“Poor meal and service”
Review of Royal Orchid - CLOSED

Royal Orchid
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
newcastle
“Poor meal and service”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was surprised at how poor the food and service was given some of the reviews, so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was a one-off.

We went for the special offer for two, thinking it would be good - we were wrong. It's a bit of rip off as you are limited to the dishes they decide. When the food did come it was all pretty poor and seemed to just use the same ingredients for each dish. Fairly tastless and bland, not like Thai food at all.

Probably the worse meal I had in Old Town apart from Jojos.

I found the waitress to be nonchalant and bored, she didn't really explain the menu choices very well, and seemed like she didn't want to be there.

• Visited October 2013

Dublin Ireland
“Mistake”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I went to go in to the Royal Orchid and changed my mind, as I was leaving their street representative stopped us, and asked if we wanted a table, we said no it's ok. He started telling us how good it was and the value and choice. We decided to try the place.
He brought us in and in fairness the restaurant is nice but ....,,,
We ordered their special five dishes and wine or beer for €40. The waitress was pleasant and helpful but good staff and nice surroundings are no use when the food element is wrong. I want to be fair, three of the five dishes seemed ok but the prawns was frozen and rubbery with a funny taste I tried a piece of one and it was vile. In the beef dish the meat was undercooked and had a smell, I decided to be safe and did not try it. As others seemed to be enjoying their food and drink I paid and left. Next time I know one place to AVOID.
One last point the waitress never said anything when she collected the dishes and saw two untouched.

1 Thank motorcar1
Moville, Ireland
“enjoyable meal, lovely setting”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

my sister and I had a lovely meal here, she was averse to the spicy dish she ordered and the very attentive staff saw to it that she got a new, more suitable dish for her tastebuds at no extra cost, and even made sure she drank milk to ease her discomfort!!! I on the other hand had no problems scoffing all mine! I'd recommend a meal here definitely.

• Visited September 2013
Merseyside,U.K.
“Nice ambience average food”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The restaurant itself is in a nice location and is quite different with an oriental look and feel. The staff were friendly, and the price good. The food however was just about average, nothing wrong with it, but missing the wow factor.

Visited July 2013
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
“Too many disappointments”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I didn't know about this place when I visited Albufeira so it was a pleasant surprise to find it there. As many others have said the place appears to have a lot of money spent on it and the dining area in particular looks very good as does the menu. However, Ganesh (the Hindu elephant god) statues have no place in a Thai (Buddhist) restaurant, unlike carvings of elephants from wood which were nowhere to be seen. Also the music (from some sort of Sky world service) was unlike any sort of Thai music that I've heard before. As for the food, we ordered a Mussaman curry and a red curry, both were beef and came with boiled rice.. The next mistake was when the waiter laid the table with a knife and fork. Now I've eaten in lots of Thai restaurants in London, Bangkok and Koh Samui and have never been given anything but a spoon and fork, so this was not good. Unfortunately the food was also a disappointment when it arrived too. The 'exotic vegetables' from the menu turned out to be red and green (in a red curry?) peppers and bamboo shoots. The 'finest sirloin steak' was clearly not as it was chewy and low quality, the boiled rice was sticky but otherwise alright. The Mussaman curry was better than the red curry, but I couldn't really recommend it.

I was really looking forward to having a Thai meal in Portugal, but this place despite what it looks like isn't a good place to eat. I do hope that they get it sorted as there is a lot of potential if they get some actual Thai people on board to put them right.

• Visited September 2013