“Quiet Oasis in the Sun”

Ranked #67 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Quiet Oasis in the Sun”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel a few weeks before travelling and selected it based on price and reviews. I was a little sceptical as the hotel was very reasonable so was not expecting too much.
I arrived very late at night, around 11.00pm and was greeted by reception very warmly. Paperwork sorted out I was shown to my room. I had no water or milk to make a drink but low and behold they have it in there little shop which is still open till the bar closes. I was also hungry and she made me a cheese burger and chips. I did not have any euros as I did not change money before hand and I was told to settle up the next day when I changed my money.
After a few days although the apartment was fine, I found the balcony was small and I asked about an alternative room. They looked on the computer and hey presto they showed me an alternative alongside the pool area. I moved rooms and stayed there for the rest of my 2 weeks.
The complex is very rustic and traditional in Portuguese style, very clean with excellent staff who could not be more helpful.
It is not a large complex so is limited on what it offers but they still have everything you need for a wonderful stay.
The food is fresh and well cooked with a good variety at reasonable prices. You can get any type of drink, small stocked shop, games area, Internet facilities and €5 for use of wifi for your whole stay on your own laptop, tablet or phone.
The pool is a good size and is cleaned every day but it is not heated so can be quite cool as is the child's pool. There are plenty of beds, umbrellas and lounger cushions and is sunny all day till late evening.
The shop, bar and snack area is open from 10am till midnight every day. There is a larger shop over the road on the next complex or the main supermarkets between the strip and the old town. We used Aldi supermarket by the. Old town on the main road as the prices were much cheaper. A 6ltr bottle of water in Aldi was 42 cents and around €1.60 elsewhere. Having a car made life easier but there is a wide range of transport close by including the hotels own bus service to town and back.
People have complained about paying for the safe and tv but this is normal in hotels and at the price you pay for this hotel it is not much to pay for additional services if you want them.
Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending this complex and I am looking forward to going back in the future.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank yinsue

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Glasgow
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This was exactly what we wanted. A quiet and not too large complex, nice pool and a bit further from the busy Albufeira/strip though still walkable. We hired a car so were able to get to the beach easily. Our apartment (11) was large and had all we needed. Very clean and cool with no need for air conditioning. Overall a great relaxing break.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank JoTGlasgow
Glasgow
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband, 2 year daughter and I stayed here mid may. We were greeted at reception and shown straight to our very spacious one bedroom apartment. It was ground floor as I had notified them in advance that we would have the little one and her buggy. The only thing that bothered us was the fact that our two sets of doors opened out onto a public walkway, so we had no privacy at all when sitting outside. This did annoy me a little as I had emailed in advance to ask for a nice private balcony or terrace and we were given the exact opposite. The apartment itself is a little dated but thats not a problem. The cooking facilites were fine. There were plenty of pots and pans, crockery etc. It's not a problem at all to cook meals. We ate in the apartment alot as there are plenty of big supermarkets near the strip. There is a small mini-market in the complex next door (Quinta da Balaia). We used this for essentials like big bottles of water, bread and butter etc. The complex is very quiet, never having to queue for a drink or a snack. The food is really nice at the bar as are the cocktails..........! The whole complex was spotlessly clean and well maintained. The staff are so friendly and willing to help with anything. I had also told them in advance that it was my husbands birthday whilst we were there. They came to our door that day with a complimentary bottle of bubbly, ice bucket and two glasses. A lovely gesture!
The location is also fine. Not sure why people moan about the walk to the strip. It's not far at all. Ten minutes at the most. The strip was not our cup of tea. Maybe when we were 18 perhaps! The old town is a little further and although you can walk it, we decided to take the apartment's mini bus. It runs 3 times a day and is only 2 euro's each. We would get the bus in at 5, have dinner in the old town and walk back. The walk is around 30-40 minutes. The old town is just lovely! Fabulous places to eat, lovely beach and winding cobbled streets. Some great seafood to be had.
All in all, I loved the complex but probably wouldn't go back as there aren't any facilites for children. Apart from the baby pool which was so cold our little one didn't want to go in. I did make a suggestion for them to maybe get a little play park for kids and try heating the baby pool. Maybe they will look into this for future guests......who knows. Definately a great place for couples wanting a quiet and peaceful retreat away from the town.

Room Tip: We apartment no.19, although very large and spacious it had a very public terrace.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ange1975
Swansea
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the apartments for 10 nights. We arrived at lunch time; check in was quick although we were charged €25 for use of the safe and €35 to use the tv so felt a bit out of pocket on day 1. We were in apartment 04 to the rear of the complex very quiet with a terrace opening onto the courtyard, the room was very basic with a small kitchen and shower room. The beds were very uncomfortable camping beds on casters! Kitchen equipment is basic with a 2 ring camping hob. We had clean towels twice but the bed was only changed once, the maids do not come everyday and when they do they only do the bare minimum. The complex is set off the main road down a lane. The gardens and pool area are immaculate. The sun loungers are not adjustable and very uncomfortable, take a travel pillow! The location is very peaceful, there is no entertainment on site but this suited us, I imagine children would get very bored! The staff are pleasant and helpful. There is a bar on site and the prices are reasonable they serve basic food and snacks however there is no supermarket, there is a little shop on the neighboring complex but the main supermarkets are on Santa Eulalia, turn left before the bull ring. The strip is a 10-15 min walk away, the pavements are lethal so ladies leave the high heels at home. The bus stop at the roundabout takes you directly to the old town and costs €1.40 each, a taxi was €6. Oura beach is closest at the top end of if the strip about 20-25min walk. Over all a relaxing holiday, the location is more suitable to people who have hired cars or don't mind a walk. We would defiantly return to Albufeira and to Balaia Sol if the price was right but would prefer to stay in the old town to be close to the beach.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Rhiannoff
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed at the balai-sol apartments for our 1st every trip to portugal on 20th to 30th april for 10 days and cannot faulty the complex very clean and very friendly helpful staff. there is a small bar and games room with internet access 1 euro for 7mins. we had three room as there was ten of us with all the basic amenities you need for a self catering holiday all large with loads of space. pool a little cold. garden ground's very well kept. 15/20 mins walk to the strip and shops not for the less able to walk but a good bus service near by or a taxi if needed. very peaceful location down a dead end track. there is a little shop in the complex next to balaia-sol but a bit expensive cheaper to go to the local supermarket and stock up. all in all a great little complex. would recommend if you would like a peaceful quiet holiday but if you are looking for a more active complex not for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank smurfroscoe
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Apartment complex is small and the grounds are lovely, its about a 20 min walk from the main strip, which contains bars however we found this not to our taste and very tacky.There are much nicer areas to visit for meals we went to the Old Town which is £7 euro taxi ride and they are easy to flag down. There is another area on the way to the strip (left at the first round about with a water feature on) which is nearer and we prefared here there are nice bars and restuarants some provide take away options which we used and there is a local piri chicken take away where we had a nice meal (there a bid red sign advertising this att he water roundabout) , there are also two supermarkets down this part which we used, these were reasonably priced with good selection of produce. The nearest minimarket is in the next complex, and has the basic essentials but its expensive and we only went there once for bread and water.

The appartments are basic with small beds but they have the minimum essentials and we cooked/prepared several meals, we didnt like the lists of items telling us what we would pay if items were damaged and some of the prices were over priced for the products provided, it is very clean and the grounds are kept in excellent condition, there is bar/resturant we never ate here but did play several games of pool,

The beach is nice and clean, its a 20 minuite walk and we didnt spend the day here, we did book a boat trip BBQ and a trip to the market through the reception both were not value for money and we could have got a taxi to the market for cheaper, we spent 1 hour 30 mins on the bus and only 2 hours at the market whcih didnt sell much it also stated we get to see a fruit and veg market the only one we got to see was through the bus window whcih was dispaointing, Villa mora was lovely but we only had 20mins here and would have liked longer. we woundnt recommend either of these trips

Over all we enjoyed our stay it was peacful and relaxing the complex is quiet and the staff were friendly and we would stay here again as we were a nice walk to all local resturants and shops.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucy h
manchester
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband, son and myself have just returned from Albufeira, Portugal(we usually go to Turkey)The apartment we stayed in was clean and well maintained. Plenty of sockets in every room and I was pleased to see a socket by the mirror in the bedroom but when I came to use it the chair was too low and the mirror too high! There was plenty of wardrobe and drawer space in the bedroom and the sheets were clean and in good condition. The bathroom was small but clean with plenty of light and a nice big mirror. The kitchen had everything we needed as we only prepare light snacks. It was nice to have a microwave and toaster but if you like a mug instead of a cup I would bring some with you. The furniture was of good quality and there were vases and pictures on the wall. It was quiet and we had no problems sleeping because the curtains were thick enough to keep out the sun.
My only moan was the lack of umbrellas by the pool. 35 sunbeds and 5 umbrellas! Not good if you are not a sun worshipper!
The 15 minute walk was not a problem for us but you had to take a taxi/bus to the beach. If you are self catering the nearest decent supermarket is 15/20mins away so make sure you stock up! We found Portugal to be expensive compared to Turkey and we did not think the prices we paid for food in the restaurants was justified although the drinks were reasonable. All in all the apartments were good value for money but the Portuguese cuisine is not for us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family