“Very relaxing”

Ranked #61 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very relaxing”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've just got back from a lovely week staying in Balaia Sol with my boyfriend. Our room was excellent, nice and big with a great balcony overlooking the gardens. We didn't cook much in the room but there was a microwave, hobs and a toaster which is enough to make some basic meals. The cleaner came every other day so clean too.

As for the rest of the hotel, there was a great reception which seemed to be open 24/7 so you could contact the staff if you needed any help. One slight problem was that the staff didn't seem to speak brilliant English; we managed to communicate everything we needed to but could be frustrating if you needed to let them know anything important. The pool area was lovely, more than enough sunbeds, we never had any problems getting one or an umbrella. The bar sold a good variety of snacks and drinks for breakfast and lunch.

The location was okish. It was only about a 15 minute walk to the new town which is obviously great, but to the old town it was quite a bit longer (around 45 minutes). Taxis to the old town were only 7 euros so that wouldn't really be a problem but because it was so busy we really had a lot of difficulty actually getting one! The reception rang for us (for 2 euros) but the woman told us that she had rang 70 times and couldn't get through to anyone because it was so busy. We waited between 5 and 45 minutes for a taxi to come and that was a little bit frustrating. Having said that the location was good in the sense that it was in a nice, peaceful area, a little bit away from the hustle of the main locations and definitely wouldn't dissuade me from staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Polly M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We also booked last minute based on reviews on here and were not disappointed. We had a 10 night stay June/July 2013 and it was a bargain holiday. The family of 8 that have reviewed here were the only ones that spoilt the lovely peace and quiet. Yes you do expect children to enjoy themselves but other children here were much better behaved. They did not constantly scream and they actually took notice of their parents (no control whatsoever). We didn’t complain as we were amused by everyone else doing so.
It is a 15 minute walk (maximum) from the strip (uphill? it is an easy, gentle, sloping walk) and a little bit further to the closest beach. There are several beaches and we visited 3 of them. The Balaia Sol has its own minibus which will drop you at the Strip or the Old Town at 11.30, 2.30 or 5.00 for 2 euro each. I think they should have a drop off at about 7pm too so that you can enjoy a meal and evening in the old town. Lots of places to eat and drink here and the restaurants on Fisherman’s beach are very reasonable and the food is delicious. A large beer here was 1.75 euro but cost more away from the beach(?)
If you go to the strip and turn right you will find Bananas Bar on the right and they were selling large beers (Sagres) for 1.80 euros and your 3rd one was free. They do a scrummy mojito too. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the steak he had at El Ranchero on the strip, he only wished there was more!

We also enjoyed a visit to Bar La Bodeguita which is situated at the bull fighting ring which you pass on your walk to the Strip. Carlos served up a lovely Ploughman’s Lunch for 4.50 euro and is very happy to chat.
The accommodation was more than adequate and the staff were very helpful and friendly, especially Adelaide who seemed to be there from early morning until after midnight. If we visit again the only thing we would do differently is to hire a car and see some more of this beautiful area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SWheels66
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed at Balia Sol 9th July for 9 nights couple 2 kids 14 and 11. Booked quite late so expectations were not high but pleasantly surprised. Well maintained clean and good maid service. Apartments basic and cooking facilities were very limited, external 2 ring induction hob and microwave. Saw previous reviews re shower being poor but found shower to be excellent. Had room 19 right beside pool and kids found this ideal. They got 8 new sun beds during the week we were there which actually reclined and made reading easier. No shop but mini market next complex was adequate. Location pretty good and peaceful apart from the rooster somewhere nearby who starts crowing at 5 am !.Beds arent brilliant and late night arrivals and departures were a nuisance at times but the same is true anywhere. The place is very Portugese in style and very picturesque. As previous reviews said, if you are looking for 5 star dont come here, but if you are looking for value clean accommodation, and a nice small friendly atmosphere you should definitely consider Balia Sol.

Room Tip: rooms 19, 20 1nd 21 have terraces onto pool. Morning sun on these terraces only
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Havant, England,
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We traveled as a group of 4 Adults and 4 Children age 11,7,5 and 4. First impressions of hotel were good we arrived late and were greeted by a friendly man who helped us to our rooms I noticed cctv everywhere which you can't help ask yourself why? All staff are friendly and helpful. Our room was basic but clean we were in room 5 which is set over 3 floors with a balcony that looks out over pool. First night Monday got no sleep having our bedroom road side meant we heard the dust carts and transfer coaches pulling up at various hours in the night. This also happened on the Friday night of our stay so expect broken sleep if you in that block unless you a very heavy sleeper. Second day in the pool which is cold water we were asked to keep our children quiet playing in the pool most guests were shocked by this. NOT WHAT I EXPECT from a hotel that advertises as family friendly. But I guess some guests didn't like hearing children enjoying them selves and splashing. Loungers are laid out around pools so its almost impossible not too get wet when people dive in. The pool is the only thing on site for kids to do. For that reason I would only return without children and also ask not to be road side. Hotel is in very remote place around 20 - 30 minute walk up hill to the main strip ( we did it every night). I wouldn't walk it alone though! Drinks and snacks are expensive 2 Euro for can of coke or small beer, 2.50 ice cream 6.50 for Breakfast which is basic with (lettuce?) sausage is extra! food is little over cooked for my liking too but that's what you expect for convience stock up at local supermarkets. I can recommend the cocktails 4 euros which is resonable. You can get a breakfast on the strip for around 3-4 Euros with a sausage no lettuce!! and a drink.Highly recommend Doris on the strip for that. Overall happy with the holiday perfect for quiet couples looking for relaxing location away from main town

