“Best seafood ever!”

Os Arcos Restaurante
Ranked #16 of 855 Restaurants in Albufeira
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Normally I don't write a review just to confirm what others have said, but Os Arcos has to be an exception because it is truly exceptional! We tried to dine here last year based on TripAdvisor comments, but it was closed when we checked a few times; last week while we were 'back of the old town square', my wife looking for shoes and I for good restaurants, I noticed Os Arcos was open, so we came back today. On entry my wife was a little unsure because it is small and plain, and there was a table set for 18 which she thought might be disruptive, but I thought it was probably for business or family, and was in fact a good sign because local people ate there. The owner is indeed a gentleman, and if it is in fact his wife who does the cooking he is truly blessed. He suggested the bream, and it was without a doubt the best bream I have ever had, in Portugal or anywhere else. My wife's chicken with mushrooms was also wonderful. As for the service, we were very well looked after but were on our own in the restaurant while he got ready for the party of 18, so I have no way to judge how he would handle a full house in the evening, but we did not travel all the way here from Canada to eat bangers and mash on the square, or get fast food at McDonald's, so are prepared to linger over a glass of wine while a professional cook and server take the time to get our food right! A wonderful experience which we will repeat whenever we can.

1  Thank BrightonGreg

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We ate here 4 times out of an 11 night stay. Our first night out we wandered up and down the side streets looking for somewhere to eat, and were beckoned in by 2 couples sitting at the window seat who said 'you won't eat better in all of Albufeira'. They were right. The seafood is sublime, we had the seabass (twice), you get to choose your own fish and the amazing owner/manager/waiter (what a guy!) fillets it at the table (without leaving a single bone in the fish). The local dish of cataplana (pork with clams) was beautiful too. Thinks it's the owners wife who cooks, and she doesn't cut corners.

The service is not quick, however this is a small family run business, in the middle of the worst recession for 30 years, so cut them some slack for doing things properly. I'd rather have food cooked perfecly and lovingly being served an hour after I arrive, rather than shoddily 15 minutes after I've sat down, for that type of service stick to the old town square.

We will be back in Albufeira, and this will be the first place we visit.

3  Thank Jeanie_Douglas
Reviewed January 12, 2013

What a fantastic restaurant. Found it through Tripadvisor, we went back a second time in 3 days, and wish we could have gone more. When we turned up, there was no-one in there, and it looks a little average from the outside, however, the owner is simply wonderful, and the food is divine.
The steak Portugese is incredible, but the fresh fish!!! They bring it out on a platter for you to look at and choose one, and then it is brought out cooked whole before being filleted at the table. We were with real fish lovers and they were raving about how good it was. A great, friendly atmosphere, and wonderful food. On the second night when we brought friends back, it was raining so hard at the end of our meal, and the owner wanted to walk us to the taxi rank with his umbrella because we didn't have one. Lovely lovely man.
If we return to Albufeira, this is the first place we would go. You MUST try it!!!!! Great experience. We very much enjoyed a romantic meal as a couple, then a meal with our friends also. It fits both very well.

4  Thank bikesrule
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We ate here 4 times whist on holiday. This is a traditional restaurant. You may have to wait a while for your food if they are full but it's worth the wait.

1  Thank Chaz_19
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Best (and biggest) fillet steak I have ever eaten!
We discovered this lovely restaurant on the first of two group holiday in Albufiera - we were a party of eight and so were unable to get a table at short notice in this small family run restaurant but we booked for the following night - we were not disappointed and returned again during that holiday as well as going back on our second trip to Portugal 3 years later.
Definitely worth a visit but bear in mind that there may be a wait as the restaurant runs on very few staff (that would be my only criticism and perhaps the owner should consider hiring someone to wait on table).

1  Thank Lulu258