“A little gem of a restaurant!”
Review of Pateo

Pateo
Ranked #25 of 252 Restaurants in Evora
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Terrace on a traditional courtyard, regional tapas, Alentejo wines, free wi-fi, multiple language service. We can accept anticipated reservations until 7PM.
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband and I happened upon this delightful place while strolling through Evora one Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago. We were first taken by the beautiful entrance -- a colorful arched opening at the end of an alleyway. What lay beyond? we wondered. Pateo is a charming courtyard restaurant, a wine and tapas bar, a shady and quiet oasis. We loved it!

Ricardo was our waiter and he provided impeccable service as well as interesting conversation. At the end of our long and leisurely lunch, he offered us a taste of puejo, a delicious local liquer made from pennyroyal, a member of the mint family. This was a treat we would never have known about had Ricardo not introduced us to it. (We promptly went out and bought a bottle to bring back to the US.) From Ricardo we learned more about Portugal (this was our first visit) and made a list of things to do on our next trip - which I hope will be soon. Oh, and the background music was the perfect addition. Some Fado, some jazz, all very interesting.

So, the atmosphere, the service was all wonderful. What about the food? Delicious! We ordered a sausage and cheese tray to share, which included some delicious chutney. I also ordered a bowl of gazpacho unlike anything in the US. Light broth, chunks of tomato with red, yellow and green pepper. The soup was wonderful, and plenty for two. But the best part was the fried sardines served alongside. Who knew that sardines would become my new favorite food? Light, crispy, flavorful without an overwhelmingly fishy smell or taste. In a word, fabulous!

We so enjoyed our lunch that we considered returning that evening for dinner. But decided to wait until our next trip to Portugal. Thank you, Ricardo, for a perfect afternoon in Evora!

There are newer reviews for Pateo

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We are in Evora for three nights - tonight we ate at Pateo. What a fabulous place. The restuarant is set well back away from any traffic - so no fumes! It has a lovely, large rectangular terrace which seats maybe, 50 or 60 people. Very friendly and personal service - we loved the people who served us the meal.

We shared a starter of prawns in garlic sauce and then I had a prawn salad which was lovely. My partner had a steak which was done in the local way - very nice but perhaps not what he expected. The prawns in garlic sauce were absolutely superb. Prawn salad was excellent and the steak was good. But you can't beat the atmosphere - it was really superb. The music is fantastic - very quirky - and fantastic for us - lots of different music for varying tastes.

We just loved this place. We are returning to Evora in 5 days time and we will come back to Pateo. I was orginally put off by the Tripadvisor reviews about the burgers - I stopped reading at the point the reviews mentioned burgers. Not my type of food. However, once we walked in to the place we were just hooked - it is really great and they do good coffees and stuff during the day.

The evening cooking starts at 19.30 though you can get hot sandwiches and other starter stuff before that.

Will be back in 5 days to eat again and enjoy the fabulous atmosphere.

2  Thank Nomadictravellers
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is a very relaxing wine bar with good food. The courtyard is partly sheltered from the sun. A pleasent place for tasting local wine accompanied by small tasty dishes.
It may be hard to find at the end of a small alleyway.

1  Thank Belgiananddane
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Great food, Nice people, ask for a cold tea...super in hot days. Nice music and lovely and shady.
I recommend to all who enjoy a good relaxed glass of wine or cocktail.

1  Thank SIWGM
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My girlfriend and I had an afternoon to kill in Evora and were recommended this place by the proprietor of our hotel (Evora Inn). It is truly a hidden gem - walking along the Rua Cinco de Outubro from the main square Praca do Giraldo, you might almost miss the sign and the tiny path leading off the street to the left. It is a nice little oasis to sit and have a glass of wine and some tapas. The patio is calm and serene, with plenty of shade. The wine pours are generous and inexpensive at 1.50-2.50 euros a glass. Our bill for two glasses of wine, bread, olives, and quail eggs (all of which I'd recommend by the way) was 11.00 euros. Our server Ricardo was super friendly and charming and spoke excellent English. He even gave us a tour of the restaurant inside which used to be a gentleman's club a hundred years ago and is now functions as a club at night. There is even foosball inside by the restrooms. Afterwards on the street outside (Rua Cinco de Outubro) we went for a stroll and checked out the little shops and the cathedral at the end of the street. All in all it made for a pleasant afternoon. If we ever come back to Portugal we are definitely coming back to Evora and stopping by for a glass of wine and tapas at the Pateo.

2  Thank Poopcakes