“great location - spoilt by many silly things”

Auramar Beach Resort
Ranked #72 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Firstly this hotel is in a great location, lovely pools, close to the strip but far enough away not to be disturbed by the noise, only half an hour slow walk to The Old Town. The food was typical 3 star all inclusive but was not very hot, the variety of drinks was ok but spoilt but the very cheap coke/lemonade mixers which were from bottles which were left open so was always flat.

My husband was ill half of the week we were there and almost every person you spoke to someone in their party had been ill with the diarrhea/vomiting bug. When we talked to reception they blamed it on too much drink (my husband had been too ill to drink!!),

Also, as has been commented by other people, there were too many stag/hen parties. Most of them were well behaved but whilst we were there a large party of irish men were just too noisy spoiling it for couples and families who wanted a relaxing holliday not to be watching crowds of drunken men acting idiots around the pool. The hotel need to decide if they wanna be a family hotel or a hotel for drunken parties.

We did have a good time and if you have booked to go you will enjoy it so dont be put off - there are just some tweeks that need to be made. For the price you pay it is good value - if you dont get the bug!

3  Thank SMARTY186258
Write a ReviewReviews (3,038)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay at this hotel from 29/04 to 03/05 to celebrate my wives 60th birthday and after reading some of the reviews I was abit apprehensive about going there, but I went with a open mind. We arrived on Monday evening and first impressions on arrival were very good, a big spacious clean reception area, no smell. We booked in and were shown to our room A506 on the top floor, the room was large,very clean and had a sea view which I requested. there was two single beds pushed together and one on its own as there were three In our party, the bathroom was clean and had plenty of clean towels. We went down to the restaurant which required walking down alot of steps, not suitable for anyone with a disability, the restaurant was large and clean and there was a good selection of food on display,the waiting staff were polite and helpful, the grounds of the hotel were kept in good condition with a large pool area and plenty of sun beds, the pool area has a pool bar were you can have a snack during the day. After our second morning here my wife and her sister became very sick and had to spend all day in bed with the virus thats in the hotel. On the Thursday morning there was a meeting in the reception area with the general manager and there were people who wanted shifted out of this hotel asap, overall from the Saturday to the Thursday there was twenty to thirty people sick with this virus and some of them had to be hospitalized, the travel companys know nothing about this virus and are still sending people here. The other problem with this hotel is there is alot off stag and hen parties and it can be very noisy and boisterous at times, we were awoken at three o clock one morning and then at five o clock by a very drunk stag party who were roaring and shouting at the top off there voices.I also witnessed the seagulls that frequent the pool area letting go of their excrement into the pool and they also use the pool to bath in, not very hygienic.Overall found staff to be friendly, beds made every day and towels changed every day,hotel looks clean and found no smell, food and drink was ok, too many steps for anyone with a disability, good pool area but you may not get a quite relaxing holiday, entertainment was very poor. Free bus into the old town of Albuferia which has a large square where you can sit and watch the world go by, the strip or new town is about ten minutes walk away which has shops and night clubs. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank wderry17
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Ok firstly I read trip advisor a lot n do take wat I read seriously.

The hotel is lovely set in a beautiful location on the sea wat more can you ask for, your own beach its fantastic...

Ok thats it with positives....

I went with 15 girls ages from 20-65 no I felt we was not your typical loud group. Yes we had fun but our intentions where to go relax. So tue we lost 5 of our girls wed 8 Thursday 13 ... all sickness and poos. I witnessed children being sick n a cone being put over it . Its shocking the stuff I had to witness n im 30! Ive been the clubbing holidays n this was possibly worse environment ive ever seen.

When I questioned this to reception I was shot down with 'you was seen clubbing its self inflicted' ok I understand that but 1) I was not yet ill 2) it feels like you had your spys out.

I can only talk bout my own experience but my best friends hen do was spoiled not one night did we all go out together. Girls including myself in tears wanting to come home.

If you go n ignore this comment please please please take medication with you. Clean your hands avoid the pool as it can't be clean.

Im lucky to have got it on the way home but it resulted in me missing work. Honestly my advice go somewhere else or ur in a lottery good luck x

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Shellystar D
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hi, The wife and I have just returned from a week at the Auramar hotel in Albueira, Porutgal.
We read some of the hotel reviews( which were not very complimentary), before we went and didn't know what to expect as this was our first time in the hotel or for that matter Portugal.
The hotel itself was a pleasant surprise, a large hotel with lots of additions or annexes in superb landscaped gardens with three pools and plenty of poolside furniture.
The hotel and rooms were very clean, towels changed daily if required, the resturant well run and clean with staff there to clear tables when finished. The food was typical 3 star buffet but there was something for everybody to choose from with the plates being clean and hot. The lunch time menu (buffet) was served from the poolside bar but again the staff were very efficient.
We were all inclusive but the wait for drinks, lunch or evenings was never very long, even though the hotel was fairly busy. The entertainment we thought was poor and rather let the place down
although some people seemed to like It. The only downside to the hotel is a lot of steps no matter where you go in the hotel inside or out there's steps.
The hotel put on a fairly regular mini bus service into the town of Albufeira which we both liked very much because of the old town effect, we also had a trip into Faro the main city, also very nice with a large marina surrounded by resturants and shops.
If you want nightlife there's plenty down the strip, clubs, bars, eateries everything you could want,
lots of hen & stag parties so very busy. Very good holiday.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank graham_ward1017
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just stayed there one of the worst hotels i,ve stayed at very dated not three star very noisy everything echoed and don,t get put by the lift . Full of hen and stag parties which spoilt it if you wanted to stay by the pool. the food was terrible had to start eating out after i caught a bug.Only one bar which served drinks in plastic cups would not recommend.Must add the staff were good

Room Tip: Don,t get put by the lift
4  Thank keith174
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our room was large with good views of the sea but decor and furniture were dated. The hotel facilities are reasonable; the pool looked clean, the buffet selection in the restaurant was good and the staff were friendly. The hotel is very close to the great sandy beach which was almost deserted everytime we went to it - most of the hotel guests seemed to stay by the hotel pool. The town is about a half hour walk but there was a free shuttle bus. The 'strip' of bars is a five minute walk away but the hotel is far enough away to avoid the associated noise etc.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James B
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked this hotel for 1 week all inclusive, we were going for 2 weeks at Christmas. We arrived on the Wednesday and on the Saturday I suffered from projectile vomiting and spent all day and evening ill in bed I only drank water for 24 hours. I do NOT drink alcohol and was informed that it was probably the Norovirus that is rife in the hotel and has been for months. Others have commented that it is dirty people that get it, well I am very careful with hygiene, apparently the Manager blames the British for bringing this virus over, I have done some research, and apparently it is worldwide, and as the hotel seems to have a mix of guests, I do not see why the British get the blame for this. I really think that this hotel needs a good clean up. From the outside of the hotel and the open areas it looks fantastic, however, our room was one of the old ones, if you do go and you have a metal rail on your balcony, you have one of the upgraded rooms, there are really nice as we saw our neighbours apartment. Ours was old dated and never looked clean despite the maids attempts. Some of the staff were lovely, others did nothing but complain about the long hours and the poor pay. There are lots of stag and hen parties go to the Auramar and it can get quite noisy, but we did not see any trouble and never heard anything late at night. The ocean views are spectacular, but really that is all I can say was good about this place.
We have changed our winter holiday to go to another hotel in Albuferia and are just thankful that we only had 1 week here. We did ask to move rooms, but were told there were not any upgraded rooms, I beg to differ, as we saw one right next door to us!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room 2nd or 3rd floor if you must really go here
3  Thank judygb