“Well Located Clean & Friendly Hotel”

Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa
Ranked #28 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Cavan, Ireland
“Well Located Clean & Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband & I stayed for 10 days in May at this hotel & enjoyed our stay. Our room was very clean with fresh towels every day. We requested a pool view but we did not get one & our room was facing out onto the busy road, this is the only real complaint I would have about the hotel, if staying in this hotel insist on a room with a pool view as we found our room to be very noisey & if you are a light sleeper you will not enjoy your rest as buses are going from early morning outside the hotel. We loved the location of the hotel as it was just 5 min walking distance to the Old Town & about 10 -15 min walk to New Town (Strip) so we had the best of both. We found all hotel staff to be very friendly except for one waiter in the restaurant & the reception staff were very helpful & had a good sense of humour. We stayed on a B&B basis & would recommend this as there are so many delicious places to eat in Albufeira for example La Barca (Italian restaurant in Old Town), Clay Ovan (Indian restaurant on way to New Strip & a must for Indian lovers), Costa Rica (Good for fish, located in New Strip) & for cake & pastry lovers La Riveira is a must (located just right of hotel just 1 minute walk). The breakfast buffet had something to suit everyones taste & there were 3 coffee machines located in the restaurant which supplied a variety of coffees, all lovely. We dined in the restaurant on two occasions & really enjoyed both meals, we received a voucher for a free bottle of wine with our first meal & chose a local Portuguese red wine which was delicious & would recommend a visit to the restaurant, also 3 course meal was very cheap. There was an indoor pool & spa area but we did not avail of this but we did view the area & it looked ok, the outdoor pool was very clean & there were plenty of sunloungers every day to choose from, I availed of the gym on one occasion but found it to be very small & very humid, there was a small childrens play area outside with a playroom. The night time entertainment could be improved on & the games room would need to be updated, also the cost for 1 hour of pool was quite expensive. We both agreed that we would go back to this hotel again & would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If staying at this hotel insist on a pool view otherwise expect noise from early morning from buses...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Elizabeth G
VilaGaleHoteis, General Manager at Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest

We are very pleased to read your comment and find you have enjoyed your holiday and found our hotel and service to your standard.
The rooms facing the pool / sea are further away from the busy street and eventual traffic noise, so whenever we can if the guest requests and if we have availability we can acoomodate accordingly.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Rosário Ribeiro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Polish first
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just returned from a 10 day stay at the hotel. The room was spotlessly clean and we had clean towels every day, lashings of hot water, the air conditioning was great as the temp was 90+ whilst we were there. Ask for a room with a pool view as the other rooms face onto a busy road which we were told became very noisy at night.The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, as were all the staff. the food was plentiful with enough choices to please everyone.The whole hotel was spotless, the indoor pool was like stepping into a bath, it was so warm and both pools were very clean. The hotel provide towels for the pools, just ask at reception.We booked trips through the reception and the coach company's they used were great, and we only paid a couple of euros more than the ticket shops, but had piece of mind that if there was a problem we were well covered!! We didn't have any problems we were picked up and dropped off at the door of the hotel.The only negative thing I can say is the evening entertainment was very "cheap and tacky" organist playing and singing songs from the 60`s and a chap singing along to backing tracks..........there were a group of young dancers a couple of evenings and they were excellent. The hotel was only a few minutes walk to the old town, which we loved and about 10 mins walk to The Strip, which was very "British seaside bars"........... Portugal was beautiful with some amazing places to see and visit and every Portuguese person we spoke to were really friendly and helpful.
Whist we were in the hotel it was our Wedding anniversary (which out travel agent had put on the booking form, but told us not to expect anything) when we got back from a day out there was a bottle of champagne,in a ice bucket, and nuts and truffles waiting for us which we thought was a lovely gesture form the staff, and certainly added to our enjoyment of our stay in the hotel.Would recommend this hotel to everyone.

6 Thank tobyboy123
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments as we found them very pleasing and to find you have enjoyed your stay and recommend the Vila Galé Cerro Alagoa.
We are trying to improve our entertainment and these comments help us discover if this is what our guests expect.
We hope you may choose the Cerro Alagoa again in a fututre holiday

Rosário Ribeiro
Stoke-on-trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

It takes a lot to please me but this hotel infact the whole holiday was one of the best there is nothing I can say bad about this place, it's spotless we stayed on a b&b basis the breakfast was the best we have had anywhere
The only thing I would say is that they could do with putting a kettle in so you could have a cup of tea when you fancied one
Would defo go back ere again we loved it

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lubylou_64088
england
Reviewed June 16, 2013

All generally good. Breakfast a little restricted as no omelettes and bacon a bit fatty. Proper toasters though and choice of fruit , cerial, yoghurt etc.
Easy to get a sun bed w/o hassle before 9.30/10 . Picture of pool misleading as its ok but much smaller than picture. Rooms facing road a bit traffic noisy but do have afternoon sun on balcony. Staff friendly but did take 4 days to fix A/c which dripped quite heavily. Good location, close to old town( 10 mins ) and 20 from strip. ( which is like Blackpool, as are parts of old town) . The hidden away restaurants much better both for quality and value. One is found up a side street via a lady pointing the way with a huge 'pointy' finger. Food good , very busy inside and service good ( cant remember name)

Room Tip: Afternoon Sun on balcony roadside , but bit noisy at nite. Hotel for older people generally ( mainly...
1 Thank sean059
Ireland
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have just returned from a weeks break to this hotel. If you decide to book this hotel make sure you book a pool view room, the rooms at the other side are on a very busy road and I thought the moterbikes were in the room with me. I paid extra & room moved on the third night, I was lucky that the hotel was not full. I stayed half board & because I arrived at 11pm, I had emailed to hotel to ask about a light snack on arrival. They were very good & as soon as I had checked in they send a salad, some fruit, bread & water to me. The room was very clean and I paid 15 euro for the safe for the week. There is no kettle in the room but I always bring my travel kettle. I like a cup of peppermint tea before bed.There is a fridge which the hotel will fill for you or there are 2 supermarkets near the hotel. Out of hotel turn left & left again (small one which I liked) turn right out of hotel there is a huge one. As previous reviews have mentioned beautiful pastry shop when you turn right out of hotel.
The food in the hotel is great, something for everyone. On my first day it rained a little & as I had left Ireland to get away from it I was worried it was going to be a wet week. I need not have worried the weather for the rest of the week was fantastic. The day it rained I went to plan B & had an amazing facial & massage in the spa. The hotel does offers every week so keep your eyes peeled for that one.The are loads of beds & umbrellas ( however the Germans are still territorial so watch out.) And there are even lots away from the pool if you want quieter area, however & this is no reflection on the hotel. I got very sick and had to go to the hospidal with breathing difficulties early one morning.The hotel got a taxi for me. My throat was raw, my voice went and my eyes were swolen & closed due to the infection. BIG TIP Make sure you have your E111 card or you will pay. I had forgotton mine. The Dr at hospidal thought it was an allergy I picked up from the trees & shrubs at the hotel & I had been sitting near the same greenery every day. The hospidal only gave me painkillers which numbed the pain in my throat but was not assisting with the healing. I became great friends with the pharmacy across the road ( if you have to go there they operate a ticket system so pull a ticket just inside the door) I tried cough bottles & everything but nothing worked, I have been on antibiotics since I came back. I did not allow this to ruin my holiday but I just want to say sit in another area away from trees at the hotel.( Sorry about this part of the review but I would not like the same thing to happen to antone elce)
The bar in the hotel was were I had most of my conversations, I was travelling solo. Ezequiel & Mario were great & we had good old natters over a Baileys coffee which Tanya made so well. The entertainment at the hotel was dreadful, Parrots & Snakes. They had karoke one night but it was a bit of a flop.
Manuela is an excellent hairdresser and you can book her through reception.
Sergio ( chef ) was always smiling and friendly & very helpful. A few other members of staff who I met & deserve a mention were Pedro Feliz, Emamuel & Paulo. This was my first trip to Portugal & I have to say at first I did not find the staff very friendly but as week went on it seemed to improve.
A few other tips I did Historic Algarve Tour, its a long day.And my experience was you do not get to see enough of the places you visit, its like a whistle stop tour. I really wanted to visit Lagos but all I got there was 30 mins, not enough time to explore. The tour highlight for me was Cape St Vincent, which was like our Cliffs of Moher. I did not even get time to enjoy possibily the best coffee I had on my trip. Lovely coffee dock at Cape St Vincent. If I was to go again I think I would find a way to get to Lagos without the tour bus. I did the hop on off city tour bus & would not recommend it, waste of money & I was sitting at bus stops waiting for it for an eternity. The little blue & yellow train goes from outside the hotel and it will take you to the new town ( Strip ) and the Old Town. You can walk from the hotel to the Old Town, just turn left & its a short walk, however the pavements are narrow and uneven so be careful. A taxi from the Old town to the hotel will cost less the 5 euros. In the Oldtown there is a taxi rank.
The beach is amazing & there are lots of eating places where you can sit & watch the world go by. A coffee for 1.40, peri peri chicken ( traditional hot sauce) with chips & salad, a beer & water for 10.50 with an amazing view!!
I was ill for most of my trip but I still enjoyed my holiday. To the Managment at the hotel I would say sort out better entertainment & well done on excellent & professional & happy staff.

Room Tip: Dont hesitate if you are a light sleeper book a pool view room, its a pain having to move all your s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank bubbles66Ireland
Dear Guest

First of all we really hope that you are feeling better and have recuperated from the allergy !
Thank you for your lovely comments and these will be passed on to the staff mentioned as it is of great motivation to us to read our guests satisfaction at the end of their holiday.
Thank you for choosing the Cerro Alagoa and hope to welcom you back

Rosario Ribeiro
Manchester
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Everything about this hotel is first class. In my opinion it deserves a 5 star rating instead of 4. From the moment you enter the reception area you are made to feel totally at ease by the pleasant and courteous staff. This includes waiters, waitresses, barmen, cleaners. Nothing and nobody to fault. The rooms are extremely clean and spacious with everything you could possibly need for a comfortable holiday. The all inclusive option is well worth it. There is food to cater for every single taste. The salads, fresh fruit and desserts are wonderful. All food is always fresh. The swimming pool is huge and there are always plenty of sunbeds and tables and chairs to relax on. There is also an indoor pool and spa, together with games room, hairdressers and shop. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel and no doubt will be returning for a 4th visit in the future.

Room Tip: Pool/sea view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mellonie
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We originally booked to stay at a 3 star hotel in Albufeira but after it got wiped out by Norovirus we changed our booking to this hotel. How glad were we! This hotel is really lovely. Our stay was all inclusive. The food was gorgeous - a diverse range to suit different cultures and plenty of choice. I ate 3 x 3 course meals every day!! If you fancy a lighter lunch, you can get snacks at the bar. A range of drinks were available to suit most tastes. The hotel is clean and the staff and the service they provide was superb. The gym and health suite facilities looked great, although we never got to use them! There's loads of sunbeds and the pool was gorgeous. It's in a great location too, close to the old town and the new town....everything within walking distance. I'd definitely go back again...a very enjoyable stay. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Not sure that the sea view would warrant 16 euros a night
7 Thank littlesparkle