Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fabulous tour of Monsaraz & more

Had the most fabulous afternoon With João touring the area from a Evora to Monsaraz! João is a... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Gastineaugal
Juneau, Alaska
via mobile
Great Megalilth Tour with bonus Roman Ruins!

Reviewed October 3, 2018
Orlando D
Asheville, North Carolina

All reviews explained everything half day tour an amazing guide his knowledge wine tasting fantastic tour roman baths megalithic sites monsaraz interests production countryside alentejo megaliths trees region lisbon
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

João is a wealth of information, and so personable and down to earth. I learned so much about the Area, the people, their
“ industries” and way of life while driving through this gorgeous countryside.
We stopped at a local pottery shop/ business and saw the artisans at work. I was able to purchase two lovely pieces of very high quality at a very reasonable prices.
Our final stop and where we spent the most time was at Monsaraz. This little village of 87 permanent residents and is filled with history. It’s a “ must,” if you are in nearby Evora! Back country Tours offers several options. I’m planning to go along on another tomorrow. Just do it. So worth it!

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Gastineaugal,

Thank so much for your review. We love what we do and I think it shows! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 3, 2018

My wife and I loved this half-day tour in Evora. Joao was a perfect guide, knew his sites, and was considerate to our entire 6 person group. I particularly enjoyed his explanation of the cork industry in Portugal; while we were parked next to beautiful old cork trees!
The ruins of the Roman villa were fascinating. All in all, a top tour!

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2018

Hi Orlando D

Thank you for your review. We are happy you felt like that.
Hope to see you soon in Évora

Reviewed September 21, 2018

My wife and I had a fabulous day out with Joao, who was punctual, friendly, entertaining, very knowledgeable, and the perfect host. In addition we had a fantastic meal with him, and the day has been the highlight of our holiday. We couldn’t recommend him highly enough, and wish Backcountry tour every success in the future.

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2018

Hi V5824EZinfo,

Thank you for your review. Hope to see you again soon! Thank you also for the votes of success

Reviewed September 19, 2018 via mobile

I booked the Évora and Monsaraz tour. It was a wonderful experience.
Backcountry Tours is not the regular and impersonal tour operator. A guided tour with João is a unique experience.
He is a very knowledgeable, professional and charming guide who takes pride in his job and the quality of service he provides.

The walking tour through Évora was nicely paced. There’s a lot of history to absorb, and João made sure to make it interesting and entertaining. He also treated us to one of the best pasteis de nata I’ve had while in Portugal.
The tour included lunch and João took us to a very good local restaurant. Not the regular tourist trap.
After lunch we traveled to Monsaraz,
a charming little village that should not be missed. It’s really worth it.
To finalize a perfect day João surprised us with a wine tasting in one of the local wineries where we got to taste some very unique wines.

It was a great day and I would have loved to take some additional tours with João, to keep enjoying his company and benefiting from all his knowledge of the region, sadly I only had one full day in Evora. I am thankful he made it so very special.

Backcountry Tours, highly recommended!!!

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2018

Hi Mishmish-Lilu,

Thank you for your fabulous review. Without words to thank I just hope you can comeback soon so we can tour the region again. If you comeback without time enough for a tour I will have Alentejo wine waiting for you.

Reviewed September 18, 2018

Joao our guide was fantastic and extremely informative. He took just the two of us on a personalized tour of three megalithic sites and the ruins of a roman bath/villa. The sites were very interesting and his talks were very informative including those concerning local agriculture and economics. His English was excellent and he answered all questions well. He even included an amazing surprise at the end of the tour which of course I will not spoil in case you want to take on of his custom tours. All in all a great way to invest four hours of your time in Evora. Be careful though if you ask a question of a particular place he might take a side trip just to show you (he did this twice) which was really special. His price was quite low and we tipped him heavily to compensate for what we felt was a low price for two people. I would highly recommend him to you as a guide in the Evora area.

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2018

Hello Richard

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are very happy you felt like described. The conversations during the tour are very important because it gives us reason to visit other stuff!!
Hope you visit us soon again!

Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

João is so wonderful. My husband, mother, her best friend and I spent the day with João for a private custom tour. He picked us up at our hotel in Lisbon and his enthusiasm immediately matched our excitement and curiosity. The day was EVERYTHING we wanted and needed, and so so much more!!! João was able to balance the differing needs of our group and said from the very get go, "nothing is as important as that everyone is comfortable." He exceeded all expectations and my husband and I are already planning to return next spring to spend more time with João as his knowledge and passion are infinitely contagious. He went above and beyond for us. Do not miss an opportunity of a lifetime, book a tour!! We ended this beautiful day restored and with a fantastic new friend!!! Obrigada João!!! Until next time.

Dear Francakes,

Thank so much for your inspirational review. We feel very energized by your words and wanting to be better and better.
Hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed September 7, 2018

On a whim the night before I sent an email asking for a half day tour the next day. Joao responded quickly to me via WhatsApp and we decided on a trip to Monsarez ( a medical village about 40 km away with a population of 78 - a must see!) On our way there, I learned all about the wine region, the cork trees, stopped at an old fashioned pottery factory. I learned so much about Portugal and the region it was amazing. When we got to Monsarez, you will see the biggest man made lake in Europe ( amazing views), and take time to explore the wonderful village on your own time -- Its three streets, and its fun to explore, climb, and walk down all the alleys. There was a small surprise at the end ( I won't spoil it here), and we then went down to the lake and I dipped my toes in. I give him 10 stars. You'll have such a wonderful experience. The tour was 30 Euros, and I tipped him 10 Euros. It was worth every penny. His full day tours also include lunch if your looking for that. ENJOY!

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2018

Hi Lisa B,

Thank you so much for your reply.
We are very happy you spend such a good afternoon. We will be waiting for you in your next trip to Évora.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

We had a full day tour traveling all around the region surrounding Évora. Joao took us to lots of great places and some surprising places like the cow bell shop (love the owner and his wife; precious), the Shell Garden, and some out of the way ancient Roman ruins. Joao is interesting, gives lots of great information and is lots of fun to hang out with. He can customize tours but the tours that he offers are great. I would highly recommend him if you like a little something out of the ordinary.

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2018

Hi Shannon!

Thank you for your review. We are very happy for you having so much fun.
Hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed July 16, 2018

This was an amazing day long trip that was organized in conjunction with Unofficial Ambassadors (another great group). Joao was wonderful, he picked us up in Lisbon, took us to the market in Setubal and while on the way to Evora, took us to an archeology
site we wished to visit. After a brief drive around the city walls we headed off to an absolutely memorable lunch that featured many dishes that were well explained by Joao.
After lunch we took the tour of Evora, which was fascinating--If I get a chance to get back to Portugal, I would enjoy spending a night or two in Evora and seeing more of the museums and enjoying the park and just walking around

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2018

Hi marston568

Thank you so much for your review. We feel very pleased you had such a great time with us. Make sure when you get back to Portugal and Évora to contact us again. Even just for a glass of wine we would like to meet you again.

Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

We can highly recommend Joao as a guide for the megalithic sites around Evora. Joao was a real treat. He is knowledgeable, personable and very generous with his time. You won’t be disappointed. Jeanne and Otto. US

João T, Proprietário at Backcountry Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2018

Hi Jean and Otto!
Thank you for your review. We are very happy you felt like you did. Comeback soon for more!