“Very good but”

Vila Sao Vicente Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Albufeira B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Good location as it is 5 minutes to the noisy center. Breakfast and service was great. As negatives, it was the first time to be asked to pay for beach towels cleaning every day and to pay wireless when it was available mainly only in public areas in the hotel. Even it was nothing, almost 150$ per night should be enough. Parking is not easy but you can find on the street next to hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank drizz12

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Vila Sao Vicente for a week in July. It was peak season and the hotel was quite busy which didn't impact on us too much.
I read another review about the number of sun loungers available (about 12 for 20 plus rooms) but we didn't struggle and there where some free most days - although quite rightly, towels are removed by the management so they can't be reserved.
I was disappointed to find there is no wifi in the rooms. It is only available in reception and guests are charged €5 for the privilege which is a bit steep when the room was €155 per night.
There was no fridge or tea/ coffee making facilities in the room. The general hotel information is lacking. Everything is a big trial and error. We got put right a couple of times by the staff but this could have been avoided if it was in a folder in the room.
Breakfast was basic and continental and not great value fork money; 2 cereals, rock solid croissant, sporadic toast appearances but plenty of fresh fruit and cheese etc. Don't expect a cooked option or omelette for an extra charge.
Lunch by the pool during the day was nice and we did that most days.
The location was perfect for us as it is away from the main part of the town (which is a bit tacky and full of bars and souvenir shops). The old town end is much quieter and the hotel is close to a public lift which goes down to the beach. I was 6 months pregnant when we stayed there so didn't venture very far.
It was a nice relaxing break but not worth £1000 for a week. I have stayed in some true boutique hotels and while it wasn't unpleasant, I wouldn't describe it as boutique.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank MissDevonBadger
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked 2 months in advance based on excellent reviews. We got a sea view room and the view was stunning. Room was clean but bed was hard and not very comfortable. Always had to request soap as they never seemed to restock anything but towels. Breakfast was good but seemed quite busy and never really managed to get a sea view while having our meal. Also, sunbeds by the pool always seemed to be reserved and we never had the chance to use them even though we were there for 2 weeks. We had to pay extra for wi fi and could only be used in lobby of hotel so that was very inconvenient. Very quaint hotel located in a good area, close to everything but not loud like the hotels in the centre. Domingues was extremely helpful with any questions that we had in regards to travelling to other parts of town. Overrall our experience was a good one but the price seemed a little on the high side.

Room Tip: Try to get room on second floor and sea view is the way to go.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We reserved for 2 nights. The hotel spot is nice. But the room was downstairs. The whole night came extreem loud people home. The bed was 190 cm! Extreem hard. Pillow was 1 flat Thing. Bathroom was not clean And extreem small And impossible. We left after one night And then They do difficult after partial payment for the other night.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Remco1965
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hi this was the first of several summer breaks planned. I was joining a group of friend that had already booked. As an eternal pessimist and because I did not choose the hotel was not expecting the greatest.

This is a lovely hotel located in Old Town close enough to the action but not in the middle. There service was fab, the proper continental breakfast was fab...just fabulous. It was sooo nice to have breakfast at the poolside. So close to the each left that takes you to the beach where you can rent a beach chair for 10 euro a day and a professional massage for 28 euro. Great local restaurants three minutes await and the strip is about a ten minutes away.

A minute off my love fest - the room are well decorated and the air con works well. The staff are friendly and take on many roles but carries them out well. Breakfast was lovely...small coffee cup but I sorted it by buying a mug at a shop...oops breakfast is self service. Went to fatima which was a very early start. The front desk organised a most impressive breakfast tray that I collected when I got back from dinner for the next morning.

My room did not come with a fridge and I emailed them to request one...the sorted me out. They organised my airport and excursion - all fab. Albuferia and Vila Sao Vicente truly are remarkable

First time ever in Portugal...I'm in love.

Room Tip: Speak to the owner or front desk staff prior to arrival. Answer all email and they really do try to...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank OntheroadagainUK
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is run by nice people and they have a very nice and clean facility. We paid €115 per night for the sea-view rooms with breakfast included. The beds were comfy, the bathrooms nice and the digital tv actually allowed you to switch the language to English. The breakfast was continental with the addition of boiled eggs. There were cold meats, cereals, yogurts, and breads and rolls (sometimes not so fresh). The coffee and service was good. Personally I believe that all but the cheapest hotels should provide hi speed internet service in the rooms. This hotel has service in the lobby only and even that had to be purchased. It seems the more I pay for a hotel the less likely they are to provide me with a free hookup in my room so I can relax and watch a video of my choosing on my ipad. Thousands of hotels in the €50 price range provide this. When I check into a hotel and they don´t it feels like renting a car and hearing ¨the wheels cost extra¨. When paying nearly $150 for a room wifi must be included and the breakfast really should have hot meats and scrambled eggs at the very least. From now on I will find out and simply not stay where they do not provide free wifi in the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John C
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived not knowing what to expect from this highly rated Hotel. I have to say we had a wonderful experience from the moment we were booked in by very pleasant staff until we were booked out. It definitely is worth paying extra for a sea view room, with wonderful views all along the coast from your balcony. The rooms are spotlessly clean and have everything that you require with the exception of a bath. It was certainly a surprise to have the use of a safe in the room, something that smaller Hotels are not renowned for! Breakfast is a great experience, it is difficult to think of anything else that the Hotel could put out that wasn't already there, you only had to ask and it was supplied, with everything being replenished instantly and your plates collected almost as soon as you had finished! You have a choice of enjoying your breakfast inside or outside, however, there is limited shade outside so most people chose to eat in. Having said that you are only two steps from the pool even if you take the inside option. The air conditioning in Hotel was efficient and quiet - a real bonus! You might suffer not having much hot water in the morning, but this seemed to be a local fault which was in the process of being rectified during our stay this was mentioned and were convinced that the problem was being worked on - these things do happen! The Hotel is wonderfully situated for both the old town and the beach. Most people were walking past a lovely little bar called "Merlins bar" situated on the corner of the road having turned right out of the Hotel, wonderful atmosphere and lovely inside. The swimming pool is really good but as previously mentioned not too many sun beds, but hey, this is a small Hotel and what it does it does wonderfully well!! Thank you for a wonderful long weekend break, we loved it!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the sea view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends