Hotel Sol e Mar
Ondamar Aparthotel(Albufeira)(Great Value!)
$110
$63
1,392 results
All reviewssea viewcircular barrooms face the searound barold townbeach levelsound of the wavesfantastic locationhalf boardindoor pooltravel kettlebit datedbed and breakfastgala dinnerfifth floorthe cliffyour doorstep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a brilliant holiday at this hotel. It's very good value for money. A bit old fashioned but it was built the same year as I was born, so it's not surprising!!

Stayed here for 5 nights in October. It has a perfect location right on the beach. This is really handy if you're sunbathing on the beach in the day to pop back for things from the room.

Our room had a large balcony, it was lovely to watch the sun setting at night before we went out and on waking in the morning. The room was large but generally quite dated. Clean and functional though.

The beds were HARD and I mean ROCK HARD!! The first night i thought I'm not going to be able to sleep here, but i got used to it.

There was NO kettle! I couldn't believe it. Next time I stay here I will be taking a kettle.

We tried breakfast but I'm not really into chips for breakfast. It all looked pretty rubbery to me. But then plenty seemed to enjoy it.There are plenty of bars selling coffee, pastries,and breakfasts close by.

I note some negative comments about reception. We met several receptionists who were always very pleasant and helpful to us.

I'm staying here again in May ( with travel kettle) and I can't wait!

1  Thank MissMental
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have just returned from a week at the Sol E Mar.
I was a little concerned when I read some of the reviews, but I am so pleased to say that we had no need to worry. Yes the hotel is a little dated, and the biggest moan I would have is the bathroom was in need of replacing, it was tired and a bit worn, but spotless, as was our room. It was thoughly cleaned eveyday, lovely large, soft clean towels daily and clean bedding twice during the week. the balcony was also cleaned each day.
All rooms have sea views which were lovey, you can even see the sea in bed!!! The room was large with plenty of hanging space, and hangers!! There wasn't a hair dryer in the room, but we just popped to reception and we were given one. You can also borrow an iron should you need one. The staff on reception were very helpful,sorting out our return transfers, and arranging an early morning call and breakfast tray in our room as we would miss the restaurant on our departure day.
The rest of the hotel was equally as clean.
The food was fine, there was plenty of choice both breakfast and dinner, and you would have to be a very a very fussy eater to not be able to find something to eat. The restaurant staff were fab,they were so attentive and nothing was too much trouble.
The location was great, a short walk in to town where there are plenty of bars and nice places for coffee meals and snacks.
A great bar was Central Planet, we didnt eat there, although the food did look good, it was just a great place to sit and have a drink and listen to some amazing live music.You can't miss it it has a life size Mick Jagger standing outside and a delightfully friendly owner to encourage you in.
We will definately use this hotel again!!!!!

Room Tip: We had 409 it was fine, but it is under the bar and you could hear the odd chair moving above.
2  Thank jilly001
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have just returned from spending 3 nts at the Sol e mar.
As son as we walked into our room on the 4th floor I had decided this was a fantastic place. The views from the balcony were magical! All the restaurants and shops are on your doorstep as well so it really is a handy location.
Unfortunately we only had one sunny day but we liked the hotel so it was no problem hanging around the public areas. The 5th floor bar is lovely - a glass of wine less than 2.50euros. The barman was very friendly. There is an air of sophistication about the bar - a pianist plays at night and there is a dancefloor. It reminded us of being on a cruise ship.
Breakfast was fine. OK - the scrambled eggs were rather dire but on the fried egg days we were happy! As we paid less than £28 a night for room and breakfast for 2 we felt we had got an absolute bargain. We preferred this place to a so called 5* we stayed in recently. You get what you pay for! Some bits of the hotel could do with updating but everything is clean - VERY clean. We werent looking for a newly built shiny resort at 4 times the price!
The room was spacious and the bathroom too. Plenty of towels - good quality and changed every day. Bring your own toiletries. You can get a hair dryer from reception.
The 2 single beds were firm and comfy - good pillows and good linen. All very clean.
As with most continental hotels,there was no kettle in room - if I was returning I would definitely bring my travel kettle and a supply of tea and coffee. That balcony was just so lovely to sit out in - a cup of tea would have been good. The fridge in the room is quite big - plenty room for wine,beer/sodas.
We wish we were still there!
the staff were all really nice and so helpful.

1  Thank MultiTripper
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just got back from a week at the Sol E Mar with my husband and 4 year old son.
Bad points: miserable reception staff, dated hotel, no tea/coffee making facilities in room, no hair dryer in room. Indoor pool looked very grim! Large rooms but very dated.
Good points: excellent restaurant staff - manager & two waiters (twins), always very cheerful and happy to help. Good food, although we were never served grilled sardines or piri piri chicken!
FANTASTIC Location! Right on beach with beautiful view and old town right on doorstep.

Room Tip: Rooms 215/6/7, 315/6/7 probably the best. They also do interconnecting rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Idreamofsunshine
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I went for a 4 night stay with a friend. This hotel had pros and cons that need to be balanced out. I'll start with the pros:
- FANTASTIC LOCATION WITH A FANTASTIC VIEW - right next to the town + beach, and our balcony had a view right over the beach and sea
- Clean and big rooms, cleaned daily
- Comfortable beds

These somehow drastically outweighed the cons:
- Very basic room - no kettle, and very non-glam bathroom, old TV, but that's ok - I didn't go to Portugal to visit a hotel
- Very very rude 'chief' receptionist who has no idea about good customer service, or any type of customer service in fact. I wish he would read all the reviews here as I'm sure all references to the rude receptionist are probably about him! Not the end of the world though, I only saw him once
- A bug in my breakfast food on the first morning... we're not talking about a fly, it was some kind of cooked beetley thing. I fortunately(/unfortunately) spotted it amongst my mushrooms/bacon. Is it a plus that it wasn't a cockroach? I don't know... but again, this wasn't the end of the world. I checked all future breakfasts carefully and counted my lucky stars we didn't have to have lunch/dinner there.
- Not a nice swimming pool - no worries, plenty of other things to do and there's a beach outside!

So despite the numerous cons, I actually had a great relaxing holiday here, enjoyed pottering around and visiting the markets. I ate some great food, the piri-piri chicken is great (and nothing like Nando's). I also enjoyed the Portuguese steak.

I would recommend taking the little train one day, it's 3.50 euros for the whole day and will take you to the Strip and back.

Would I go back to this hotel? I would definitely consider it, especially if I was on a budget. The location and beautiful view make it worthwhile.

Room Tip: 4th floor had a great view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends