“Stop Moaning !!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auramar Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Auramar Beach Resort
Ranked #70 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
Blackburn
“Stop Moaning !!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

After reading reviews about this hotel on here I was travelling with a fair amount of dread but people need not be worried.
I had one major gripe which I will come to later.

The Hotel itself could not be better positioned,a two minute walk to the beach, 5-10 minute walk to the infamous 'Strip' and a lovely 20 minute walk down the beach to the Old town.
The staff could not have been friendlier, previous complainers could not have met the lovely Julianna who could not do enough.
The food - we were only on breakfast which was adequate canteen food, the person earlier complaining about chips for breakfast should remember that they are an option , probably an attempt by the hotel to please the English palate.
The rooms were again adequate, cleaned every day and with TVs showing Sky News, BBC ITV etc
Now my only problem with the hotel was the horrendous machine noise which never seems to end though is fairly random, apparently it is machinery working the lift, its a major problem for the hotel because it really is very noisy and if I wasnt shattered every night would have kept me awake.

Other than that a perfectly enjoyable stay apart from those pesky Germans that were all inclusive making one hell of a racket day after day near the pool on the free vodkas !!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The Hotel's machinery noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brownie26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ashford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

After reading several reports on this site regarding Auramar I was slightly concerned. However having paid £220 each for a week B&B during school half term I was also pretty realistic about what I was getting.

There are elements of the Auramar that are 5* and there are elements that are 2* - so I would say it truly is a 3* hotel.

The hotel is undeniably dated and could do with a makeover. We were in room 316 Block A - the view from the room was superb - ocean view at no extra cost. The room itself was large and comfortable - no complaints about the bed from me - although having 2 singles pushed together to make a double is never perfect.

The cleaners visited the room each day and made the bed, emptied the bins and change the towels when required. I wouldnt say they cleaned much but this didn't worry us at all.

The reception staff were a little on the abrupt side but again this wasnt going to bother us.

Breakfast each day was fine - always plenty to eat and plenty of choice.

The location of the hotel is it's best point. The beach is beautiful if a little tricky to get too. Turn left when you leave the gate at the bottom of the hotel and the beach is about 200 yards further along it is very secluded and there is a great little bar/restaurant there. Turn right and you face the staircase to the other beach - the steps move whilst you are on them and finish about 10 feet from the beach which means you have to use the rocks to climb the rest of the way down - not recommended for the elderly or after a few beers !!

You will find yourself a 5 minute stroll from the Strip - all a bit to English for me when I'm on holiday but plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from. The Old town which is more traditional is a good 30 minute walk away and again has a great choice of restaurants etc - a taxi from the hotel is a mere 5 Euros.

All in all the Auramar is not perfect but then it is 3* - and at just over £200 each incl flights it was well worth the money. I would however not advise anyone to stay here All Inclusive purely because there is so many restaurants close by all offering excellent food and good prices.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank AllanGema
South East
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

A good hotel went for some april sunshine but unfortunately you cant control the weather and it rained for most of the week we were there.

However the hotel itself was very nice found the staff friendly wasnt sure about the 10 Euro deposit for a key never heard that before!!!

Indoor pool was fine and warm and spent most of the time there however the 2 outdoor ones where to cold to even dip a toe in.

Did concern me though that most of the hotel leaked when it rained especially the indoor pool roof and they told us we could use the pool table as adults but no children were allowed out there as a girl slipped and broke her leg.

The breakfast was ok but nothing to write home about found a lovely couple of restaurants up in the village area Called Paulus Pizzeria and Neto's.

All in all a good hotel for the money but needs some refurbishment!

• Liked — Cleanliness, Entertainment
  • Disliked — Leaky Roofs
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
West Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2008

I have never experienced such a terrible 2 days.
When we arrived the Receptionist told us to stand over there, not good morning etc.
She gave us our key and told us our room was on the 3rd floor, as we opened the lift door there was only enough room for 1 person and their luggage therefore, my friend had to send the lift back down for me.

When I opened the door of the room there was only half a ceiling in the bathroom with pipes all exposed, the rain was coming through into a puddle on the floor. The window ledge had towels on it to soak up the rain and the curtains were swinging with the draft from the windows and doors.

The bedding was grey and the blankets filthy dirty. the bathroom was dirty - need I go on.

I went back down and told the receptionist about it, although she wasn't bothered and gave me a key to another room. When we looked there it was exactly the same.

On the journey to the second room there were towels and sheets mopping up the rain coming through the ceilings and windows in all of the corridors, as well as the indoor pool room.

I told the receptionist I wasn't happy with the rooms and asked her to upgrade, she said to come back the following morning. The Snack Bar had food that looked as if it had been there for several days, and you drank wine from a plastic beaker!
We had to walked down 2 corridors and 2 flights of stairs (which were quite slippy with the rain coming in), then outside and down a slope to the snack bar for something to eat - we are 2 women of 60!
In the evening they had folk dancing (which we were told are on all of the time) it was quite boring, the bar closed at 11 pm and you couldn't get anything to eat after 9 pm.

This hotel should be closed down and refurbished, employ cleaners who clean, teach the receptionist how to recept, and if our H & S were there, they would have closed the snack bar and restaurant down.

I wouldn't advise anybody to go to this hotel as it was the worst experience of my life.

I had to pay extra to be moved to another hotel as I could not have spent a week there.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — all of it
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank winniew00

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

... a place of disappintment.

I have been here in the Algarve now for the past 5 winters and done some travelling around, staying in a variety of Hotels. So, when visiting a friend of mine who is staying here at the "Auramar" Apart Hotel for most of the canadian winter, I visited him in this Hotel which has also accomodations for longtime stays. At first I very much liked what I saw - even if the beach is not half as nice for excample as the one in Praia Rocha about 35 km west of Albufera.

The location is grand, (right along the water and a short walk to town) and the outside with the pools and other amenities seems most relaxing., but there are things that make me not wanting to stay there again.

My girlfriend and I decided to stay here for a weekend, to get away for a day, so here is what it was really like:

We arrived in time for the 2:00 pm check-in time, and had no problem parking the car free in front. The first oddity at checking in with the not too friendly reception girl was a 10 Euro deposit (???) for the room key. We were assigned a room in the "B" complex # 206".

Upon entering the room, we immediately were not very excited about the bedding. Old and what to us looked dirty bedcovers (well used) as well as the old and grimy looking blankets on top of the sheets sure did not seem very inviting.
I found hair under the sheets, as well as small little black things that seemed to be tiny dead bugs, so I am not certain that the sheets even had been washed, perhaps they were just pressed to look smooth again.

None of the (dirty) windows could be opened, so at first I was bothered by the lack of fresh air which made me caugh. Sleeping with the balcony door open was not an option as it may invite unwanted mosquitos or other critters. In the bathroom one may look in vain for any electrical outlets to plug in a hairdryer or shaver, they just don't exist. So to shave, I used the one in the main-room by unplugging the TV. And in the shower there is no place on the wall to hang the shower hose curled up around the faucets.

During the day, AND at night one is exposed to a terrible and un-nerving loud noise right above that apparently comes from the operation of some machinery that operate a nearby elevator. It sounds like a diesel truck is being started and then shut off again, every time someone uses the elevator.

At 40 Euro/night breakfast is included with the room, which is nothing to write home about. Beans, french fies, eggs, slimy ham, greasy bacon, some fruit and slices of cheap cheese and bolognia. Nescafe from an automat and a couple choices of juice.

Since we did not want to walk to town for dinner, we opted for having dinner at the Hotel restaurant. At 15 euro ea. (without drinks) the buffet was not much better than the breakfast, boring and few choices.
For drinks we had Beer at 2 eu, same for a small Pepsi (they don't have Coke) and glas red 1.50 euro (no complains about the prices)

Btw, the restaurant being on the ground floor and a long walk away from the main building with many steps in between may be a challlenge for handicapped people or worse - in a wheelchair.

So, in the end we had a 36 euro dinner that was less palatable then if we would have gone for a simple outing in just one of the food courts of which "PANS" is most recommendable. I feel sorry for the people who went for "Full-board" plan at 100 Euro/day and in my opinion is absolutely NOT worth the money.

During the evening (it was sunday night) there was a most enjoyable typical Algarvian Folklore show right in the hotel lobby, which was the highlight of the whole stay and towards the end called for the participation of the audience, great pleasure for all.

During our stay we overheard others complaining to the front desk about a variety of issues, but the staff at the counter did not seem to be too interested in listening to it, or perhaps they were tired if hearing too many. At times they were outright rude.

Upon talking to some other visitors, (mostly english and of middle aged or older) we learned that some found cockroaches in their room and in one instance even in their hot chocolate drink.

One lady we spoke to had booked a 2 week stay and actually was considering cutting it short, unfortunately she was committed and most likely would NOT receice any refund.

So, in a nutshell, we wont stay there again - ever, and wish I would have read at least one of the many negative reports about this place from others.

But the bi-sunday folklore shows shows are well worth a visit.

• Liked — The location, beach and proximity to town
  • Disliked — Cleaniliness and outdated/ lack of facilities in the rooms, (Does the Hotel-management ever read these reviews?)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sailornappo
bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2008

What a brill holiday i had. It was my first time away with my b/f the family tagged along to. 2 weeks al.
I thought the hotel was amazing so beautiful setting!

Yea ok the food was the same just seemed to repeat itself but it wasnt bad tasting food so i didnt mind. And the waiter making bird noises to make everyone look round for a bird was sooo funny to watch.
The swimming pool was my fav which i got pushed into many of times, cold but i got used to it.
Our towels and bedding was changed nearly everyday and the maids cleaned everythin in my room. (they must of hated cleaning my room).

The only complaint i have is the entertainment in the hotel at night, it went on for about half an hour then it was a man playing a keyboard which done my head in. but there are so many bars and a club just 5 mins away so we had somethin different to do.

I found the staff very helpful when i got a ear infection they showed me where to go to see a doctor and the chemists which was only 10 mins away walking.
The weather was perfect seen no clouds for 2 weeks actually on our last day it was cloudy bit cold but cant complain got a good tan from it.

I definetly go back again and would recommend any1 to go here.

• Liked — mostly everything
  • Disliked — night time entertainment
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank sarahlou87
Aberdeen, Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2008

Booked the holiday last minute through Thomas Cook and it cost nearly 1400 pounds for my partner and I to go all inclusive. To be honest it was the only thing I could get at such short notice and it was flying out on the 30th Dec and coming back on the 6th which obviously meant we would celebrate new year somewhere sunny :)

We arrived to find a reasonably presented foyer area with helpful staff at the front desk, and were promptly given instructions to our room. The room had a sea view as requested and was very basic, but clean. The room was in desperate need of modernisation/upgrade but other than that it was habitable.

The all inclusive package in terms of the food and drink available was a joke given the cost of the holiday. The food was the same poor selection everyday and really could not be considered as healthy eating. There was a salad selection available, but it really did not look appetising whatsoever. Morning, noon and night the food selection was almost the same and there was a reall lack of choice. We ended up getting the "freemaps" map of the area and picking places to dine each day, then visited these places and this was a nice excuse to get out all day and night exploring the area.

All in all, if the holiday was half the price and the food standard increased by a factor of 10, I would consider the Auramar again.

• Liked — The views and ease of access to the old town
  • Disliked — food/drink
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple