“Relaxing Hotel 8/10” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #70 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
kent
“Relaxing Hotel 8/10”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

I have just come home from a 4 day break to this hotel. Before i went i read all the comments on here and was abit scared to what i would see. But my experience was lovely. Big Spacious Rooms, Very Clean hotel, Lots of choice of food, Happy Friendly staff.
The only downfall of this hotel was Entertainment! Some old boy playing Musical Keyboard in the lobby every night the same songs bless him he was sweet just not my taste of entertainment and every night it got abit much!
We were put in Block C we had to climb 10 flights of stairs to get to the Reception/Resturant my legs ached by day 4!
I would not recommend this hotel to disabled people.
Hotel is situated on the beach with lovely walks up to the Old Town only 15mins there is a free shuttle bus that goes 3 times a day.
Overall for a cheap 3* Hotel it was a great holiday and i would Return.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kate550

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

We have just returned from a "holiday" at this hotel..I will start with the good points, The views and location were lovely, rooms were clean, food seemed ok until I ate sardines and had to spend two days on the toilet unable to leave my room..Now for the downside
Entertainment or lack of it..An organist who played for two solitary dancers,,he made a good job of sending everyone to sleep..There are stairs everywhere, Unless you are very young and fit I would not advise you to book this hotel.My cousin sliped on the pool of water outside our bedroom door badly damaging her knee and leg.When it rains,which was quite often during our stay, the water pours through the cracks in the ceilings and all corridors floors and stairs are flooded, the staff lay bedding on the pools of water so this gets soaked too, there were practically no warning signs in this hotel so there was always an accident waiting to happen, There was even two steep marble steps up to main bar so guests had to cope with this too.To sum up..Would we go back to this hotel? NO,

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank damsin

Travelers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

We have stayed at the Auramar twice now once B&B and the last time all inclusive. First from an "Old person" who has a shower at least once every day I can tell you that the smell in Reception is from the cleaning fluid that the cleaners use possible bleach based. They mop the entire area every morning and as its such a large area with little ventilation this smell tends to linger around most of the day. If the "Younger" people got up a bit earlier they would have noticed this instead of passing objectionable remarks blaming older people.

Now for the Hotel, its a good place to stay for a short break clean rooms all the meals are buffet style with plenty of choice. Service is good, reception staff friendly and the Gentleman from West Africa who runs the Lobby bar does a great job never had to wait more than a few minutes for a drink..Every evening the waiter brought us two carafes of wine once he knew we wanted it, one white and one red.

Personally my only complaint was the internet access, Its 1euro for ten minutes using the computers in the lobby or 2.50euro for a card to use your own computer for 30 minutes but the WIFI is only in reception, yes "Old people" do go on Facebook.

We had every meal in the Hotel and no bad tums at all so forget all the stories of food poisoning. There is no kettle in the room so we took a travel kettle the second time.

For the price we paid it was an excellent short break.

4 Thank YorkshireShaz
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Just spent one week there 10-17 march 2011- the hotel was of a good three star standard. Location was amazing centre of all of algrave so gives you the option to visit every thing from Faro to sagres ( amazing view most furthest point west in europe ).
Beach just down some steps clean and long. Ok more on hotel- cleaned every day same time about two when we were out. Booked half board as dont see the point of rushing to hotel every time to eat when want to explore and take in culture. Breakfast was always the same but massive choice. Evening meals massive and good choice buffet style eat as much as you like. Staff were friendly- seen people say the were rude but come on you are there to enjoy a break and chill and relax not to make best friends with staff you may never see again. But ask for help they gave, asked for advice they gave needed something they provided what more you want?
Overall will go again to this place but as you only live once its the next destation.... up up and away

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank World-is-OURS
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

After reading previous reviews i must admit to having been slightly worried on arrival.especially as the smell in reception was in deed there. However from then on our stay was great. Nice clean room, no noise at night, fantastic staff and adequate food and drink.Would definately stay there again a great relaxing winter break

2 Thank GCrWales
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

Before traveling to the Auramar we read a large number of the reviews on this site. We went open minded on this trip, which was a great price mind you and wasn't expecting the greatest hotel in the world in honesty.

Firstly I will start with the smell, people complained of this smell within reception. The smell tended to get worse the more elderly people that were in there. Now I don't know if its me but I conclude the smell is them most likely from the night before where they are raving to the keyboard player cutting the shapes on the dance floor. (I have nothing against old people mind you) but they should shower after a night out. If you are young and reading this think of where's wally but more like where's the youngsters, breakfast is the best place to target your plan on who to make friends with.

Reception staff I heard were miserable. Didn't see this, I guess if you are miserable to them then they will respond in a similar manor and judging by the guests we saw within I think it must be a tough job.

Obviously this 3 star hotel is a 2 star maximum I am not too sure who rated this one but it was slightly depressing. Then again you are on holiday so why would you want to stay in the hotel? If you venture out of the hotel you will find lovely cliffs, amazing beaches and the strip/old town.

The strip was really good had a nice young lively crowd all out for a good time. I recommend wild and co for starters. There is a beautiful restaurant upstairs where the mainly rich of portugal eat, so if you are saving by staying at the Auramar I recommend a night there for some grub. They have a live band after the football and a cocktail juggler with free shots. I guess most people right now who are older are thinking that we are those ones who get drunk come back causing trouble we aren't and to be quite honest everyone everywhere within the hotel and outside are well behaved.

Rooms are basic to be quite honest, but good enough to get ready and get out! They are twin beds yet most are in Portugal the 4 star up the road was twins, I don't have a problem with this being a fan of spooning and all I had no complaints with squeezing into a single and they don't squeak.

To sum up the hotel I would say it was good value for money for sleeping, but having romantic nights in is a no. The area the hotel is set in is beautiful right on the cliffs and short walk to the beach, those saying it is hilling and loads of steps were right it is hilly as its on a cliff. Steps are a few but you should be used to it unless you live in a bungalow. Nightlife is excellent whether it be a quiet meal with the misses or finding some friends on the strip it is all easily done.

So would I recommend this? It is hard to say, for a first trip to getting to know portugal it isn't too bad, I guess it would depend on the person I am recommending it to we are easily pleased and was pleased in a way but not blown off our feet which is what you pay for. I would recommend it to those on there first stay for cheap sure. Though I believe you can get better for your money or I would next time pay the extra for a better hotel. Though I wouldn't tell people you are staying at the Auramar it just starts a big negative conversation on how (insert word) it is.

I would say if you go with good company you will have a good time, we met some great people and would do it all over again tomorrow, maybe in a different hotel though. Love you bubbaroo.

Ps. No one had a bad stomach and breakfast only was good for us.

Oh and let me add: Rooms were cleaned everyday, fresh towels, made beds apart from one where the hangover had hit and WE refused. Yep.

2 Thank MarcusRaider
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

After reading lots of very negative reviews on this hotel, i was concerned what we were letting our selves in for ! But i was pleasently suprised, yes, on arrival in the reception there was a musky smell, but, that was the only time i smelt it during our stay. Our room was nice, with a lovely view, the only thing that let it down was the bath tub, it was stained and chipped. The hotel is very clean, and maintained well, it could do with an update, in the decor sense. I found the staff friendly, and helpfull. We were all inclusive, the restaurant has lovely views over the sea, for breakfast and dinner, and lunch is in the pool bar, the food is ok, very basic, but there was allways something we liked, but we did eat out 3 nights, one was in the caffe next to the hotel, which was lovely. The indoor pool is quite small, and we didnt go in the out door pool, as was freezing, if you are planning to hit the 'GYM' then be prepaired for a room with 2 bikes and a treadmil , its not a gym at all !! The views from the hotel, are well worth the stay, and its right on the beach, which is amazing, we walked along the beach to the old town, in fact be prepaired for a lot of walking, as there are quite a lot of steps in the hotel. All in all i think the hotel is a great place to stay for a good price, we are pleased we didnt listen too much to the bad reviews, so dont be put off.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple