“fantastic 1st AI holiday”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Algarve
Holiday Village Algarve Balaia
Ranked #110 of 519 Hotels in Algarve
Uppingham, United Kingdom
“fantastic 1st AI holiday”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were here in the first week of half term holidays (20-27 Oct). It was the first holiday we had abroad as a family. On arrival we were welcomed with sangria and were checked in very quickly. We absolutely loved our room, the view was beautiful and the room itself was very spacious (room 411). The first choice team were superb from the beginning to the end of our stay. The receptionists were friendly and helpful, Thierry in the Palm restaurant was friendly especially to the kids. The food was good a lot of choice and the staff in the restaurant were very efficient in clearing away and setting up. The only complaint I would have is that you couldn't eat snacks from the restaurant by the pool. The pools were all very cold but it didn't seem to put my boys off!!! They joined the kids club (superstars) and had a great time with the activities they did. The excursions we booked were excellent and the reps were very helpful in doing this. The entertainment team were awesome Sam, Keith, Hannah, Kelly and Miles put a lot of effort into entertaining everyone. On checking out a rep wasn't with on the bus back to the airport but Katie checked us on to the bus and said goodbye with Shrek! The weather let us down a little but that's something we can't control, for their first abroad holiday my boys really really enjoyed it and are very keen to go back. As a family we would definitely spend another holiday there. Thank you all at Holiday Village,Algarve

5 Thank tasha m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just got back today after a week at the village. First two days were shocking and really dreaded the rest of the week, the sun came out and all improved. Disappointed that high wires were closed with no explanation and flumes for under 12 was annoying. Used a couple of kids clubs and they were enjoyed, my eldest only went once as no one was showing up to them, she was disappointed. Had lovely time around the pool but it's freezing! Def take inflatables with you as all kids use them and quite expensive on site. Went on bus to beach it's amazing, wish there were more on offer to see more of the local area, really not encouraged to leave! Slide and splash was good but a long journey and expensive. Only gripe was feeling like we were in the way toward the end as it's end of season and the hotel staff starting to put things away and jet washing at 6.30am! Happy with general painting etc but the lawn mowing and hedge trimming when relaxing by the pool isn't relaxing at all! The first choice team were amazing my kids loved Keith! miles !Craig and Charlotte the panto was very funny ( much better than the stand up flown in!) the drinks were fab but only had snacks available on days when it's sunny, food nice, got a bit samey but everyone ate! No problems with sun beds etc but it was very quiet considering its half term. End of season party was the high light of the week really enjoyed it and sad to leave, don't think we will return as it was the first choice team that made it special and I heard they were being split up which is a shame. I would recommend it but deffo book a hire car to get out and about ( wish we had) booked here as we have never been on a family holiday abroad before and was a really good start, my girls made some lovely friends and other than the huge amount of money spent on site on pool and computer games when they got bored, everything was on hand.

Room Tip: We stayed in 422 in hotel one which had lovely sea views but above the bar and the air hockey game w...
9 Thank Peepeeplus3
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

got back sunday the 27/10/2013 not what we wanted as we took two 15 year old girls and they were bored as the things they would have enjoyed was not going to happen. The fun pool with flumes that was for under 12 year olds? so that was a no no the aerial adventure would have saved grace but no chance that was SHUT all week. The sauna that I wanted to use well couldn't get that to work properly and as help was not on hand had to do with steam room. The food was fine good menu, thought the drinks were a little short of variety only one draught beer/lager sanmiguel very poor? pools fair size just a shame no heating in them(should of been advised before we went about the age limit for the flumes).

6 Thank 1950daveb
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed here for a week earlier in the month & what a treat. The hotel looked great and looks exactly like the ones in the brochure & the rooms were fantastic. They are a good size with a full kitchen & a massive balcony.

The food standards were really good, and the breakfast choices were great. Normally I'm not a fan of all inclusive breakfasts as there doesn't seem to be much choice but there was here, sausages & bacon were great and freshly cooked omelettes. We also ate in both of the a la cartes and they were great (try the swordfish) as we didn't travel with children we didn't do much of the entertainment, however there was a quiz everynight in one of the bars however i do think this should be mixed up a little with a change at least once in the week.

There is more than one beach in the area, although this wasn't explained in the welcome meeting as it should of. There is one near the petrol station turning right & the one the hotel takes you too. We did travel out of the hotel as well and went to Albufeira, which was €6 in a taxi and got dropped off at the 'noddy' train and had a ride round the town. The beach area is stunning. We also went to Vilamoura on the local bus to see the harbour and have a wander around the town. Wished we had hired a car though to take in more of the sights as Portugal is gorgeous!

Room Tip: Request a block 1 room as the block 2 has the quiet pool. However it isn't hard to get to the ot...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kozzie_Lumps
heswall
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am writing this review as it should be( in my opinion), looked at as a childrens resort. This is a great place for kids to have fun. We travelled with daughter and grandson. Transfer painless and check in was quick and the receptionist was very friendly, I was lucky to be one of the first, but with only two staff on the counter I don't know how long it took for others, but never heard any complaints.
we had booked and paid for connecting rooms, but we found ourselves in two apartments, next to each other but not connecting, but as these were the last two at the end of corridor we thought it would work out fine as no passing foot traffic, and these rooms (238 and 240) in block one were nice for quietness and views, we tended to leave our doors open while in rooms so we could pop between , kept the rooms cool too so no need for aircon. Cleaners did a good job, although we asked them not to clean everyday as don't see the need.
The food was plentiful and lots of choices, I didn't think it was 4 star food, but a good 3.5 star, so no disappointment there. I had nice omelettes at breakfast.I would have preferred tablecloths at evening meals, but maybe that's because its geared up for families its easier to clean and more environmentally friendly.
We had booked swimming lessons for grandson, but hardly anyone else did so he ended up getting personal lessons off Dieter, who was very good and VERY PATIENT, as grandson is a dreamer with the memory of a fish!! Mind you, I think he should have had a medal just for being in the water, as all the pools were cold, you had to brace yourself to get in, but once there, it was okay. It was such a shame we had lousy weather, as our grandson had a whale of a time playing with the other children on the water slides and on inflatables, on the odd day or two we had sunshine. our grandson also enjoyed ifivelive too, and couldn't wait to go there each evening, the team there were fantastic with the children. The panto (dick Whittington) was funny and the team must have worked hard on that. The bar staff always smiling, don't know how they managed, couldn't say if they kept it up all night as not a night owl and usually ended up asleep before 10.30!
We don't drink a lot, only do AI for convenience, but what we had seemed reasonable quality, I had white rum which was nearly 100% better than I had at Thompson resort at Cape Verde, daughter and grandson only had coke but they didn't complain so it must have been fine, and husband had beer, again fine.
A good holiday had by all, only spoiled by the rain, nothing we could do about that.
Now hubby and I need holiday on our own to get over it !!

Room Tip: rooms 1240 1238 block 1, nice views, not noisy
2 Thank HeswallLou's
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We came back after a week all inclusive on 24th October with an 8 and 5 year old they had the best time its a fab hotel and could not fault it all. We had a one bedroomed apartment, it was huge and so clean and modern. The pools were lovely and the kids spent all their time in them along with all the varous activities set out for them throughout the week. The beach is a must see it is gorgeous spent hours rock pooling and as for the food it was fantastic.

I was a bit worried due to some comments I read, I think that you people have got far too much time on your hands and have nothing better to do than complain! All the reps and staff at the hotel work so hard and deserve to be praised. They all done themselves proud and made our holiday so much fun.

We loved Sam you are my favourite you are so funny and my little one loved Keith thank you for giving us some lovely memories on what I would say was such a fab holiday.

7 Thank M B
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I'm trying not to let the fact that it rained 6 out of our 7 day stay here have any impact on the review.

I think if you have a family and are looking for a holiday where there is a kids club and lots of activities this is a great place for you. However, as a couple hoping it would be quiet as the schools were back this wasn't the case. We had kids screaming in stereo during the welcome meeting.

There are two blocks to this complex. 1 which has the all inclusive restaurant and the main activites and 2 which has the Italian and Portugese restaurant. The problem with 2 is, there are some very slippy steps leading up to 1 which i'm glad I didn't have to climb every day.

The location isn't great either. It is quite a walk/taxi journey to any towns as it is in the middle of nowehere.

The gym is also not really a gym. So if you want a holiday with a gym, I wouldn't count this as habing one.

Personally I wouldn't go back but I can see why families do.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple