“Good Holiday”

Ranked #71 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Manchester
“Good Holiday”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just returned after a weekslovely holiday , the hotel was tired and could do with being updated but our room was cleaned daily towels changed daily and out beds changed in the middle of our stay. Our room was lovely with a very good view of the sea and the beach. The staff were very very friendly and helpful. There are a lot of steps but there were ramps to help you get to the pool but you are on the side of a cliff. The entertainment was not very good but we were not bothered about that we do not go away for late nights. We thought the food was lovely but we are not fussy eaters there was a juice each day with fish or meat different kinds, if people complained then they must be very hard to please.. The location was good with a short walk to shops and bars if you wanted them and a free shuttle bus to Albufeira which went 3 times a day. All in all it was an enjoyable holiday. We didn't pay 5 star prices so didn't expect a 5 star hotel. We would definitely go again. I cannot understand people complaining about this hotel they must be hard to please and if they want better they should pay more for a 5 star hotel. This is nothing like the old shabby B & B in Blackpool but then again I would not know as I have never and would never go to Blackpool maybe istevolangleymill should go there in the future. We talked to people that go there year after year so it must be an ok hotel.

3 Thank anthonyManchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
nottingham
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Remember the old shabby b&b's in Blackpool and Skegness in the 1970's that is what this hotel reminded me of. Dated shabby rooms with saggy rock hard beds, tatty bathrooms, tiny wall mounted tv's too small to watch unless you stand in front of them, entertainment so poor that watching tv was a relief! Food was abysmal so were the AI drinks. Sun beds were broken, dirty, fraying and of very poor quality most people had chronic backache after lying on them. Towels only changed twice during our weeks stay and bedding never changed. Huge cockroach in room one night! Overall the hotel is suited to the chip and bingo brigade that just drink far too much so that they do not notice how appalling the food and conditions are. The only one good thing about this hotel is the location. Needs taking over by new group and a couple of million refurb and turning into a 5 star to attract better clientele. Woke up one morning to find 2 drunks asleep in corridor outside room who had peed up the room wall!!! Classy!!!!!! Def will not be returning after 30 years of travelling this hotel ranks as one of worst ever 2 star at most.

Room Tip: D Block high floor corner room
2 Thank lstevolangleymill

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

merseyside
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was our fourth year returning to the auramar on Oct 13 this year, to say we were dissapointed is an understatement. Our room was shabby and the toilet came away from the floor, and the shower was so blocked it sprayed everywhere except on you!. We complained and was told to come back the following morning after breakfast. We eventually got offered a room that was better but as we were only staying four days we wasted precious time. The food was not a patch on previous years and the entertainment was non existent. We defiantly won't be returning again, I wonder if the owners of the hotel ever read the reviews as all complaints seem to be similar. Amanda and John from southport

Room Tip: Top floor as better view and no one above you
2 Thank amanda w
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Firstly what a lovely location this hotel has but NOT for the infirmed, a lot of steps to get a round the hotel, and down to the pools etc to get to the beach can also be a bit tricky,but generally the garden areas well maintained with some beutiful flowers etc my only concern was because it catered for All Inclusive etc it tended to be a bit noisey round the main pool area and dance bar which I suppose can be expected with "hen parties and stag do's" mainly at weekends.
We spent 14 days at the hotel and their was a problem with some people having a problem with sickness etc 24 hr bug but if you don't use the Sanitiser and there was plenty dotted a round you can't expect much else when people don't wash there hands !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We was on a half board basis the breakfasts had plenty of choice we found it exceptable as was the evening meal plenty of hot meal choices, salads etc and sweats fresh fruit,ice cream if reqiured.
The room we had was in B323 which was a large family room, with a fridge freezer in which was useful for buying in and storing as the weather was fantastic for the the 14 days we enjoyed our stay but we will not rush back, but never say never

Room Tip: D Block 401/2/3 4th floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I too am not one for complaining but this is by far, ( apart from the view) a diabolical disgrace to the tourism industry in the algarve. I echo others re the food poisoning after 24 hours I came down with it. The hotel was sold as a hotel with "just a few steps" as I explained that my wife has mobility problems to the travel agent.
On the plus side our rep got us moved to a REAL hotel near the old town.
We paid for all inclusive at the auramar and had to pay extra to downgrade to half board at the other hotel but it was well worth it although our rep has ensured we got the right paperwork to ensure we can claim compensation.
The only plus is the view, however the view isn't worth food poisoning. I even had to go out and buy a kettle as it was impossible for my wife to negotiate the constant steps and slopes of this so called hotel.
I'm not a snob and yes you get what you pay for but it's not too much to ask to go to on holiday and know you are safe to eat and drink without fear of illness, and when I say drink, I was only drinking bottled water whilst here, so for the ones that are thinking it was self inflicted are we wide of the mark. Also the rep informed me that 3 tourist companies pulled out of the auramar due to all the illness's associated with it. If you do go.....good luck.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Keith C
Luton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

we just returned from the auramar after a 1 week stay .... I will start by saying it was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in we was block c room 305 the balcony are small and clostraphopic our balcony was set right back my view was concrete wall unless I stood up...our front door was opp the kitchen where they parked the staff bus and this was started 6am every morning to collect the staff and returned half hour later and this was where the staff would smoke and chat ... I did complain and was offered two other rooms that was worse so decided to stay put as I became ill... the food was cold and boring same thing everynight although the chicken and pork was alternated all other choices was the same daily I came down with sickness and diaherria on my second day never had a hot meal all week unless I used the microwave provided....the free courstey bus is 3 x a day 9am 12pm and the last bus 4pm so forgot using this service for a night out...Thomas cook did e.mail this hotel and request block a has this block was close to street level but we was never offered this I have servere arthritis in both knees and the stairs to go anywhere was a joke so not for anyone that any walking difficulitys the path to the beech was so steep it was a complete no no....the only bar for drinks that was opened during the day or night from our room involved 8 flights of steps so ended up getting cabs to town as much easier for me and to be honest I night of the organ player and parrot show was quite enough for us.....the receptionist that booked us in was horrible and rude and did not care that I could not manage with the amount of stairs from my room to the dinning room and bar she just shugged her shoulders and laughed .....over all I would go back to Portugal as it was a lovely place but I would pay extra and pay for a better hotel I can only blame myself for choosing this one but will read trip advisor before I go away again....but on a positive note the hotel health and safety did call or room and offered water and bannanas when I was ill

Room Tip: block A is closest to reception and street level but lots of stairs still to pool/bar and dinning ar...
2 Thank Gloria C
leicester
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I am not a serial complainer - please read my other reviews - so this is a genuine review.
AS per many of the other reviews, I also came down with sickness and diarrhoea for about 36hrs which totally spoilt the stay, we were only there for a few days and wanted to swim with the dolphins at Zoomarine, but due to my illness on the day booked we couldn't go. I hadn't read about this before we went, but clearly its not a one off, and nothing to do with me, its something the hotel have caused as I have never been ill like this on holiday before even in Egypt, India and Goa and more out of the way places. The hotel were notified, but didn't speak to me and haven't got back to me since I contacted them on my return.
I don't know if its the food being heated and re-served as something different the next day, could be, lots of pork and fish products being reheated could be the issue.
There are loads of steps to get anywhere around the complex, no good for the elderly or disabled....and no good when you are weak from throwing up and spending all night in the toilet when you just want to relax by the pool as the walk back up was tough!
The walk to the beach from the hotel is quite steep with rock faces to fall down, much better to go via the road even if it takes quite a bit longer.
The beach though is quite nice.
The rooms were large and airy and well spaced with a small balcony, a little dated but ok.
No tea or coffee, but for some reason a cupboard with tin openers, 2 bowls, a jug, a plate and some forks......not quite sure what for to be honest, where most people were All Inclusive, could've just left coffee/tea and a kettle. There was a kitchen sink but no kitchen appliances ie kettle/toaster!
TV was hit and miss, the channel you were watching disappeared. The bed was hard, there was no give in it and it didn't help my sleeping especially as I was ill and wanted comfort.
The bathroom was fine, shower above a bath, toilet, bidet and sink, all ok.
The décor in the rooms could do with updating, tiles and flooring a bit haphazard dirty and broken, but it was ok for a few nights stay.
The pool area was nice with plenty of sunbeds.
As per another report, you cant do a lot about seagulls landing in the pool.
The lunch "all inclusive" was repetitive and some stuff was made from the leftovers from the previous day, there was always burgers, chips, fish - a selection of Portugese food might have been nice for Portugal.....I cant say a lot more about the food as I don't know what made me bad. Though, I will say the cake selection at night was good, and the staff in the dining room were hard worked and friendly.
The "complimentary" coffee machine in the lobby required 1 euro to get a drink!!!?? The Lobby Bar didn't open and so the free drinks stopped early.
Wifi was only in the Lobby which is a shame, should extend to the rest of the hotel.
Unless you like Blackpool and have gone to Portugal for british people in british pubs being rowdy and drunk then avoid The Strip and make your way instead to the Old Town which is more civilised.
I think most European hotels advertise rooms as double/twin as there are 2 twin beds pushed together I think this is pretty standard.....and quite good seeing as I went with a friend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends