We visited the Alfargar 2 in June this year with a 3-yr old and an infant. The first thing that one needs to bear in mind re the Alfargar 2 is that it was built as a set of self-catering apartments, and has only recently moved to providing all-inclusive. This has been reflected in the review scores(scored like a good self-catering apartment) but I will point out a few issues for the benefit of the readers eventhough I haven't marked the scores down based on those issues because I have reviewed this as a self-catering accommodation.
Our first impression of the place was somewhat tarnished the minute when we arrived in the evening(9pm as flight was delayed) expecting hotel-styled service, only to be met with staff watching us struggle with our luggage and 2 young children. Nobody offered to help. Check in went without a glitch, and we were offered some bread, ham and fruits at the restaurant for our dinner (as we were all-inclusive) as the restaurant had technically shut for dinner by then. Not a problem, we were grateful nonetheless as we could have been left stranded in a new place with no food and 2 young children because our flight was delayed. However, the first thing that struck me was the size of the drinks. I asked for water and was given a water-cooler sized cup of water. And the all-inclusive rules state that you can't order more than 1 drink at a time. As we were very thirsty from our flight, we had to keep asking the waitress to bring us water. Because of that, we probably didn't have enough water as we should. So just before we went to bed, my husband went to track down some water again in the hope that there might be a shop or a water cooler. Ended up asking one of the staff, only to be told,"You do realise all-inclusive ends at 10pm," but was given some water reluctantly. We would have gladly paid for a big bottle of water if there was actually somewhere to buy it from that time of night!
The rest of the week went well. Food was tasty, but my husband had a stomach upset on day-3 which lasted the entire stay. And we didn't eat anything from outside the hotel as we stayed in all week.
There are NO beach towels provided, so bring your own. Towels in the room are changed every other day(3 times for a 7-night stay). Minimal toiletries provided, so bring your own.
Rooms are very big as they were designed to be self-catered. The standard of cleanliness is very,very good in the rooms as well as around the hotel.
You have to walk down some steps built onto a cliff/very steep hill to get to the beach, but we were told there is another way but the alternative route takes a bit longer. The better part of the beach is actually the part behind the neighbouring hotel. The part directly behind the Alfargar is very rocky. Although it's not a problem as it's only a small walk away.
Would I go again? If we were ever looking for a good-value break with immaculately clean accommodation and good food, it would be the Alfargar 2 in a heart-beat. But we will come better prepared with bottled water for the first night, beach towels and toiletries.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Alfagar II Aparthotel has an unbeatable location overlooking the sea. Together with the Alfagar village, set in a beautiful 11 ha property of gardens and cliff formations (a protected area of natural beauty), with spectacular views along the coastline. Situated in the center of the Algarve, in Balaia area just between the villages of Albufeira and Olhos de Água. Composed of 90 modern, comfortable apartments in a modern 5-storey building. Alfagar II Aparthotel is ideal for families, with his wide range of facilities, such as a children’s pool with slides and splash area, and for all those seeking a quality holiday in a quiet setting, while remaining within easy reach of shops and lively night entertainment ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Agoda, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Alfagar II Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alfagar Ii Aparthotel Hotel Albufeira
- Alfagar II Aparthotel Albufeira, Portugal - Algarve