“Not that bad”

Auramar Beach Resort
Ranked #73 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed for a week in april it wasnt really that bad think of it as a budget complex. Dont expect to much but all you really need. If only for the weather was a little naff. The complex really is situated well. Night time entertainment is well ok if you want to sit and have a drink with your family if you get a table so be early if you can.
All in all dont expect the hilton when you paid for the algarves pontins.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank kurtnali
There are newer reviews for Auramar Beach Resort

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We travelled with Jet 2 and found no problems with the flights or the transfers. Arrived at the hotel at 1pm and was shown immediately to the room by a man who took my bag which was quite good because we were quite a way from reception. We were in Block C - it took 2 days to get the barings of the place and yes there are lots of steps so anyone with mobilty issues I would avoid. With regards to the food - yes there were occasions it was quite repetitive and be warned about the seaguls at lunchtime by the pool but there is plenty of space inside to eat too. I did get S&D on the third night and spent the following day in bed - but could not guarantee what caused it.
Location is superb! Beautiful view of the see from our balcony and within a 10 walk uphill to the strip. There is also a shuttle bus three times a day to the old town but we found taxis were just as good two. Be warned tho reception do charge to phone a taxi - 50c. It cost about 5euros and they drop u off in the middle of the old town. The old town is beautiful and well worth a visit. Found a lovely resturant called Bravos in the old town square - only ones who didnt pester.
Staff - some nice staff in the resturant and some on reception but found the bar staff rather unhelpful.
Maid came in a changed the towels everyday and made bed - changed the beds during our stay
You can book trips with reception too and i would highly recommend the buggy safari - was expensive but fantastic.
After reading reviews on here I was very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank 292Nicola1985
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We arrived home yesterday after a 7 night stay here, and I have to admit we were skeptical about going after reading some of the reviews here. I even contemplated ringing our booking agent and asking to get swapped to a different hotel, but we thought we would give it a chance and see for ourselves, and we are glad we did! We both did not suffer from the sickness bug, despite me being prone to catching any type of bug going around. There are hand sanitizers situated outside the restaurants which can be used if required, I also brought my own hand gel which I used now and again.
We arrived on Friday the 5th April at 11am, and were told that check in time was not until 2pm but were advised to leave our baggage in the storage room and were given our all inclusive wrist bands regardless, we were then advised of the times of lunch and dinner and given a small booklet which had the all inclusive guidelines in it. We had to pay a 10 euro deposit for the room key, but keep the receipt in a safe place (i.e tucked into a purse/wallet/passport etc) and it won't get lost! We made our way down to the pool area and waited on lunch to be served.
I was a bit dubious about the drink choices after reading reviews here, Im not a heavy drinker and was scared that I would not be able to drink the strong drinks, however there was also a choice of 4 cocktails - dacquiris, vodka sun, caiprihinia (sp) and pina colada - bare in mind that these are not the quality of bars and restaurants that you pay 6euro per drink for, but they are very nice and extremely drinkable - besides what can you expect for all inclusive?
The bar staff were very helpful and advised us on their local alternatives to various drinks such as baileys (there is a dutch creme called anleys available) and tia maria (i could not really tell the difference!) they also make your drinks as strong or as weak as you prefer, just let them know!
You are able to get two drinks at a time per person, so this is not too bad as it saves having to go back and forth to the bar. Waiting time was never too long either.
We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, and never once encountered anybody rude, abrupt or ignorant - you get treated the way you treat others, be nice and others will be nice back!
The cleaner came EVERY morning, she reached our room between 10-11 and several times we told her we were okay for the day, but she still asked were we sure we did not need her, and offered fresh towels. The days that she came in she even folded up my boyfriends jeans and put his shoes away! There is a door bell on the side of the door which she used to let us know she was calling. We did not have a do not disturb sign which was annoying, but we were able to let the receptionist know if we did not need the cleaner or if we wanted her to call later, which was helpful.
The room is basic and a bit dull, but not as bad as i expected from the reviews. Certainly very safe and comfortable. No cigarette burns, damages, bugs or anything else that people have spoken about. We stayed in room A331 which had a sea view but overlooked the top of the block infront. We found this to be okay because we still had a nice view of the sea. No kettle, but I think this is available to rent for a small deposit. There is a fridge and small freezer. Lots of room to hang clothes, and extra blankets and pillows in the wardrobe.
The one thing that was not great about the room is that there was no main light in the bedroom area, we used the lamps at either side of the bed and one on the desk but it was hard to do my makeup some nights, however there is a large mirror with a light above it in the bathroom.
The food was perfectly acceptable, and there was a good variety. I was worried about the food as I am a vegetarian and can be a bit fussy with what I eat also, but I had no complaints. I did not have breakfast as I am not a breakfast person, but my boyfriend went down for breakfast a few times and said that there was scambled eggs, toast, sauages, yogurts etc.
Lunch is in the poolside cafe which we found enjoyable as if we wanted to sunbathe it was not far to go for food/drinks. There is always a good supply of bread rolls (they come in a plastic wrap) and food is replenished frequently. I found that there was not great deal of choice for vegetarians at lunch time, just salad, apples, oranges, chips, soup (not sure what stock was used so did not have this) and spaghetti with a tomato sauce. I mainly had some chips with a bread roll, an orange and a dessert which was either a slice of cake, ice cream, or mousse.
There are quite a few seagulls around but what can you expect for a cliff top, sea side hotel? We chose to eat our food inside so as not to be harassed by them but we did not see anyone get attacked as mentioned before. Some people did leave trays of uneaten food on the tables outside inside of leaving them inside, so they did feed of the tables now and again but people should know better and clean up after they eat!
It was a bit cold when we were there, a cool breeze blew through the area so we did not use the outdoor pool. There is a small heated indoor pool which seems to be well maintained and kept clean.
The panoramic restaurant is used for dinner time, and there is a wide selection of food there - I found there to be more that suited me. Each dinner time there was a different vegetarian meal that wasw well labeled. They had different pastas, salad, soup, chips, potatoes (some nights were croquettes, some nights roasties, etc) and we enjoyed the pizza slices - two nights they had tomato or mushroom topping and another night they had beef topping.
Sometimes there is a bit of a wait for the waiter to come over to take an order for drinks, but we never waited too long and if you attract their attention they come straight over. The jug of sangria is nice. Im not a big fan of sangria, but I enjoyed theirs.
The restaurant seemed clean and tidy and we had no cause for complaint. There was a smell of dampness in the lobby but nothing overbearing like some people have said, and it definitely did NOT smell like nappies!!
We could not get connected to the wifi in the lobby despite trying numerous times on a tablet, kindle and mobile phone. This was rather annoying as we would have liked to use it, however, we were able to get connected in many of the local bars and restaurants.
We booked a boat trip from the reception and the staff member was very helpful and friendly, our transport to the marina was 20 minutes late and she rang to see where they were - beware if going on the boat trip, and bring warm clothing as it can get very cool and is quite choppy - a lady lay inside the boat the entire time vomitting into a bin bag, so only go on the boat trip if you have a strong stomach!
The hotel is a short walk down several steps to the beach, which is very nice and walking distance to the old town. It is also very close to the new town 'strip' so it is in an ideal location for both. The taxis are around 5-6 euro to go to the old town, which we found to be reasonable.
We also noted that many people complained about the amount of steps in the hotel - there are several small lifts (fit 3-4 people) located around the complex which we used to get to/from our room, and we found the steps down to the pool side cafe to be nothing. If you are unfit/not very mobile they may cause a problem but there are a few steps then a short distance between another few steps and so on, so this gives you a chance to stretch your legs inbetween using the steps! We were worried that it would be a massive staircase of steps that would cause leg cramps, but we used them without problem.
The dancing bar is kept clean and the service is good, we never seen any drunken yobs that someone previously spoke about, and found the enterainment to be adequate. We stayed until 11 most nights until all inclusive finished, then headed out afterwards. There was a man playing an organ, and sometimes singing most nights. There was also bingo, a quiz (not great, couldn't hear the questions), parrot show, reptile show and brazilian dancers. The two entertainment girls were great with the kids and they seemed to enjoy themselves singing songs, and dancing every night for a few hours. This is ideal if you come with children and want them to have something to do at night. There are also activities during the day such as yoga, morning walks etc. There is a noticeboard in reception.
Overall we found the hotel to be comfortable, clean, welcoming, and good value for money. I think people find reasons to complain and will moan about any small thing. This was our first time going all inclusive and would definitely go again. Of course they will serve their local spirits, wine and soft drinks but they are all drinkable and unlimited so you cant really complain!
If you have booked this hotel, go with an open mind and enjoy yourself, don't let other reviews put you off !!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view :)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Kristene288
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Absolutely beautiful location of outstanding natural beauty. Situated on the beach between two sandy coves. Hotel is spotless and worth what you pay for all inclusive. Kids club and evening entertainment ok. Only 15 mins walk from main strip and 30mins along beach to town center. Very pretty town. Prices about the same as uk but cheaper on the strip.
Staff couldn't do enough for us. Rooms cleaned every day . Beautiful pools and views. As a family of grandparents , parents and 7 year old twins we had a lovely time. We felt it was good value for money. You get what you pay for.!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank arl l
Reviewed April 12, 2013

When reviewing the hotel it is important to remember how much you paid for your stay; £600 for three, all inclusive which cannot be regarded as a considerable amount of money for a room with a balcony, a sea view and all you can eat and drink?

The room was standard but comfortable, cleaned daily and had lovely views of the sea and beach. I was pleased that they had provided a room on a high floor which I had requested. The TV had BBC1 and BBC2 which enabled me to keep in touch with the 'Premier league' and 'Homes under the hammer'. The hotel is in a great location and is well designed with views from the pool area out to sea and along the beach to Albufeira. The staff were friendly and helpful.

It was a bonus having free WI-FI in the reception area despite the smell of 'wet dog'.

The food was a little disappointing; the hotel appears to be caught between catering for the British tattoo fraternity with their appetite for chips, burgers, pizza and baked beans swilled down with a pint of Gin and serving local dishes. The Turkey kebabs however were either related to, or a close friend of, the 'wet dog'. It would be hard to speak too highly of the food after being laid low by the scrambled eggs (sorry for the vomit in the litter basket). My partner, Raechel, ended the week with D&V and was severely 'down in the dumps' whilst Daisy, my albino daughter, saved her vomit for Ryanair. We may have just been unlucky?

Room Tip: Take a room with balcony, sea view, on a high floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank FrankRoberts
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We arrived back in the UK yesterday following a 7 night all inclusive stay at the Auramar Beach resort. We read a lot of reviews about the hotel before we left and I have got to admit, we were worried, especially with so many mentions of sickness.

When we arrived (at 5 past midnight) we were shown to out room in D block and found that the hotel had left us sandwiches, fruit and a drink in our room, which we thought was nice. Our room was basic but clean and functional. It was cleaned every day, our towels were changed daily and the beds regularly.

The lobby area did indeed have a smell about it, but it was not really too offensive. It smelled a bit of damp that had been masked with a cheap air freshener. The lobby bar was not open at all during our stay but you have to take into account, it was out of season.

The food was basic but tasty. There were a lot of rice and pasta dishes and of course, plenty of chips. We have stayed all inclusive a number of times now and although this food wasn't the best, it certainly wasn't the worst either. It did get a bit samey as the week went on, but the strip and the old town are not far away if you want a change. The eating areas were clean. the pool side snack bar was a bit plastic and cheap looking but we didn't really spend a lot of time there. The drinks were local cheaper brand of wine and spirit unless you asked for a specific brand (which I saw some people do), the lager was a premium brand. My husband said it was the best lager he's had in an all inclusive hotel.

The location of this hotel is fantastic. The view from some of the balconies and the main restaurant were amazing. The small town was just a mile walk down the beach (the hotel also puts on a free bus) and the strip is a 10 minute walk in the opposite direction. There are plenty of places to shop, eat and drink. The sea was also visible from the pool and we sat out a few days by the pool taking in the sun.

While we were there, we didn't see or hear any evidence of the sickness bug. I did feel a little fragile the last couple of days I was there but I can not blame the hotel at all for this. I think it was just a combination of too much sun, food and wine. Over all I would say this holiday was good value for money. Yes, the hotel is basic but for the price I can not complain at all.

Please don't be put off too much by bad reviews. A holiday is what you make of it.

• Stayed: April 2013
6  Thank Nicwilliamson
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Why does Thomas cook and other tour operators still sending people if its that bad we were there in November and yes there is. Smell in the lobby but your only walking through it ,the food was good when we were there and am a fussy eater but always found something to eat ,yes some of the waiters do not laugh but would you or king all these hours and such a chep rate ( don't think so )our room was cleaned every day and they do need to sort out the seagulls but back here in Britain they are the same squawking and wanting fed all the time and what are you expecting for what you pay the RITZ ......................

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple