Alfagar Alto da Colina(Albufeira)(Great Value!)
$207
HotelsClick
Vila Joya(Gale)
$1,698
1,119 results
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I booked this hotel based on other reviews and of course good price. I completely understand that these are cheap accomodations but this was horrible. We were not expecting much but we ended up forfeiting the second night stay and got out of there. We first got there and there were two cots that were in the shape of couches. The front desk then told us to put them together ourselves. The room was so dusty that we didn't stop sneezing. There were bugs everywhere and they kept us up all night. When we got there, there was pubic hair in the sink and there was next to no hot water. The location is bad and it's about a 5-10 euro taxi ride to the strip. The beach is about a 15 minute walk away and it's uphill. Definitely not what I expected. The staff were SO RUDE and said derogatory things about us in Portuguese thinking that I couldn't understand. Overall I would never recommend this place to anyone... save yourself the trouble and pay a bit more for something not so revolting.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Heatherv21
Reviewed May 6, 2008

This hotel is great value for money. You definitely get what you pay for, so for £60 for 4 nights was a bargain.
Everything in our room worked perfectly well. we had a main living area which turned into the sleeping area at night. A kitchenette, which had a hob, microwave, fridge/freezer and fully equipped drawers full of utensils.
Bathroom was fine. Powerful shower - contant hot water.
Cleanliness was great. We had a maid everyday to clean our room and make the beds.
The location is in the old town up the hill. Not suitable for guests with walking difficulties, but fine for a stroll down the hill to the town and a bit of a hike up!
No complaints for the place, hotel and Albufeira got our thumbs up!
Would definitely return.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank SacSac
Reviewed March 17, 2008

First of all – the worst part of the holiday for us. Took nigh on 2 hours from arriving by hire car in Albufeira to finding Albufeira Jardim I (to give the Hotel/Apartments it’s proper title).

Just returned (14 March 2008) from over a week here and loved almost every minute of it, and all at a bargain price! To be fair, it is not the hotels’ fault that there are at least four hotels called Jardim in Albufeira. Probably my pig-headedness on directions and being unable to make sense of the two different map/direction printouts I had prepared. To help you to find it, you turn off the town dual carriageway by pass at the Dolphin roundabout. (Neat idea – roundabouts have different sculptural themes; huge worms in sunglasses, huge watches and dolphins).

The room we had was lovely, a little dated in fittings perhaps but made up for this by the huge size of the balcony – 8m from door to front wall. Bear in mind that the complex is spread across a hill, so steps abound. We didn’t use the swimming pool or adjacent sun loungers but guess that there were around 80-100 steps up to them. The hotel bar and restaurant was nearby so if you were a regular user then those steps again! Probably most of the rooms are above the bar/pool area so access might be different – the whole of Albufeira Old Town is made up of moderate to steep streets and steps anyway, so you are probably going to get lots of practice.

Other reviews we saw before booking mentioned the sofas in studio apartments converting to single beds– we like our comfort but found them perfectly acceptable, even exciting, finding them drifting apart during the night.

At the time of year we went we didn’t expect the town to be too busy, it’s about 0.6 kilometre to the main town area from this hotel – not too bad a step as it is downhill there. If you are none too athletic it’s a bit of a climb back, but only 4 euros for a taxi, well worth it with a belly full of dinner and beer! The strip (in the new part of town) is a little more difficult – perhaps there is a hotel bus in season, we didn’t ask nor saw one. There are buses outside the hotel – we did not use them much. Taxis are easy, prolific and fairly cheap; I think it was 6-7 euros to the strip, easier than walking right across the Old Town to the Wally Train, though this may get better when the street escalators are finished.

All in all I would readily recommend Albufeira Jardim I for a good all round inexpensive break – we all have different needs, so good luck and happy holidays!

One little tip we heard from others – all rooms have a TV but you rent the remote plus paying a deposit. Folk take a cheap universal programmable remote with them, they say …..

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosiv D
Reviewed January 6, 2008

We visited Albufeira for xmas & new year and were firstly suprised by the ease of getting there , flights with Easy Jet and car hire from Faro airport efficent and cheap. The Jardim Apts were easy to find and well located. 3 supermarkets near by, 10/15 mins walk (down hill) to beach &old town. We had 3 rooms for our party (2x1 bed & 1x2bed) all were spacious clean &comfortable. Bathrooms & kitchen a little dated but more than adequate. The star feature of our room was the view. A full view of the coast past villamora all the way to Faro,as well as Albufeira old town & beach. This is surely the best place to view the new year fireworks! The old town offers a good selection of bars, restaurants & shops and the beach is great (sunbathing on xmas day)
Overall this a great place to stay excellent value for money &highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank blackshadow
Reviewed December 9, 2007

I have stayed at The Jardim Hotel, Albufeira many times. This year I was pleased to go again, especially considering the wonderful price.

Alpharooms.com offerred £105 for a week for a studio appartment for one person. This had an ensuite bathroom with a bath tub, a short hallway and the studio room which was well sized for one person. I think the hotel's direct price is a little more expensive, but not much. Alpharooms can organise your airport transfers also, I paid just under £14 each way which I thought good value as Faro airport is nearly 2 hours by coach from Albufeira.

I have read persons describing the rooms as dated but I didn't think so at all, and I thought the room was pleasant, simple, and timeless and quite lovely. A T.V. and a radio were in the room.

This is very, very good value. The studio was very clean and had maid service. There was everything you needed to cook and eat meals. There was a good sized balcony to the studio, with great views from the tree populated Jardim Hotel's grounds to the sea, past the sloping ,old, mostly white with prominent blue splashes Albufeira town.

The hotel is quite a good three star place with very good facilities: 2 swimming pools,
a quite stylish Morrocan decorated cafe bar,
two Web network connected computers,
a restaurant beside the bar with nice international cuisine - local to pasta dishes, reasonably priced,
and a further poolside bar for the good weather,
reception with free booking service for many tours and activities, coach and boat, cycle hire, adventure options etc.
small shop which sells fruit juice cartons and bottled water and fruit and bread and what you need for cooking,
and tennis courts.

The bar was lovely and very cheap for excellent premium lager, they also serve good cider.

There is a mini-market shop just yards from the entrance to the hotel for all self-catering needs. It is quite cheap and opens quite late.

Nearby are a good number of bars and restaurants in very much a quieter quarter of Albufeira than other parts. The more popular bars and restaurants are 5 to 20 minutes walk away. The nearest beaches are around 15 minutes stroll away. One of the swimming pools is a good size for swimming lengths, the other, though I swam for quite a while in it, better for relaxing or playing in.

There is a free hotel bus to another beach.

It is nice to stay in and return to this much quieter area with a lot of space, from the built up and often crowded centre of Albuefeira. I went in early October and the centre of town was very busy in bars and restaurants. Albufeira beach was busy also, and there are other beaches to go to.

I recommend anyone staying here hire a bike (though it is not at all necessary) by asking at reception. It will be brought for you to the hotel the next day, it is very cheap, and there is no deposit required and no credit card required, as the company just takes a photocopy of your passport. The bikes are all terrain bikes and great and comfortable for riding about Albufeira or going into harder territory. There are lovely, quieter beaches around 25 to 30 minutes lazy cycle away. The Albufeira beach areas with their sandstone cliffs at the backs are lovely when not so crowded, but you seldom find this, and they aren't really an escape then.

The hotel is well situated for a nice night bar in Moorish design filled with wide couches, which opens around 9 or 10 P.M. Though I would like to have stayed the night I discovered it, I wasn't able to see for myself what the bar staff told me, that it is most popular after midnight (staying open until 3 or 4 a.m.). This bar is actually right next to a part of the hotel grounds, you can find it by going up the steps, past the swimming pools level and turning right near the tennis courts. (It can be seen above the Dolphins Roundabout outside the hotel).

I also very much recommend going to the Albufeira Marina for bars and restaurants. I really enjoyed Sharkys bar and the coffees, teas, beers and spirits I had there, though there are a number of others. And I loved an international restaurant on the Marina which I can't remember the name of, glass fronted with gorgeous food from all around the world at really good prices and lovely service. The marina is a great retreat for drinking, also eating, from the bustle of the old town areas. Boat tours leave from here. It is quite a stylish and also simple place to go out or relax in and is usually quiet also.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank factual5