“Great local quisine with friendly staff.”
Review of O Alentejano

O Alentejano
Ranked #335 of 838 Restaurants in Albufeira
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Had a great meal with fresh ingredients and good portions. Very friendly staff and owner. Always busy with locals and tourists. A good sign. For something off the busy square, this place is a must.

There are newer reviews for O Alentejano

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We have eaten at the small Portuguese cafe in the Old Town on a few occasions. The food is tasty & the Cafe is used by lots of locals. They do a typical Portuguese stew on a Thurs & the cafe is really busy when this is on the menu. The have a range of dishes and the prices are very reasonable. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at O Alentejano in Albufeira and both our meals were delicious. I had Bife a Casa, it was served to me sizzling hot in the dish with homemade potato chip slices. The sauce was so good. My husband had grilled tuna steak and it was equally delicious. I tried some of his tuna steak and it was the best I have tasted so far.
For dessert, we had the almond tart, it was to die for. I wish I could get the recipe for the dessert.
If you are in Albufeira, you have to try this restaurant. They are off the beaten path so you may have to ask the tourist office where to find them. This restaurant was recommended to us by a local shopkeeper.

1  Thank Deborah D
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We visited O Alentejano for lunch during a day trip to Albufeira, the restaurant is situated in a small side street just off of the main square in the Old Town.
On the day we were there, there was the choice of 5 or 6 main meals for 5 euros, which included the Portuguese Stew which we both had.
The portions were a good size and more importantly, the quality was great, including different pieces of meat, potatoes and cabbage.
I would recommend O Alentejano as a lunchtime visit, but would advise people that before the meal, breads, olives and carrots are brought to the table (couvert) as a starter. These are added to the bill, even though you do not ask for them. With this in mind, if you do not want them, tell the waiter when he brings them over and he will take them away again.

1  Thank Attews
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Over 14 nights this restaurant was the worst meal. Situated just off the square so a quieter location. I ordered squid ( which I have eaten many times ) it was served with boiled potatoes and a small salad. The squid was cooked well but doused in olive oil, these weren't swimming in o/oil they were drowning in it and I do like o/oil just not that much. I drained the squid as much as I could and when asked at the end if I had enjoyed my meal I commented on how much oil had been used. I was told by the owner that if I wanted to eat tourist food then go to the square. Obviously as bad night for him, if that was constructive criticism then I wouldn't like to see his reaction to a complaint. There are many lovely authentic Portuguese restaurant to chose from I would recommend you choose a different one.