yourself, as you will get talked into walking into every bar/restaurant you pass. We where walking out with 30+ leaflets every trip out and after a while it gets really frustrating. It's also not a place for young children on a night. It's full off loud crowds etc, But on the day it's fantastic.

Other then that, no complaints.

The beach, walk all the way down the strip, and at the very bottom is Oura beach. Its a HUGE bank to walk down and its a killer to walk up in the heat. I personally couldn't make the trip daily to the beach. I also found the local beach small, but there's plenty of sea view bars and restaurants.
You can also walk up a little further, where you can sit on the cliff edge (allocated seating) and have a nice view of the sea.

It was overall friendly and welcoming. More aimed at Family's or Singles rather then Couples, but brilliant. I Paid no more than £450 altogether including spending money, flights, transport, the lot. And I went B&B. It's 100% value for money. I got more than i paid for and i will be returning!

Room Tip: Block 2 on higher floors in very quiet and has sea views. I was in 2, 308. (Block 2, 3rd floor, ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HaiiTisLizzy
Stockport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Where people are getting these good reviews from I don't know, they must be wrote by the hotel staff because this 'hotel' is absolutely appalling. Firstly upon arrival we were told that you cannot bring your own bottled or canned drinks to the pool area, you can only drink around the pool if they were bought from the bar; personally I think this is disgusting and put a lot of people off staying around the pool area from my party which was 5 girls. The supermarket and the bar charge extortionate prices, e.g. E2 for a CAN of coca cola.. We were also told that to have our bedsheets changed more than once in the week we stayed it would cost E4 each sheet, NONE of the facilities this hotel boasts are free, it may seem cheap at your travel agents but you have to pay for absolutely everything except the outdoor pool. The staff even charged 50C to phone a taxi for us, this is disgusting, one of the girls from my party even gave them a euro for this and received no change. Half of the staff were very rude, specifically the reception staff who were unhelpful, the cleaners and bar staff were very nice and pleasant.
The room was very basic, I have stayed in self-catering in most of my holidays and even they were nothing like this, the cooker which was electric had no markings so we couldn't see what heat even if we wanted to cook, the toilet in our room was cracked and we complained about this because it is highly unsanitary and just dangerous, we got no joy with the complaint.
As everyone else has said, it is half an hour walk from the local beach, taxis are reasonably priced but I do not want to spend my holiday cooped up in a car just to see the local attractions. There is nothing I can say about this hotel that is pleasant and I am sorry to leave a bad review which I have never done before, the highlight of my holiday was seeing the dolphin driven which I highly recommend it only costs E35 and is a 2 hour boat trip to see a little cove of dolphins in the sea, my second highlight was leaving these grotty apartments. I didn't feel that this was good value for money either as I would happily compromise if I hadn't paid much for the hotel and I was aware of the extra costs but none of this was forewarned and I know next time to check Trip Advisor like I usually do. I'm not hard to please but I really cannot recommend this hotel not even for a stag or hen do that are looking for a cheap hotel.

Room Tip: Don't visit this hotel at all!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends