“Excellent”
Review of Tia Maria Bar & restaurant - CLOSED

Tia Maria Bar & restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Open 6 days a week Sunday to Friday from 3.00Pm serving an ever changing menu of the finest cuts of meat fresh fish and home made desserts. We cater for vegetarian and customers with dietary requests . Any menu can be created with an advance notice of 48 hours . Open for drinkers as well as dinners serving cocktails champagne sangria and fine wines. Large tables catered for . We ask that children are controlled and not allowed to run freely through the restaurant .
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

After a couple of visits I can finally say "it's the best in the area", divine food excellent smile from everyone and the efficiency of all staff makes me a very happy customer.
For starter I had prawns and no more could go in the plate, and don't forget the warm bread roll home made on the side absolutely superb, for main the Portuguese style steak with the delicious flavour and to mention the home peeled potatoes yes peeled potatoes where do you find that in any restaurant? I can only say please visit you won't regret to sit in a well decorated with great atmosphere restaurant like Tia Maria.
This restaurant brings memories back of what excellent looks like will be back all the time when in Portugal.

• Visited May 2013

Tenby, Wales, United Kingdom
“Awesome food and even better company!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

After booking a last minute holiday to Sesmarias, we were a little disappointed in the lack of immediate shops and restaurants nearby, but when we walked a bit further, we found Tia Maria.

The quality of the food was absolutely fabulous and we returned almost every night after that! Along with the fact that Graham and Jo are 2 of the nicest people you would want to meet, we would recommend Tia Maria to anyone. If you do go, ask Jo if she's made any of her orange and ginger cheese cake ;)

Ireland
“Cafe food restaurant prices”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This has been our seventh visit to the Algarve and when we arrived to our villa and were met by the rep, who talked us through the villa and area, we asked about any nice restaurants and she recommended Tia Maria about a ten minute walk away and to mention the fact that she had recommended them to ensure we received good service, so that evening we made our way there.
The first thing that struck me upon entering was the greasy smell of a well used deep fat fryer, but the place looked okay and the waitress was friendly. our party consisted of my wife, a teenager, an eight year old and a baby, we had fed the baby before hand so it was only the four of us ordering, after the drinks order was taken and delivered promptly two soft drinks for the kids two beers and a bottle of wine, we ordered the food, for starters we had Nachos with cheese, hot on the outside and cold inside,as if the cheese was frozen and just thawed by the time it came out of the oven and reached our table, and garlic bread with cheese. For mains my wife had the chicken piri piri with salad and fries, the eldest had the pizza, eight year old had bolognese, and I opted for the Tower burger with fries, in fairness they gave a good sized portion of Bolognese for the eight year old, but as for the rest of the meals it was a bit of a disaster,My wife's chicken resembled boiled chicken with bottled piri piri poured on top, burnt pizza, and half the fries looked like they had been cooked twice as they were black and no way should have made it to the table. The burger also tasted like it was reheated as it was pretty tough and for sure the bap had spent to long in the freezer and had been defrosted in the microwave as the whole top half was rock solid an inedible, for this food we paid €84,more than once in our short one week stay, we paid half this amount in local run restaurants for far superior food made with fresh produce. I would not be in a rush back and could not and would not recommend this place to anybody, avoid at all costs, over priced for what it is.

3 Thank IrelandTheOne
Preston, United Kingdom
“Not quite 4 stars!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife & I were saying with our Daughter, Son-in-law & kids in the Villa Serenity in Gale, Albufeira, Portugal. We decided to have a meal in Gale last Thursday evening 4th April 2013, so instead of driving, we could all walk, and as a result have a drink or two. We chose the Tia Maria because of the impressive menu on the wall outside, we were made welcome and tables were suitably re-arranged to give us the room. We ordered drinks, and chose our meals from the extensive menu. The place was not busy, in fact, at that point we were the only customers but it was the start of the season for the owner and he had only just re-opened.
The atmosphere was lacking any sort of spark, but again that was probably due to it being the start of the season. The owner himself was the waiter and he certainly made you feel welcome to his establishment, the food was unfortunately average with nothing to make you feel that it was specially made for you. I particularly did not like the re-fried chips that accompanied some of the meals, I had piri-piri chicken and it was obvious that the piri-piri sauce was just poured from a bottle rather than being created by the chef, my daughter started with the mussels and I have to say they were well received, but I could not pick out anything else as being exceptional. A pity really because this restaurant could be really good, but in Gale he is up against some tough competition and on my experience he is not competing.

“Cold food”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The staff were friendly and the place looked lovely but the food was awfull it was cold as soon as it as served and the childrens meals were burnt and they only orderd pizza! we were very disapionted by our vist and will not go back. What made it worse was the place was empty and they still couldnt get it right. we were the only customers that tea time.