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mel T
Havant, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here in June 2013 in room 18, as a family of 8 with children. The apartment is dated but in good decor and clean as are the grounds, pool etc. The staff are very friendly. I don't think this place is good for families though as we were asked to keep the children quiet by the pool which is ridiculous so it should not be classed as good for families and the pool is the only thing they have to do as there is nothing else for them there. One of the children had a bug while we were there and we needed fresh bedding at 4am which the guy on reception got for us which I was impressed with. The walk into town is about 30 mins I would say and that's at a steady pace which was further than we were expecting, it's also uphill. The pool bar is very expensive in my opinion and the food quality is not great, I paid 3.50 euros for 2 slices of toast! Needless to say I didn't buy any more toast from the bar. A burger, chips & soft drink is 7.50 euros and I had a simple and overcooked english breakfast with a cuppa which cost me 6.50 euros, in town you can get a big breakfast with drink for between 3.50-4 euros and drinks are also expensive except cocktails which are only 4 euros. The location of the apartments is secluded and quiet and there is CCTV throughout the complex, I don't know why but was a bit worried about that. Sleep quality was fairly good although there was a cockerel in a neighbouring field which starts making it's noise at the crack of dawn and there are some villas close by, one of which was occupied by young clubbers who come back at 4 in the morning making loads of noise, although these would only affect the apartments on one side.
In a nutshell this place is good for couples or anyone looking for a quiet relaxing time away from the busy town but it is not good for families with children.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonny B
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We booked based on reviews on here and were not at all disappointed. We have just returned from 6 nights at Balaia Sol and it was an absolute bargain- a 10 minute walk from the strip (turn left for nightlife and right if you want a nicer restaurant and more peaceful atmosphere!) and a similar distance from the closest beach- Santa Eulalia (although there are plenty of lovely beaches close by). If you can bear the tourist cliches, the red open top tourist bus is a good option for getting your bearings- 13euros and you can hop on and off as often as you like within 24 hours- Salgados is beautiful and, even if you don't wish to take a boat trip (which is well worthwhile!), the Marina has a nice atmosphere and plenty of cafes and boutique shops to while away a few hours.

You get what you pay for accomodation-wise- clean and basic but with everything you need. Noise of the other guests can be disruptive so our only real critique would be that the staff could make more of an effort to enforce the 'quiet after 10pm rule'. Good on-site facilities for a small resort- little shop, bar and pool room. Overall we were pleased we booked and would definitely consider coming again if we were to return to the Algarve.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elisespike
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel a few weeks before travelling and selected it based on price and reviews. I was a little sceptical as the hotel was very reasonable so was not expecting too much.
I arrived very late at night, around 11.00pm and was greeted by reception very warmly. Paperwork sorted out I was shown to my room. I had no water or milk to make a drink but low and behold they have it in there little shop which is still open till the bar closes. I was also hungry and she made me a cheese burger and chips. I did not have any euros as I did not change money before hand and I was told to settle up the next day when I changed my money.
After a few days although the apartment was fine, I found the balcony was small and I asked about an alternative room. They looked on the computer and hey presto they showed me an alternative alongside the pool area. I moved rooms and stayed there for the rest of my 2 weeks.
The complex is very rustic and traditional in Portuguese style, very clean with excellent staff who could not be more helpful.
It is not a large complex so is limited on what it offers but they still have everything you need for a wonderful stay.
The food is fresh and well cooked with a good variety at reasonable prices. You can get any type of drink, small stocked shop, games area, Internet facilities and €5 for use of wifi for your whole stay on your own laptop, tablet or phone.
The pool is a good size and is cleaned every day but it is not heated so can be quite cool as is the child's pool. There are plenty of beds, umbrellas and lounger cushions and is sunny all day till late evening.
The shop, bar and snack area is open from 10am till midnight every day. There is a larger shop over the road on the next complex or the main supermarkets between the strip and the old town. We used Aldi supermarket by the. Old town on the main road as the prices were much cheaper. A 6ltr bottle of water in Aldi was 42 cents and around €1.60 elsewhere. Having a car made life easier but there is a wide range of transport close by including the hotels own bus service to town and back.
People have complained about paying for the safe and tv but this is normal in hotels and at the price you pay for this hotel it is not much to pay for additional services if you want them.
Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending this complex and I am looking forward to going back in the future.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends