“Amazing Food and Great Ambiance” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Amazing Food and Great Ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We came upon this restaurant accidently when we couldn't find the one we were looking for. It was almost 2 pm and most restaurants close between lunch and dinner. But we were lucky and we got the last table. The restaurant is operated by Manuel and Carolina, a husband and wife team. He greets guests and waits tables and she cooks. Also, the tasquinha is small with only 5 or 6 tables - so, if possible, I highly recommend making a reservation. Since we don't speak or read Portuguese, Manuel suggested that we allow him to choose the food for us. We started with some antipasti in small plates - olives, cheese, peppers, etc. Then we moved on to 2 or 3 other dishes. Just when we thought we were full, Manuel brought us "the main course." I can't tell you exactly what it was, but it was fabulous - just like every other dish that we ate. Of course, we also had a bottle of wine that Manuel recommended. When we were stuffed and couldn't eat any more we asked for the check, expecting it to be very high. However, we were very pleasantly surprised to find that the total bill was 100Euros for the two of us. I have had meals for twice this much that weren't half as good. I HIGHLY recommend Tasquinha D'Oliviera.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Holly C

Philadelphia
“a truly fun meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

As noted by other reviewers, this is a tiny restaurant. we were greeted by the Manuel, the owner who offered us a number of tempting appetizers. we chose a soft cheese with honey mustard and a crab dip. The main dishes and desert were also delicious. Mostly, it was just fun. we chatted with the owner throughout the meal and enjoyed it thoroughly. One of our best meals in Portugal.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank simplegifts
USA
“Great small restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

This little restaurant only has 5 tables, so you should make a reservation if you are planning to eat here. It is run by a husband and wife team. She is in the kitchen and he is the server. They have won a gastronomic Portuguese price for the best traditional Portuguese food. He will bring to your table several appetizers that you can choose to keep or send back. We had six appetizers, and as we don't come here every day, chose to taste them all. A couple of them, like the pork and the squid were tough. Our main dishes were the lamb and the pork cheeks which were terrific. We also had a couple of bottles of wine, which we thoght were reasonable (25 Euros each). We also ordered desert, and our whole meal lasted over three hours.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank cachirulatravels
Bern, Switzerland
“Outstanding in every aspect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We went for lunch and were so happy with the place and the food that we returned the same day for dinner.
The quality of the offered starters is hard to match. Everything is as fresh as it can be, original and tasty. One could have a light lunch or dinner on these starters only. However, the main courses and the desserts matched their quality.
The owner makes for an excellent and hard-to-find atmosphere. Music is discreet and well chosen. He recommended excellent local wines at very decent prices. I am travelling regularly to Portugal for more than twenty years. I have hardly had better local food in all those years.
What comes on top: the place is very clean, and that includes the kitchen and the lavatories.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank montecristo-no1
“Rip off!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I was really annoyed by the way they opperate in this place. I live in Portugal and haven't felt so ripped off in a long time. We booked and arrived to a locked door. Were seated in a doorway (being 1 of two tables the whole evening, I found this a bit odd) and presented with a selection of crab, octopus, torillas, cheese etc and he wouldn't tell us how much each dish was and insisted that we try other offerings. We sent most of it back. I ordered 2 lamb chops as I was full with the bits that were left on the table, he brought 4. I was really starting to get annoyed at this point! What we had was tasty but seriously, I can't stand being ripped off and that's how I felt leaving this place. There are FAR better places to go. My advice would be, don't bother wasting your time/money here.

Visited March 2014