This hotel is very good, but should be excellent!
The staff are mostly very friendly, genuine, and really helpful. It is modern, spotlessly clean, and very well laid out right across the complex. We had a 2 bed family apartment which could easily have slept six it was so big. Even the balcony was huge. It faced onto a building site, but it didn't take away from it at all. The beds were also reasonably soft and comfortable.
In terms of price they are not the cheapest apartments, but they do represent value for money!
However, the hotel falls down very badly in several areas; The first being their Food: We ate in all of the bars and the hotel restaurant, and the only way to describe the food is APPALLING! The quality is so bad, mainly it feels based on the ingredients used. Whether it was a snack from the bars, buffet dinner or breakfast (each with a very poor selection), everything was bland at best, but bordering closer to inedible. This is a 4* hotel, charging 4* prices for food one would expect from a 1/2* establishment! When you check in there is a dinner special offer, DON'T GET SUCKERED IN!!!!
The night time entertainment also leaves a lot to be desired. Glorified Karaoke at best. It wouldn't encourage you to relax for the evening in the hotel bar!
The annoying charges: Every room has a safe. If you want it for the week, there is a charge! If you want broadband in your apartment, there is a charge (but you can only use one device at a time!)! If you want a second room key (as most families do) there is a charge. Whilst the charges are not high, it is annoying that they are there because as stated earlier, the hotel is not the cheapest! Some things you just expects as a matter of course in a 4*.
No kids club! This is a family focused hotel, yet there is no kids club! So if you're hoping for a couple of hours away from the kids each day, forget it!
If the food was good and offered value, and if there was a bit more effort put into the night time entertainment, we would probably have hardly left the complex (and neither would many other guests I suspect). So whilst we will definitely go back to Portugal and this area, we will probably investigate other hotels first. Had Alfagar lived up to the potential it has, that would not be the case.
P.S. - If you have small kids, bear in mind that the walk into the strip with the restaurants is about 20 to 25 minutes each way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Alfagar II Aparthotel has an unbeatable location overlooking the sea. Together with the Alfagar village, set in a beautiful 11 ha property of gardens and cliff formations (a protected area of natural beauty), with spectacular views along the coastline. Situated in the center of the Algarve, in Balaia area just between the villages of Albufeira and Olhos de Água. Composed of 90 modern, comfortable apartments in a modern 5-storey building. Alfagar II Aparthotel is ideal for families, with his wide range of facilities, such as a children’s pool with slides and splash area, and for all those seeking a quality holiday in a quiet setting, while remaining within easy reach of shops and lively night entertainment ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Alfagar II Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alfagar Ii Aparthotel Hotel Albufeira
- Alfagar II Aparthotel Albufeira, Portugal - Algarve