We (family of four with two teenage kids) stayed at the Alfagar I Apartments - the older complex - on a 10 day self-catering holiday from the end of October to beginning of November 2012. We picked the Alfagar based on reviews and price, and we were not disappointed. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, getting us into our room several hours early when we arrived ahead of schedule. The apartment was a two bedroom sea view and was pretty perfect, with a spacious living-dining room and small, but more than adequate, kitchen. Small quibbles would be dust in the far reaches of cupboards/draws and no mugs for tea and coffee, but this really would be nit-picking. We opted for self-catering but had the hotel breakfast buffet most mornings - lovely food and great price at just 8.50 Euros (4.50 Euros for kids). We ate dinner in the Alfager I buffet restaurant once and while it was good, there are far better restaurants around (and at 17.50 Euros a head without drinks it turned out our most expensive meal!)
The kids loved the three outdoor pools, the indoor pool and the beach, accessed via steps leading down from the cliff-top, was beautiful. Directly below the hotel are two little alcoves before the main beach strip and this is where we spent most days.
The supermarket within the grounds isn't as badly priced as some have suggested, though there are better prices and a wider range available at the larger supermarkets.
The small cafe-bar served wonderful milkshakes and had entertainment every night, even this late into the season. The kids Karaoked and Dad got to watch some live football on Sky!
We found all the staff to be courteous, helpful and friendly, especially at breakfast and in the cafe-bar.
The location is excellent as well, with the more touristy 'strip' just a 10 minute walk away, and the Old Town a short car, taxi or bus journey. In the other direction there are more resorts worth a visit. The Old Town offered a good combination of lovely restaurants, souvenir shops, pubs and cafes and felt very safe and inviting, especially for families. Olhos De Agua and Villamoura are both worth a visit as well.
All in all the Alfagar provided a superb base for our first vsit to the Algarve, managing to feel like a home-from-home in a very short space of time. We will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Alfagar II Aparthotel has an unbeatable location overlooking the sea. Together with the Alfagar village, set in a beautiful 11 ha property of gardens and cliff formations (a protected area of natural beauty), with spectacular views along the coastline. Situated in the center of the Algarve, in Balaia area just between the villages of Albufeira and Olhos de Água. Composed of 90 modern, comfortable apartments in a modern 5-storey building. Alfagar II Aparthotel is ideal for families, with his wide range of facilities, such as a children’s pool with slides and splash area, and for all those seeking a quality holiday in a quiet setting, while remaining within easy reach of shops and lively night entertainment ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Otel, Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Alfagar II Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alfagar Ii Aparthotel Hotel Albufeira
- Alfagar II Aparthotel Albufeira, Portugal - Algarve