“Excellent ”

Donaldo's
Ranked #94 of 871 Restaurants in Albufeira
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Restaurante tipico cozinha portuguesa e internacional com lareira,esplanada.
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Quality food and service. Read good reviews but I had to see for myself and I was pleasantly impressed would certainly repeat and highly recommend

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stopped in albufeira in June 2014 and ate out every night at various restaurants and have got to say that for good food this is the best we had, Donaldson is located at the bottom end of the strip, next to the roundabout, we visited on two occasions the first being " just a chance we took ", we had ate out in a couple of restaurants on the strip previously and found the food a little dissapointing, a bit like fast food so to speak, on entering Donaldos you are greeted by George, now some on here say he is too familiar and intrusive, bull####! George is one of the most friendliest guys you could wish to meet, yeah some might say over friendly, but come on, he's got a job to do and he does it perfectly, on to the food, on the first occasion my wife ordered a prawn cocktail starter whilst I had tomato soup, the soup was homemade soup and not out of a tin and was very tasty, my wife's prawn cocktail was just " wow", seen nothing like it, massive tiger prawns arranged around rim of bowl which was sat in a lager glass of red wine ( for effect only sadly), has to be seen to be believed ! For main I had lasagne which arrived steaming hot in what looked like a large terracotta bowl and it was gorgeous, my wife had Portuguese style steak which also came in a terracotta bowl and she said that she hadn't tasted a better steak in her life, I can confirm this because I nicked a couple of gobfulls for myself, to finish we both had homemade apple pie and ice cream, although this is more of a tart as opposed to your granny's apple pie it was still yummy, based on our experience we decided to visit on our last night and have to say we weren't diss appointed, if you want good food at a fair price ( admittedly a little pricier than some others ) then you won't go wrong by visiting here, as they say, you get what you pay for !

1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Booked a table on recommendation & after looking up reviews on tripadvisor. Was met by George who was accommodating & friendly. He was not over intrusive as others have found. Everyone enjoyed their meal and service was excellent. Would not hesitate to come back :)

1  Thank CHaggerty
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Visited here based on Tripadvisor reviews thinking it would be a great evening out and meal for myself and my family. All in all it was a big let down and the experience didn't reflect what I had seen written about it. Firstly, 'George', who manages front of house was over familiar and intrusive. Introducing incoming guests by their first names to other guests already seated and eating is utterly crass and, frankly, embarrassing for all. George will then continue to flit around the tables making idle conversation to diners whether they want it or not. He occasionally breaks off to take a drink from his oversized wine glass which he keeps by the front entrance and while he smokes a cigarette. If you are really lucky (like we were) you can get a good whiff of his smoke while you are trying to eat. He will then give any ladies in a party a goodbye kiss as they leave (whether they want it or not). As I said, over familiar and intrusive. As for the food it was poor. The veal was served too rare and so very chewy, the black pork was 50% fat at least (and that's being kind). Overall a dreadful experience made worse by George who seems totally preoccupied with himself rather than his (suffering) diners. Avoid.

4  Thank Chippywarner
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My adult daughter chose this restaurant due to the trip advisor reviews and numerous mentions of George. As soon as we approached the entrance we could recognise who George was. His personality and joie de vivre is out there for all to see, a true character. My daughter and I went with his menu recommendation and were not disappointed. My wife had freshly caught fish and was also very pleased.
If you want great quality food, quality and knowledgeable service and a fun front of house experience, this is the place to come.