“Quite simply a delight from start to finish”

Restaurante Dom Carlos
Ranked #2 of 849 Restaurants in Albufeira
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We went impulsively and were lucky to get in - so do book. Taking our 13 year old daughter we were a little apprehensive when faced with the choice of just two options for each of five courses. However we didn't need haven't been. She tried everything and - like us - was stunned by some of the surprising and fantastic flavours of freshly sourced fish, meat and vegetables. Cauliflower,almond and cheese soup - certainly not on my radar before - was like liquid velvet. Sea bass followed. Stuffed chicken was described as 'out of this world' by my wife and the beef fillet was everything beef should - oozing with flavour. Deserts were beautifully presented. Liquers followed - on-the-house. The wine list was small but carefully chosen. Between courses, the Irish chef and owner provided anecdotes and was charming as was his Portuguese wife. What can I say...but we loved it from start to finish and it was worth every one of the near 200 Euros we spent. Definitely a one off but every holiday deserves a blow out.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went a few times to this place and unfortunately wasn't as pleased as the last time.
The welcome is as good as before but the rest is not.
You can see the same mimics from table to table. I liked being talked to and explained the way each dish was cooked but looking at whats happening in the restaurant you know when its 'your turn'.
You get 5 courses, usually its a cold starter, then a soup, meat, fish and dessert.
Is it because the plate are gigantic or the portion are very very small...but everything looked small.
The soup is good but my cup wasn't even a quarter full. The chicken was also extremely small.
I don't believe that this restaurant as a good value for money.
I don't mind paying for quality and class but in this restaurant I really felt 'short change'

6  Thank mamours3
Reviewed September 26, 2013

lovely food friendly staff,very nice man mario who invites you in a real gentleman,one tip just ask how long waiting time, this is very busy and can be slow but worth the wait

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Discovering this perfect restaurant (courtesy of Trip Advisor, so thanks to everyone) was the highlight of my holiday. 5 course dinner wonderfully explained by Peter and Ana, the most perfect hosts you could ever have. Every course was delicious and accompanied by the recommended Rose wine. From the Perfect Scallop, salmon, pear and walnut starter through fennel and potato soup, cod on a bed of pureed celeriac and spinach, then chicken in madeira sauce and finally strawberries soaked in Cointreau. It is essential to book as others have mentioned.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We are staying in the Sheraton Algarve and the restaurants there have been good but Dom Carlos was a revelation. Great food, lovely wine and perfect, friendly service. Pam and I eat out a lot in the UK but I can honestly say this was better than any meal we've had since we went to Le Manoir a couple of years ago; it was that good. Do yourself a favour and eat here.

2  Thank John M