“Downgraded to 3 stars after 2nd visit”
Review of Mi Sombrero

Mi Sombrero
Ranked #63 of 853 Restaurants in Albufeira
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We visited here twice during our holiday - both nights we had to queue for no longer than 5 minutes for a table for 2. Based on the first night this would have been 4 stars - I had the chicken fajitas and my husband had the beef buritto - food that night was amazing. I like that they do small Sangria which was perfect enough for me during meal. Slight lack of ambiance with no music but sometimes have the wee accordian guy out but to be honest i think the place needs its own music.
We enjoyed the food so much we came back a second night only to be dissapointed! Hubby ordered the mixed grill after seeing it looking amazing on someone elses's table but the meat was overcooked to the point of almost being burnt.
I ordered the chicken enchillada which was described as being spicy chicken wrapped in a tortilla filled with jalapenoes, salsa and cheese. When it came there was no flavour or spice to the chicken, no salsa and i found just 2 small jalapeno's in the wrap - severely tasteless and really dissapointing compared to the fajitas. Service is excellent however and was on both nights - the staff do an excellent job of looking after you and making sure you are ok.
Think this could have been either 2 stars or 4 if we had only been on one of the nights but have given it a 3 to comprimise as we did have one really good night here vs one really bad. Think it all really is down to your menu choice.....

Reviewed September 13, 2013

There was a huge queue for Mi Sombrero every night. To begin with the cocktails were delicious, had chips to start and burrito for main. It was nice but I don't think it was worth the queue, would go back for the drinks...I think the Fajita was the best..served sizziling...

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Well, the critics are certainly divided over this one... Even within our group!

My wife and I shared a plate of nachos as a starter, bog standard stuff, bit of salsa, jalapenos, cheese melted on top - at about €9 way overpriced for a plate of crisps and a bit of dollop, although I do appreciate you are paying for the terrific view if you are outside or upstairs. Unfortunately the sloped decking outside and the spiral stair case inside prevented my disabled friend from being able to take advantage of that, so we sat inside. This did have the advantage that we were not rushed out, as seems to have been the experience of others writing on here.

My veggie friends, who recommended the place from a previous visit, once again thoroughly enjoyed their vegetarian fajitas, and Mi Sombrero is to be applauded for offering non-meat eaters a couple of choices beyond salad and omelette (other Albufeira restaurants, please take note!). My wife had ribs, which were falling off the bone and in a decent enough sauce - had better, cheaper nearby - one friend had steak on a stone, which was a decent cut and a great novelty for a first time tourist, expensive for something the chef does not have to touch though (that's a little joke by the way, lest anyone should think I am being serious...).

Now to my main course, and the main reason for the two star rating. Chicken fajita. The chicken was, for want of a better word, watery? Sloppy with no discernible flavour at all, any heat was provided by a couple of whole jalapenos randomly flung in, which on their own were far too hot for my wussy palate. There was no kind of sauce on the chicken at all, it might as well have been a chicken sandwich. The rice was, once again, okay - no flavouring or even colour to it, just rice. The re-fried beans were more like thick gravy than the mushy pea like texture I would expect from re-frieds in a decent restaurant.

Service was good and attentive, wine a little expensive and the décor what you would expect. I think the toilets were up the spiral staircase, so my friend would have found it impossible to use them, but the public loos are only a short walk away, so that is not the end of the world.

This place badly needs some competition.

2  Thank Algarveaddick
Reviewed September 11, 2013

After hearing a few recommendations whilst on holiday and seeing a queue every time we passed this restaurant (plus the fact there is not many Mexican restaurants around this area) me an my partner gave it a go. We waiting around 10 mins in the queue.

Nachos to start were ok, what you would normally expect from any place so a little disappointed it didn't have something extra or something like a good salsa as could get similar nachos anywhere in most pubs.
Had enchiladas for main which was nice and a decent portion but didn't blow me away, I usually prefer a burrito which is not too much different and I get alot better at my local street markets. Partner had veg fajitas which was enjoyed, again nothing amazing.

Certainly not bad food and reasonably priced for that part of town, however i don't know what the fuss is about with some of the other reviewers on here but its personal taste.

I didn't feel rushed to leave like others although I was there quite late and no queue was there by the time we finished.

All in all an acceptable meal in a nice location.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Be prepared for a bit of a wait but worth it when you try the food. Don't bother with the nachos, they are a little dry but the mains are really good and portions are very big. Great margaritas too!