“Obrigado vila bela”

Ranked #109 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
“Obrigado vila bela”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

in july 2006 we booked a b&b in albufeira in the hope of a relaxing cosy stay for our first stay in Portugal. back then it had been owned by carlos and his wife for 25 years who it turned out ploughed all their monies into building a comfortable portugese villa to accommodate as many people as they could without going bust! a typical steep sided very large corner villa with graduated balcony rooms swimming pool and perfectly placed bar at the bottom of the steps before you go for a siesta is how I would describe it. in sept 2013 we went back for another stay and the charm was still flowering over the entrance steps like before.the corner bar is great to cool down in relax or drink the evening away. the villa is a pleasant 5 minute walk down into the town, the b&b is kept clean and after a week here it feels like a sunny second home. thankfully carlos and wife have kept its character for more than 30 years now! so good on them for the future and thanks for a lot of true portugese happy relaxing memories!

Room Tip: book with Thomson for balconies with a big view and don't forget albufeira is built on to the co...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Geoff462

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We just got back from a stay at the Vila Bela and really enjoyed it. Clean and well kept, staff so friendly and helpful especially the man who did breakfast and always had a smile on his face. He was even night porter and let us in on several occasions when the gate had been locked after 2 o clock. We experienced a really calm and restful stay in the Algarve absolutely loved Portugal and the people. The pool area on the roof was also a pleasant area to spend in the sun. I have only two concerns, one was the fact there was no air conditioning but this did not ruin our stay, the other was the bathroom which did not have a window and no extractor fan and got rather smelly. This needs to be dealt with. Despite my concerns I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura W
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks from Aug 15 to Aug 29th. I had requested a quiet room right from the start. I was given the single room 106 as I was a single guest travelling alone. I knew it would be basic so I brought my own kettle and iron. I was very surprised how small it was and I didn't have a balcony or terrace. If I wanted to open the window I had to climb on the bed and I couldn't even look out the window as it was too high up. The bathroom window was too high and if you wanted to open it you had to climb on top of the bidet. These issues I took on board as the hotel was close to the beach and shops.

The biggest problem I experienced was at night. First of all the hotel next door that was very close to my room had loud music/entertainment from 9:30 to 11:00 with out of tune singing and an off key piano player. I also had noisy young people talking loud on their balconies from the adjoining hotel.I was woken up sometimes 3 times a night with people stamping up the stairs and slamming doors in the early hours of the morning. Also having loud conversations in the hallway and stairs. This room is right on the main stairway so is a very noisy room, the loud voices were amplified even more by the ceramic type tiles that were on the walls. I asked to be moved and was told by the lady Manager Susan that it was peak season and they were fully booked and the only other single room was opposite which was 106a and that would be the same. I asked if she could remind the guests to be quiet when returning to their rooms and she just replied that she shouldn't have to. I said there should be a sign on the wall just reminding people. The other manager who was there said that when people have had a bit too much wine they forget. The Javali bar is right underneath so if you are in this room you will not get any sleep at all.

Moving onto the bathroom the bathroom rubber mat was so old it was stained and it always looked dirty there were also quite a few black marks in between the tiles that the grout had become mouldy. One of the tiles was cracked in the bathroom as well. Even when the cleaner had been in there were some black splashes on the bathroom tiles which had not been cleaned.

The room was very old and tired with a big chip in the inside of the bedroom door and the paint was chipped off near the handle on the bathroom door. I stayed out the room as much as possible as it was too depressing. On the morning of my departure I looked underneath the mattress protector and discovered it was marbled with large urine and other stains. I was disgusted and left my room at 7:00am and my transfer bus wasn't picking me up until 7:40.

I would never recommend this hotel. I do not know what the double rooms are like but mine was wasn't very comfortable. Also the bed and pillow were rock hard. I paid too much for this holiday as it wasn't a last minute deal and was tired the whole time. I even slept through my alarm on my phone and missed my all important trip to Lisbon through tiredness. I was very upset and thanks to Debbie my rep she reimbursed me my money so that helped.

The best part of the holiday was the lovely weather and the beach. This hotel did not meet my basic requirements i.e. getting sleep at night. Also I only had breakfast a few times but the man that served it was always very pleasant to me.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 106 if you want peace at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank 106Marie

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We needed accommodation for 1 week and literally fell upon this place It s gorgeous and I would definately reccommend and return there... It has a very small pool but who needs it when you have the sea a stone s throw away. It is a 5 minute walk from the beach and a 10 minute walk from bars restaurants etc Ideal for us Yes it has lots of steps but its a beautiful Portuguese hotel not a modern block of concrete. Staff are wonderful esp the super breakfast waiter/ gardener/bell boy/night manager. He s all the same person and never stops smiling Nothing is too much trouble a real star x

Room Tip: The higher the beeter but further to carry your case!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We booked 10 days at the Vila Bela in Albuferia in August, the holiday was simply amazing, ive never been to Portugal but I would definatly recommend it!
The Vila Bela is such a nice place to stay, the staff and reception team are so helpful and will go the extra mile for any guest. There are alot of steps in the hotel and in the entrance , which helped after eating all the lovely food but I would not recommend it for people who are not keen on walking/exploring. Loads to do in the area and such a great location, its a 5 minute walk to the beach and into old town and a 15 minute bus ride to new town.
We did two day trips through Thompson which i would highly recommend!

Definalty will be returning. Only downside is no air conditioning in the rooms, but with the nice coastal breeze it didnt bother us at all. Rooms are clean and well looked after and the maids are really nice.
9/10!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren S
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Having read many of the reviews I was a bit nervous about my choice. There were so many people highlighting little grievances and, to top it all, I use a cane and walk with some difficulty. The town, beach, bars and restaurants are mostly downhill with the journey back necessitating a taxi in my case (6 euros). The climbing isn't restricted to the great outdoors: there are several flights of stairs within the apartments.
The breakfast is basic as others have commented but enough to set you up for the day. (If you insist on the Great British Breakfast it's only 10/15 minutes walk away. The only other negative I'd agree with is the lack of a kettle in my room to make a morning cup of coffee to accompany my obligatory cigarette on the balcony. Take a travel kettle.
All that said, after seriously considering two weeks in Bela Vila a bit of a risk before I booked, I stayed there for a very happy four weeks!
The staff? Probably the best group of people you could wish for in a tourist venue. Welcomed by Ray the barman from south London and a memorable character who was helpful throughout my stay with tips on local restaurants beaches etc, I was passed on to Susan who runs Vila Bela with Carlos. She thoughtfully placed me in the ideal room (at the front and with a balcony and only a short flight of steps below the wonderful rooftop pool). The twin-bedded room was freshly decorated, sparely furnished but very comfortable. The shower/bath and toilet was clean and there was no shortage of hot water at any time of the day. Rooms and bathroom were cleaned daily by the wonderful Manuela. She had no English and I don't speak any Portuguese but her good nature was infectious.
Dimas, a Ukranian who had lived in Portugal for 13 years, then took me through the operation of the blinds etc He, like Ray, was a laugh a minute and seemed to be the jack of all trades even spelling Ray and George in the bar below the apartments.
The other guests were mostly from the UK and were a good mix: Scousers, Geordies, Brummies, a few Jocks like myself and a wonderful Welsh couple who were on their ninth stay at Vila Bela. The majority were in their 40s, 50s and 60s though there were some young people too.
There were too many highlights to mention. The traditional Portuguese restaurant (left and up the hill at the roundabout) and the Sunday BBQ at Bar L'Arte (400m to the right past the large supermarket) stand out nearby. The three restaurants on the cliff near the elevator to the beach are all good value.
Despite my disability I had a great time at Bela Vila. The people both staff and guests were the stars. I booked another two weeks. And I'll be back.

Room Tip: My room at the front was perfect for me. The balcony was sunny till mid-afternoon. traffic noise was...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Al B
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Just come back from 10 nights at this hotel.

Was a lovely place but the only downside was all the steps you had to walk up.
The pool area was lovely and the staff couldnt do enough for you. They look after your passports for you in their safe, but you can ask for them back whenever you like.

I went with just one of my mates for my 21st. We went into the new town every night which is only about 10 mins away but you need to get a taxi there which costs 6 euro each way.
The only thing is, if you come back at a silly time in the morning like we did, the gate will be locked, but there is a bell which you can press and someone will come and let you in.

The old town is lovely in the day and there is some really nice places to go and eat. We only walked through there at night to go and get our taxi to the new town.

The new town is where everything happens. All the night clubs are there and all the busy bars are there too.

The only downside to this hotel is the breakfast is shocking - They only give you a breadd roll, a slice of ham and a slice of cheese. For a drink you can have a cuppa or some very weak orange juice.

Overall though i will go back to this hotel as it was good for the money. And Portugal its self was amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the high floor over looking the sea. They have the best views and there is sun on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends