“Would visit again”
Review of Hotel do Cerro

Hotel do Cerro
Ranked #47 of 153 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We spend a week at this hotel at the end of February. There was quite a few older couples at the hotel compared to us being in our late twenties. There was a good range of food, all fresh with salad and fruit at breakfast and evening meal. The hotel was clean and everything you needed with helpful staff, cleaners, reception, bar and waitress.
Only disappointment was the swimming pool, which we decided not to bother with after reading other reviews, also to use the gym and sauna was an extra 5 euros, which if had been included we would have used.
The room needed a kettle to enable us to make tea and coffee in the afternoons or after dinner.
The hotel is a short 10 mins walk from the old town and a further 30 mins walk to the strip, but to go to the lovely coffee shops the hotel are ideal.From the old town there was a slight hill to walk back up too, which kept us fit!
The hotel is good value for Portugal, and when the weather heats up we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank greenlass

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Having stayed here many times before we cannot fault this hotel.
Excellent Food with a good choice and plenty of it!
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Marvellous views over Albufeira.
Free WiFi.
Free entertainment twice a week in the Bar.
We had a wonderful holiday, blue skies every day and we hope to return for longer next year.

Julia & Stuart

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank StuartGuernsey
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was bitterly dissapointed over the pool. I have been travelling for15years and not once have I been asked for a list of clothing to accompany me down for a swim. Now ,while I appreceite the owner may be keen on cleanliness and a hat mabe important,but the need for slippers,gown,etc,etc was just so offputting I wouldent stay there again.As an oldie that is very much part of my holiday and indeed why I booked.If the brocher(which I took) had included said list then I would have been prepared.Ms. Crown Heacham.Norfolk

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank pamela c
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My partner and I loved this hotel and would return. Mainly older people staying here and quite a few long stays. It is very quirky and there are a variety of different rooms on different levels. Staff friendly and helpful and spotlessly clean. We had to ask for a change of room whilst we were there as the old boy next door had his tv blaring. Got a change of room no problem with reception giving us the keys to two rooms to look at. We chose room 3 and this was a fabulous room looking out to the front over the sea. Accessed by winding stone steps in a turret, no rooms below, above or at side of us. School playground was across the road but not a problem. Lovely double bed, nice furnishings with nice bathroom, powerful shower etc. There was a separate couch area with lots of nice cushions, fridge (4 euros per day which you would use in summer bit steep), wardrobes, nice chairs and table and drawer units etc, flat screen Sony TV with lots of British tv chanels. AC unit which heats and cools. Lovely small indoor pool with turkish bath, sauna, gymn (5euros to use these) and they have treatments you can have (price list in rooms) and pool area, a coffee snack bar with lovely lounge area. There is also a separate comfortable reading/card room with lots of books. There is also two separate sun terraces with seating. The bar area is lovely but a bit expensive and there was a bit of entertainment in the way of a guy playing guitars on Saturday night. There are a few bars restaurants down the road. It is a fairly steep walk down to the town which might be a problem for those with mobility issues but the bus stops outside the hotel which takes you to the town and the bus station where you can get buses to lots of places including Lisbon if you wanted to venture that far.

The food at this hotel is not great and the only thing that let it down. There is always something you can find to eat but it could have been alot better.

All in all if you are looking for an all singing and dancing hotel this is not for you and not for children really. We really liked it, despite the food, and would return.

Room Tip: Room 3, double bed with larger terrace with table and chairs, couch area with cushions, nice roped r...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank russellp_11
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Loved this hotel in an ideal location. Rooms very clean. Lots of choice on food. Very hilly. Staff really friendly on reception in the bar and in the restaurant. The only thing was the pool was very cold

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mbuks
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have just returned to the uk after spending my second xmas and new year at the do Cerro and like last year I enjoyed my stay there. The staff and management were very attentive to all my needs. I walked down to the town most days and as I cannt walk up the steep pathway back up to the hotel I caught a bus most days. The only complaint I have is not many people used the bar in the evenings unless there was entertainment on which was only 3 or 4 times a week I was there for 3 weeks. I am hoping to go back later this year for xmas and new year again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nanyjay
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here just after Christmas for 7 nights. The above star rating is is just between 1 and 2.

There are a considerable number of repeaters, guests who return year after year staying for periods in excess of two weeks. Undoubtedly they can't get enough of the Do Cerro, but unfortunately for us we were ready to come home after just three days. Not wishing to upset these loyal guests, especially those that we met, who were absolutely delightful, we found the hotel to be well below average.

Small and quirky for some, but for us outdated and tired. With the exception of the bar and lounge, the areas of the hotel are in desperate need of TLC. Our room, whilst not a bad size with a nice flatscreen TV (showing ITV & BBC), certainly missed out on some loving care from the hotel maid service. Bed made up and that was about it! Very disappointing.

Would rather forget about the food - lots of "pinging" going on with poor choices and unappetising, tasteless dishes. Service friendly but at times unprofessional. Bar staff would frequently go missing leaving you waiting for drinks. Entertainment hit and miss (3 acts during our stay - Carlos (Elvis Costello) was a riot though.

The pool area and terrace is very small with rubbish views, overlooking a local school. The hotel does have some great views though, overlooking the old town of Albuferia and coastline. Unfortunately this comes at a price. A brisk walk down to the town and sea front takes 10 minutes or so down very steep, cobbled, dog messed pavements. Getting back to the hotel on foot though is the ultimate challenge, unless you're Jess Ennis or Mo Farrah!

New Years Eve (Gala Night) is all in with half board and 45 euros each if you are bed and breakfast. Entertainment not bad. Shame about the food, soup, volovants, steak and chips and a dessert I can't remember. Plenty of wine though and a brandy. Unfortunately this did not block out the incessant and annoying blowing of party horns, resembling the noise from the South African Vuvuzela. Even the fireworks at midnight were drowned out from the constant din of horn blowing.

If you are thinking of a winter break (or any other), this is probably not the place to go, unless you are super fit, deaf and have no taste buds! Weather wise early mornings and late afternoons are quite chilly, with the best (sunbathing) temps of 60 - 64 degrees and clear blue skies from 11am till 3.30pm.

Portugal and the Algarve is a lovely holiday destination. Consider Praia da Oura as an alternative, not so hilly and the Club complex there very modern and lively.

Would have posted some photos, but they are quite misleading.

Room Tip: Don't overlook the school!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple