“Clean, good location”

Cerro Malpique Aparthotel
Ranked #51 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
“Clean, good location”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed for a few days sept 12, found apartments lovely and clean with all home comforts. Large 1 bed apartment, good views over pool could see the sea in the distance. Balcony with table an chairs. 5 mins walk round corner to lidl. Downhill to old town which is full of restaurants

• Stayed September 2012
12 Thank Kapsoff

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Dublin
Reviewed October 26, 2012

What a lovely place. Myself and my boyfriend went here from Monday 15th October for a week with another couple. On arrival we were met by a rather unfriendly man at reception who didn't smile once, but as the holiday went on we realized that this is just his way and he was actually extremely helpful. We had originally asked for rooms on an upper floor and we were really disappointed when out rooms turned out to be on the ground floor. However, this soon ended up being a blessing in disguise. We were right beside Reception which was so handy for ordering taxis which arrived 2 minutes later, we were a 30 second walk to the pool, and our view was GORGEOUS! we all ended up being delighted with our location. we had two separate one bedroom apartments and both were lovely. the best part about the apartments was the kitchen. All of us like to cook and we were thrilled to find that we not only had a proper modern cooker with oven and grill, microwave, good utensils and chopping boards etc but we also had a DISHWASHER. Oh my lord this wade life so much easier. A packet of dishwasher tablets in Lidl cost about €1 and it was just so handy. Speaking of Lidl... it's literally a 7 minute walk from the apartments and it is perfect for your grocery shopping. It has a great variety of know-brand foods as well as local food and lots of great fruit, veg and meat. We went twice for two big shops and I got SO much food for €30. It was great!

Now, about going in October... this was the only time of the year we could go this year due to events like birthdays and weddings so naturally my choice would be to holiday in July/august. We had checked the forecast before we went and we knew it might rain a bit. The weather was as follows. Two days were sunny. about 19 degrees Celcius but not hot hot. Nice enough to lye on the beach though. the sea water is FREEZING but its just so refreshing and gorgeous so I loved it. Once your in it doesn't feel so cold anymore. 5 days were overcast so it was patchy moments of sun and then got quite cold. two of days were... torrential rain. We had to laugh. we went to a shopping centre about 10 minutes taxi away and the centre was obviously designed for the sunny weather because it had no roof! haha. We walked around being absolutely lashed on and it was a pain in the bum of course, but there was nothing we could do. On one of the rainy days we literally had nothing to do other than moap around the apartment so we got a taxi to a local shopping centre that had a cinema and it was the best decision we made. The cinema was So cheap €6.50 each and as standard in this cinema they have an interval half way through the film to give you time to use the toilet etc which I thought was a great idea. Some people won't agree but I loved it. the best part about this cinema? It was €8.50 for a large popcorn and drink which is cheaper than cinemas in ireland, AND at the interval you got a free refill on BOTH. A whole new tub of popcorn and a whole new drink. So handy when two people are sharing!

Albufeira is a great place. Yes it would have been a lot better if it was sunny everyday because I went there in 2010 in August and it was soooo hot every day and I loved it, but we made the most of each day. We ate and drank gorgeous food! restaurants I would recommend :

When walking towards the Old town from Cerro malpique you will pass a restaurant called Il Brigate. It is amazing and does unbelievable Veal steak and the best Bruchetta I have ever had. But even better, when your looking at Il Brigate straight on go right and you'll pass a little restaurant on the right called Bistro. Its an ansolutely incredible place. I had the same started both nights we went, warm oriental shrimp salad... insanely delicious. For mains I had pork with a mustard sauce and their cool flat sliced chips, and the next night I had Cod in an amazing tomato sauce. I cannot recommend this place highly enough and the chef was so lovely and posed with us for photos.

All in all a great holiday. I lived on about €75 a day which can be roughly broken down in to €10 breakfast including a drink and tip, €10 lunch (usually made with ingredients at home or else eaten out as lots of cheap deals) and then about €50 to bring out in the evenings, dinner would usually be about €25 including three courses, wine and a nice tip. We paid €30 for expensive places and €20 in cheaper ones. Then about €25 for a few cocktails in the evenings.

Some other tips : there is a great diner in the old town, and american style one. it is fab for brunch, had phily cheese steak baguette one day and then an American breakfast the next with pancakes and maple syrup, all so good and we couldn't believe how cheap it was. Usually €10 each for a massive filling plate of food! Also if you get a taxi to the new town or the "strip" as its known it will cost €5. its good but I preferred the old town (5 minute walk from cerro malpique). There are more bars etc but I found it a bit more seedy or something. i preferred the vibe of the old town, better for couples and families I think. In the new town or strip there is a cross roads which has a hotdog guy on the corner. I guarantee you this will be the best hotdog you ever have. sounds weird but it contains crisps, sweetcorn and mayo. They are out of this world. We got a taxi there on the last night just to get one! lol

I could write all day about Alfufeira because there is so much to say, all good. If staying in cerro malpique there are 95 steps you must walk down and up to travel between the old town and the apartments. These are no big deal. A bit tiring when walking home at night but honestly this will be no big deal unless you are elderly, have children with buggies (although we saw some people carrying these) or are not great with steps in general. It helps burn off some calories from all the food too ;) Speaking of which, after dinner pop in to Vegas bar for the best Passionfruit frozen Daquiri cocktails! mmm

Oh and before I forget, the water park is great. It's called Slide and Splash. You can book at the reception of the apartments and it is €32 for an Adult which includes bus to and from (its an hour away, lovely bus ride though) and about 5 hours at the waterpark. Well worth it!

Sorry if this review is too long, I genuinely have a lot more to say but better stop it there.

Room Tip: our room was 403 on ground floor and had great pool view and also nice sea views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
25 Thank traceylovestravel
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hi, I stayed in room 104, really nice room size. It was a 1 bed apartment and had two balconies. I paid 159 euro for two people for one week. For this price, I got what I paid for. Nice staff, relaxed small pool area, no bar, no restaurant and loads of steps to keep fit. I liked albufeira in general but there is nothing to do here. You need to go as a group of four, minimum. Good food but drink is not cheap in bars. internet in albufeira is like gold, hard to find. and its very expensiveWould I go again? Yes, would I stay here again? No. I got what i paid for. Had a good time overall though

• Stayed October 2012
cumbria
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Apartment room 104, wasn't too pleased at first as I requested a pool view, arrived in the dark so by morning was more than happy, as I soon realised we were still in good view of a bit of sea and perfect for watching people collapsing up the hill back to rooms from back gate, we also had 2 balconys one from the bedroom and one from living area (noticed not all rooms have this), both good size, only downside, they only had the sun in the morning, i dont hang around so wasn't bothered by this, the kitchen was the best eqipped kitchen ive been in, so clean and new looking, overall space wise was excellent, noticed the very odd crack in a bathroom tile, and the sliding balcony door from bedroom had a crack in the glass near the handle, wasn't sharp to touch but made sure i took a pic on arrival so they didnt blame us, you never know!! cleaners came every other day, made beds, swept, mopped and gave us fresh towels, the beds are quite low to the floor, very creaky when u move and very hard!! got used to it after 2 nights. Tv had bbc3 and itv2 which wasnt too bad. people have mentioned theres no shop nearby which isnt totally true, fair enough you have to go down the 90 odd steps but theres a great little shop immediate right at the bottom of steps, takes like 3 mins, theres also a lidl not far away. old town was 5 min walk down steps and a slow downwards hill really wasnt far at all, going back up did take longer just because u do get a bit knackered, lovely bars and places to eat really nice down the beach front, theres one very noisy street and im relatively young (29) but even once was bad enough for me, you could not move, did look at the strip through the day and there was hardly anyone there, was not nice really so glad i chose the old town, beach was lovely, only bad bit was theres a band of shells that really hurt your feet but once u get past it its nice, sea is freezing but nice, would reccommend going parasailing, i swore i wasnt going to but it was really good you get such a good view of the whole coastline, we found the marina from this and decided to walk down took around 20 mins, was nice. went to the zoomarine for the day and the dolphin show was great, sealions and birds etc too, overall great holiday and would highly reccommend. (oh and if you fancy a curry while your there and stay at these apartments as you first get to see the bars on your walk down theres an indian "indian taj" u will see it straight away, its very nice!) x

1 Thank blondambition13
Walsall
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We booked this apartment via Olympic Holidays who were excellent.
On arrival we were given room 309, 1 bedroom, bathroom and open plan kitchen and lounge, with a balcony.
My wife and I were both very tired after the long journey and hit the sack as soon as possible, it was then we started to notice things, firstly the beds squeeked every time you moved or turned over, neither of us got a full nights kip.
During the night the power in the apartment went off,solved by flicking the breakers on and off.
Our apartment, we found at daylight, was on the level with the path that ran around the block, subsequently we were unable to leave the windows open (unless we were in the room) for worring about being burgled.
Having a shave in the morning meant having to boil water as there was none on tap, here again there was no kettle, so had to boil in in a saucepan and then transfer it to a cup. My wife found out later that if I needed hot water straight away I should have used the be-day (spelt wrong).
The rest of the apartment was o.k., just a few pictures on the walls, no ornamnets , there was a dish washer, but a washing machine would have been of greater use.
The view from the "balcony" was spoilt by a very high Macdonalds sign in the distance, how they got permission for it ifs beyond me (back handers?).
Would I go there again, maybe , but the walk down to the town was 99 steps the quickest way, taxi back always.

Room Tip: Avoid room 309 !!
4 Thank Gunmaker
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Apartment was very large and spacious, full sized kitchen with all you need in it, lounge big with comfy furniture incl TV and phone, bathroom had bath and shower, bidet and w.c, hallway had a shoe rack and coat hooks also a coat stand, three door wardrobe with plenty of drawer space. Sun beds are plentiful, pool is not to big but very nice, no children there so you could really relax, no shops near by but you can get drinks, milk and snacks from reception. The only downside is that you on top of a very steep hill and down 100 steps to the old town, great going down but not so good coming back up, not good for the infirm or elderly, all in all really enjoyed our stay.

1 Thank elainewatt4
barnsley
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is our 2nd time to albuferia and usually stay at the hotel opposite and maybe my opinion is sliighty based on the comparrison between this hotel and cerro marr on arrival we was met with a friendly greeting by a gentleman who was really friendly,polite and helpfull, after a quick checkin we was on are way to our room with the most amazing sea view (room 607) the balcony with its 3 sides was massive and the view was unbelievable, along with table and chairs we even had our own sunbeds and unberella, The rooms and decor was slightly dated and tired,The beds are not the best and i must say are the worse ive slept in,after a couple of days we realised their was 2 parts to the hotel cerro malpique 1 and 2, we was in part one and once having looked at part 2 the difference is highly noticable, part 2 in in top condition and clearly maintained and looked after unlike part 1, on arrival we reported our blind in the kitchen didnt work correctly and was ensure someone would look into in after 2 more days the blindly finally gave in and fell down it took several more days of reportng the matter and 1 week later for it to be finally fixed, several of the bulbs didnt work and we gave up on the shower head, as we felt reporting things was not worth it, on a plus side the space and facilites are fantastic the kitchen has a cooker, microwave,dish washer and totaster everything you needed was at hand, another negative is security again in comparrison to the cerro marr this was non existent and unfortunately wasnt able to sleep with any windows or patio doors open which results in very hot rooms,
With regards to cleanliness i feel this was hit and miss the first week we had maid service every other day and every 3 days for clean towels, for the 1st week i think the room was just given a quick wipe and the balcony wasnt even touched as the previous guest had nicely left a plaster attached to the balcony which stayed their right up until the 2nd week, how ever the 2nd week we had fresh towels every day and the standards of cleaning was spot on,
Please dont think everything was bad as i feel if we hadnt stayed and the cerro marr previously and exerienced those facilities my comments would have been different, the hotel is ideal for everyone and and the pool is great, if your looking for a sea veiw then 607 is the room for you,

Room Tip: Sea View room 607
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family