“Convento do Espinheiro Hotel & Spa Evora”

Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Evora
Reviewed January 31, 2010

If you want to stay in a very special place then Convento do Espinheiro Hotel & Spa is the place for you. The staff are super wonderful and so helpful. They ensured our stay was wonderful.

Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa

Reviewed January 24, 2010

Everything - from the check in staff, to the breakfast staff, to the great room and bed - was wonderful. We had a very relaxing and comfortable vacation.

Reviewed January 17, 2010

This is one of the best hotels I’ve experienced in my life. It wasn’t just the luxurious rooms, or the incredible setting in a 15th century convent, it was the staff.

We stayed for 5 nights as we were looking for a relaxing luxury break in a central location that allowed us to explore Evora and surrounds. During this time the staff pampered us with incredible service, advice, friendly conversation and more.

On our first evening we dressed up and went to the Divinus Restaurant. We’d noticed on our arrival that there were many families staying in the hotel, some with poorly behaved parents who let their children run screaming through the echoing hallways of the old building, oblivious to other guests. We hadn’t expected that these young children would be dining in Divinus after 8:30pm. It was clear that the staff felt awkward about their behaviour. The raucous noise in the echoing halls of the restaurant was so disturbing that we declined dessert and left looking for solace at the more casual bar and restaurant area. Unbeknown to us, the restaurant manager followed us and ordered that our dessert and tea be given to us for free. On this first evening we met Paulo in the bar, who introduced us to the tea menu of which he was most knowledgeable. We took his advice that evening and on nights to follow and so enjoyed his passion, friendliness and expertise.

We had not hired a car as we knew the hotel had a shuttle that ferried guests into the town, and the nearby bus stop. Each day we lapped up the friendly advice of Patrick and the 2 David’s as they prepared us to enjoy the sights, sounds and tastes of Evora and the Alentejo region. The service was so exceptional that when the hotel was busy they paid for a cab for us to and from Evora.

I treated myself to a massage at the spa. Tip: Ask for Selesia! Selesia is truly talented and her massage was amongst the best I have ever experienced, which led me to book another one and a facial. Her facial was equally as good!

While the staff truly made our stay special, the luxurious rooms and incredible convent pousada setting added to the magic. The location, in a rural setting 5 minutes from Evora centre is much quieter than staying within the walls of Evora. The rooms were pure luxury, large spaces, sumptuous high thread count linen on the beds, duvets, desk and chairs, a deck, and, luxurious marble bathroom complete with a high tech loo with sprays and buttons that did things I wouldn’t write in a review .

I highly recommend this hotel and am thrilled that we chose it. We managed to land an incredible deal on Travelocity at just over 100 Euro’s a night because they offered 1 night free for stays of 3 nights or more. Great value when you consider that a first class breakfast buffet is included. We did learn that the hotel can be popular with families on weekends and during the Christmas/New Year break, so if you’re looking for a quiet romantic break, plan accordingly.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I went to Portugal for the first time with my husband, and stayed here because this is considered to be one of the best hotels in Evora, but what a mistake! Upon entering our room I noticed medication, from a previous stay, on the rug of the floor in plain sight. I mentioned it to the clerk, who picked it up and dismissed it as an oversight, and left us for the evening. We had dinner reservations at the hotel and immediately went for a walk prior to dinner (which we thought was pretty good.) When we returned to the room, my husband went to the bathroom yelled out "GROSS!" I walk in and on the inner rim of the toilet seat was FECAL MATTER. We immediately called the front desk and told them what happened, their reaction was to call housekeeping. I decided to go to the front desk and as I approached, the front desk clerks saw me and then started to pick up the phone to call housekeeping. His reaction was appalling, rather than understanding the gravity of the siutation, he just told me house keeping was coming. I made him come to the room and see for himself, and he acted as if no big deal, in fact it is really serious and can spread diseases! It really made me question whether they were really cleaning the rooms. They wound up changing our room, but honestly my stay here was ruined. For a hotel of this calibur I would at a minium expect superior cleanliness and overall better customer service and treatment. How would you want to sit on a dirty toilet in a fine hotel? I will be raising this issue with the hotel management, and never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank advogado
ricaban, General Manager at Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2010

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Arroyo,

I learnt about your unpleasant experience at our hotel through Trip Advisor, and first of all, in my personal name and in the name of my team, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the terrible experience that you had.

I work at this property since the time that we were rebuilding the former ruins of the convent 6 years ago. Since then, we have been working very hard towards building a team that cares for our clients, and the hotel has gained a very solid reputation as one of the best in our country. What happened to you is a very clear indication that a lot more has to be done to ensure that all members of our team perform at the same level.

I shall use your straightforward comments in our on-the-job trainings, in order to demonstrate the negative impact of poor performance, and how it can jeopardize the efforts of an entire team.

Please be assured that our team will endeavour all efforts in order to continually improve our services, and I take this opportunity to wish you all the best for 2010.

Yours sincerely,

Dinis Pires - General Manager

Reviewed January 7, 2010

My husband and I agreed that the Convento is probably the most gorgeous hotel we've ever stayed in. Not the rooms necessarily, which are lovely, but the hotel itself with its stunning architecture, grounds, cathedral (yes!) and spa. The buffet breakfast was also superb, although I would skip dinner here as it is overpriced compared with most Portuguese restaurants and not very traditional.
Although the Convento is located outside the walls of Evora the hotel provides a free taxi service back and forth which was such an enormous help. You wouldn't want to find yourself driving around inside Evora! The staff was so kind. One night their taxi didn't show up so we ended up taking one from town. When we walked in the hotel manager was visibly distressed that we had paid for it ourselves, how sweet!
We had a suite which we shared with our children which included a bedroom with a king bed, a spectacular bathroom, a sitting room and a small terrace. All of this for just slightly over $300 which we thought was incredible.
Also, the pool area and steam room were gorgeous!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Dougswife
Reviewed December 30, 2009

If you want to go to visit Evora and places in the region (Estremoz, Borba and Vila Vicosa are very nice too) this is a perfect hotel. It'a in a very beautiful building which was a nuns' convent dedicated to Virgin Mary, Who, according to the legend, appeared there in a "espinheiro". The building is totally reformed and more than appropriate for the function of being a hotel. The service, the swimming pool and leisure, thelandscape, the rooms... everything was good, for me

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2009

The hotel is SO beautiful. We really enjoyed the wine tasting in the wine cellar. It was private and the cellar was gorgeous. I loved the history behind the building. Cloisters are so beautiful anyway. To have stayed in one is very cool. The bathroom was huge!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple