“Great for families”

Ranked #12 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
London
“Great for families”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We visited the Alfargar 2 in June this year with a 3-yr old and an infant. The first thing that one needs to bear in mind re the Alfargar 2 is that it was built as a set of self-catering apartments, and has only recently moved to providing all-inclusive. This has been reflected in the review scores(scored like a good self-catering apartment) but I will point out a few issues for the benefit of the readers eventhough I haven't marked the scores down based on those issues because I have reviewed this as a self-catering accommodation.

Our first impression of the place was somewhat tarnished the minute when we arrived in the evening(9pm as flight was delayed) expecting hotel-styled service, only to be met with staff watching us struggle with our luggage and 2 young children. Nobody offered to help. Check in went without a glitch, and we were offered some bread, ham and fruits at the restaurant for our dinner (as we were all-inclusive) as the restaurant had technically shut for dinner by then. Not a problem, we were grateful nonetheless as we could have been left stranded in a new place with no food and 2 young children because our flight was delayed. However, the first thing that struck me was the size of the drinks. I asked for water and was given a water-cooler sized cup of water. And the all-inclusive rules state that you can't order more than 1 drink at a time. As we were very thirsty from our flight, we had to keep asking the waitress to bring us water. Because of that, we probably didn't have enough water as we should. So just before we went to bed, my husband went to track down some water again in the hope that there might be a shop or a water cooler. Ended up asking one of the staff, only to be told,"You do realise all-inclusive ends at 10pm," but was given some water reluctantly. We would have gladly paid for a big bottle of water if there was actually somewhere to buy it from that time of night!

The rest of the week went well. Food was tasty, but my husband had a stomach upset on day-3 which lasted the entire stay. And we didn't eat anything from outside the hotel as we stayed in all week.

There are NO beach towels provided, so bring your own. Towels in the room are changed every other day(3 times for a 7-night stay). Minimal toiletries provided, so bring your own.

Rooms are very big as they were designed to be self-catered. The standard of cleanliness is very,very good in the rooms as well as around the hotel.

You have to walk down some steps built onto a cliff/very steep hill to get to the beach, but we were told there is another way but the alternative route takes a bit longer. The better part of the beach is actually the part behind the neighbouring hotel. The part directly behind the Alfargar is very rocky. Although it's not a problem as it's only a small walk away.

Would I go again? If we were ever looking for a good-value break with immaculately clean accommodation and good food, it would be the Alfargar 2 in a heart-beat. But we will come better prepared with bottled water for the first night, beach towels and toiletries.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Ixxy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Having read previous reports we knew just what to expect. The rooms were very spacious and modern. Large balcony with recliners and table and chairs. Easy to pull out bed under sofa and the other bed on the large sofa. Great shower & spacious bathroom.

We were all inclusive and food was plentiful either in the buffet style restaurant or in the pool side Cabana Bar. Limited to what could have at the Cabana Bar and didn't get the trimmings however the buffet was the place to get all the trimmings if you didn't just want a snack.
Could eat all day if you wanted to and drinks available most of the day. All inclusive drinks in Red Bar stopped at 11pm.

Night time entertainment left a bit to be desired, which meant children tend to run around with there new friends keeping themselves entertained.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Isobella the waitress in the Restaurant looked after us in the restaurant always smiling and attentive and ready to bring my favourite drink each evening.

The Kids club ladies were great and although it was quite quiet with it not being in the main holidays, they made things fun and entertaining for both Dan my 5 year old and Tom my 11 year old. Thanks to Lucky Lauren and Fay Ray for making their time there special. Some sessions were payable and all age ranges to could attend on an evening which was great for some parent 'us time' and then separate age groups in the day time. Lovely air conditioned room made interesting for each theme of the day by Lucky Laurens artistic talents.

24 hour reception with friendly staff. We had to get the doctor out for our son and they sorted that out although it cost us 150 euro.s which hoping can claim back. Chemists can help with most things if not wanting hefty bills from doctors. !!

Pools great if bit chilly in morning until got really hot in afternoon. Indoor pool nice warmer alternative.

Went to Zoomarine day trip and our son swam with dolphins which was amazing. Great day out. Also went on a Catamaran day trip which was wonderful and good value for money.

Think hotel struggling with the all inclusive option and heard may pull out of it next year. Did feel like slightly second class citizen s for being all inclusive.

On the whole we all had a fabulous time and the staff, especially Carlos were very hard working however they all remained polite and friendly at all times.

2 Thank jim_stone
ireland
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Cannot fault the apartments, great space and really nice decor. pools are lovely and there was no problem with sun beds. my only problem was it is about a 15min walk to the strip and the beach is a bit of a trek aswell. we did'nt mind the walk but anyone with small kids would. there are mini supermarkets on the complex but u can get a taxi to the mondello shopping centre which costs about 4euro, well worth going as its a very big supermarket. A taxi to old town is about 5euro and well worth it, we loved it there and the beach is fab.

2 Thank bubbels
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Just returned a few days ago had a great time, a little remote but taxi's available unless u like a little walk found it a bit tough with 2 little ones in the heat, but we stayed on the complex for most of our holiday which suited us ,had everything we had hoped for being our first all inclusive, food was good and the kids had a good selection which i sometimes went for, always something available u wouldn't starve!! some days better than others, theme nights of food so bit tough if you didnt like that kind, sometimes found food didnt stay hot enough but it was always being replenished, lots of fruit and deserts were ok
I read reviews before i went but i always think everyone expectations are different so go with a open mind yes there is a few things i agree with other peoples reviews such as needs more staff serving at red bar & pool bar as only 1 person on each for that amount of people staying so that needs changing, limited cocktails bit of a let down so expensive to buy real deal at 7euros each, local house wines and local beer only which i can only assume this is the same everywhere as ive never done all inclusive before, all inclusive stops at 11 and bar closes at 12 so suitable for family only as you would have to walk or taxi to somewhere else
Entertainment wasnt great i must admit, i think the area they did the entertainment in wasnt thought out properly they do it in a little corner so they are on the same level as you bit hard to see over everyones heads, they could of done with a little stage to perform on.
Rooms are amazing we were so happy had everything you could of ask for and so modern looking, balcony are huge with sun loungers as well shame the sun could get on the balcony of our room as it was a brick balcony up to my chest , only a few rooms have glass balcony's so u can see what going on, some people might like this for privacy but i found this quite annoying with kids as they couldnt see what was going on as we had a pool and sea view so had to keep picking them up
Unfortunately we were above the entertainment area on 3rd level so quite noisy for kids at bed time..beware..
Pools were amazing couldn't get the kids out best i ever been too, 3 pools altogether,splash pool was brilliant for the kids, water still abit cold for beginning of july but i sure it will warm up by summer hols,
Weather was very good not 1 bad day, a bit chilly in the evenings quite windy through our stay didnt need our air con on had our balcony door open let in quite a breeze, but did get bit a few times!!
There is a supermarket on alfagar 1 complex but we used the one across the road in front of the hotel but it was expensive thank god we were all inclusive only brought drinks for the room
Very clean hotel maids did a brilliant job and so nice aswell, rooms were cleaned most days
Staff were great very friendly didnt have a problem with any of them very good with the kids

Has a indoor pool, sauna and steam room which was brilliant!!

Kids Club hut and playground on site

We would definately go back to this hotel as it catered for all our needs and that what a holiday is all about, kids were happy we were happy!!

Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Rooms near bar area very noisy avoid if possible..
9 Thank Sonya79_11
Glasgow
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed in Alfagar 1 in 2009 and had a lovely time. Our holiday in June/July of this year was the first time we were taking my husband's 8 year old daughter abroad, indeed it was the first time she'd been abroad so we chose to take her somewhere we knew would be safe and suitable for her.

The Alfagar 2 is lovely. Very modern, very clean. The rooms/apartments in the Alfagar 2 are in a different league to the old Alfagar 1 apartments. They are huge for standard holiday apartments, decorated in a fresh, modern style (not a grotty patterned throw in sight, thankfully), immaculate and fully equipped. The balcony was also huge with a nice table and chairs plus a couple of sun loungers and still plenty of space left over. The rooms also had good air conditioning. We did have a couple of occasions when we couldn't get the AC to work properly but a quick trip to reception and it was sorted immediately. There was also lots of space for clothes etc in the wardrobes and drawers which is great as I cannot abide living out of a suitcase. The room was cleaned 6 of the 7 days we were there, towels changed every other day.

The food was not bad. Buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you're an adventurous eater such as myself there was lots of choice, however, my fussy husband and step-daughter found they were eating the same things almost every day. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful. We only used the snack bar once (other than for drinks) as we were all full enough from our meals.

The grounds and pool area around the Alfagar 1 and 2 are very well maintained and attractive. Lots of pretty landscaping. The pool areas were very clean and we saw cleaning staff throughout the day keeping it that way. My step-daughter loved the kids pool which had a variety of slides and splash items - I also went down the slides a fair few times (to keep her company of course) and they were pretty fun! There was lifeguard on duty at the kids pool on at the top of the biggest slide for most of the day every day.

The bar and entertainment in the evening were not up the same the standard as the rest of the hotel. The bar was grossly understaffed and queues were quite long. The entertainment was not the best (other than the man with the parrot show which was fab - although 10 euros for a photo of the kid with a parrot was a bit steep in my opinion).

The AI package was nothing like any AI package we've had before. Price-wise the holiday was comparable with the holidays we've taken to the Dominican Rep but there all inclusive means all inclusive. Here, the drinks and snack menus, while satisfactory, were rather limited.

In terms of location, this hotel was excellent for us. A short walk (15 minutes) takes you into Albufiera so you're close but not too close. The beach was lovely, although the trek down is not for anyone with mobility problems as there are a lot of stairs.

Overall the hotel was excellent and, if it weren't for the downside (which I will come to shortly) I wouldn't hesitate to return.

The downside - the parents who seem to think it is acceptable to let their children run wild just because they're on holiday. Now, as I've said, this is the first time my husband and I had taken my step-daughter away. We do tend to travel out with school holiday periods to avoid lots of rowdy children but considering we had a child with us ourselves we did go with an open mind and an intention to more tolerant of the noise etc that comes with kids...

I cannot describe the riots that occurred on a nightly basis at the bar. Hoards of kids just belting around unsupervised and unchecked by their less than attentive parents. All three of my party were almost knocked off our feet on several occasions by kids physically running into us. It was an utter disgrace. My 8 year old step-daughter was even horrified at the behaviour of children of around her own age and younger. On little "darling" (who must've been all of about 3 or 4 years old) even chucked a "Caution - Wet Foor" sign down a flight of stairs!

The pool was generally not so bad as we positioned ourselves away from the kids pool with the slides. However, on our last day we were repeatedly soaked by another little "darling" with some sort of water cannon who's parents just watched him do it! Horrendous.

In summary, this is a lovely hotel. If you don't mind unruly children then I would recommend it at any time of year, however, as someone with a low tolerance of lack of supervision and discipline of vile little brats I would only return again completely out with the school summer holidays. We went in October last time and it was lovely and peaceful.

We did on the whole have a really lovely holiday. It would've been almost perfect had some parents given a little more care and consideration as to how their children were behaving.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar area.
5 Thank Littlemissoolia
London, UK
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Personally, I had a really excellent holiday at Alfagar II, because it addressed all my needs, but this is not a place that would suit everyone.
First, the positives: the grounds are outstanding. The grounds and garden design of the Alfagar I and II that are joined together is aspiring to 5 stars. Plenty of facilities, pools, deckchairs, kids playgrounds for everybody. In mid-June still a possibility to find a deckchair in early afternoon at the main pool and more choice at Alfagar I facilities. Fantastic viewpoint of the two local beaches and the surrounding area. I walked to both beaches and I found the walk manageable even though pushing a very heavy child on a stroller. Both beaches have very good sand for sand castles and this is what counted! The hotel is away from the center and perhaps suits best to families and people who would prefer staying away from the hustle of the town. The aparthotel itself is well designed and due to its relatively young age still in a very good shape. Large rooms, fantastic balconies. As this is an aparthotel, the rooms are actually fully equipped large apartments. Excellent air-conditioning, very efficient and quiet. Decent beds. Good maids service. Now, first few buts….I would expect in such a type of a 4 star establishment a sort of liquid shower&hair shampoo built-in container by the basin and inside the bath/shower rather than two small bars of soap. Not that I would necessarily used it having my cosmetics with me, but soap bars are a sort of 3 star service. Some unlucky guest can get a view of a half-built hotel construction across the road. Those who would like a piece and quiet can be disturbed by the fact the night entertainment (11PM finish) is on the bar patio echoing to all rooms in the adjacent wings. There is a remedy though of closing doors and putting the air-con on. It can also save few occasional bites from ever vigilant mosquitoes. Overall, this was the best apartment I have ever stayed in. Staff is very stretched, but extremely efficient and very polite. Sometimes struggling with English a little bit, but once the point is made, any issue is quickly sorted. Let’s hope the staff energy remains same until the end of season. Food is average 4 star. No major complaints. There were hits and misses though. Few meals were first class. But, I also had un-boiled rice and not well cooked potatoes. Presentation only fair, specially the hot buffet was confused with one vegetable dish at one end and another at the other end, same for meat dishes. Perhaps this was a strategy, but not working for me. Breakfast dishes lacked covers and hence almost everything was lukewarm. Overall, very tasty food, plenty choices, well balanced, mostly fantastic vegetables and fish meals. A big complaint about drinks. I am a wine-drinker and the only one I was able to manage to drink was the white wine. Red and rose were very unpalatable. Not a big loss, given the local shop prices and me not drinking much, but surprising for a 4 star establishment. The range and quality of snacks was excellent compared to other all-inclusive packages I have submitted myself to. Somebody earlier complained that the snacks were not as good as the paid meals at the bar. Well, a little bit of improvisation with the all-inclusive menu, for example choosing a pizza and a salad was able to get almost the same result. Optically, I agree that it was a bit weird to have a difference between AI and paid for, but I did not care. The snacks were good. The hotel mainly caters for Dutch and British guests. I did not join the evening entertainment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the nearby constru
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Hana_Ickeham
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Well we got of to a bad start, as we were to be staying in old Alfagar apts as we have 4 times in the past & love it, but the 1st apt was in a very bad state ( not having been refurbished yet).We went to reception & right away we were offered another room(I think it helped that we had been before!!) we accepted the other room & then later that night found cockroaches, again right away, upgraded to Alfagar2.
Reception staff were great , nothing too much bother.New apt was great, hubby loved the air-con & it was well laid out & had all mod cons.
Maids were not as good as in previous years we found, public areas were spotless, but although rooms were not dirty, they could have been cleaned better & sheets weren't changed twice, small gripe.
Only ate in main resturant once, not impressed, variety & value not up to much, nothing against Carlos who is fab!
Ricardo in the red bar is lovely, but was all very quiet, focus was on A.I & they went to bed when free drink ended, suited us though.
Old bar was more our scene, Manuel & staff very nice, snacks good & Karaoke a laugh ( although rubbish in main hotel?)
Old town is the best, strip is pretty awful now, avoid EL-RANCHO near the bottom of the strip, awful service & I got food poisoning.
We are avid fans of Algarve & Alfagar & will return, despite the odd problem, some things can happen anywhere, although we wouldn't fancy it in high season.
(Oh, the algarve is really feeling the pinch this year, lots of places shutting down sorry to say)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family