“Just as promised”
Review of BL Lounge

BL Lounge
Ranked #36 of 243 Restaurants in Evora
Cuisines: International, Contemporary, Portuguese
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Louis, Missouri
“Just as promised”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is a wonderful little restaurant. As me tinned before the chef and owner works with you to find just the right meal, amount of food and the wine. I had the octopuses and my husband a fish. We had been wanting to find a nice red wine...and the chef found the perfect one that we could have with seafood. Another great recommendation from the hotel!,

Visited November 2012

where my red nose takes me
“A breath of fresh air...”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

It is not often that I feel compelled to write about one of my dining experiences and to be honest, when you find a place like the BLounge, you really don't want too many people to know about it in case the sudden influx of new custom somehow ruins the very essence of why you like to go there in the first place.

Owned by husband and wife team Antonio and Lucia Bravo, I have had the pleasure of eating in this lovely little restaurant on a number of occasions when passing through Evora, and have, (so far), never been disappointed. Possibly one of the only reasons that I am writing this, is that the BLounge is hard to find, safely tucked away in a dead end street not too far away from the Roman Temple (but that's all I'm saying). Yet, I also want to see this establishment perdure for many more years to come as I still have more dishes to try.

The traditional food of Alentejo is hearty and wonderful but a week of it can be a little overbearing, so unlike many of the other establishments in the town centre, that predictably serve the same heavy traditional fare of black pork and clams with a wodge of moistened bread "migas", the BLounge offers something different and thankfully hasn't yet been laid seige to by gaggles of tour bus diners on a €10 euro food and wine budget, doing a whirlwind 5 night 6 day "see all" trip of Spain and Portugal. This is a restaurant for foodies in search of a refreshing eating experience in a modern, airy atmosphere, that you would more likely associate with a confidential in-vogue Manhattan or London haunt before it becomes mainstream.

The food is prepared backstage by Lucia while the front room is casually, yet expertly, managed by Antonio, (speaks excellent english) who will gladly assist if you are not very familiar with the local wines. The back wall is decked with an exciting selection of very affordable local brews from the Alentejo vineyards (and from other parts), and you can go up, pick up a bottle, look at the back label and weigh up the potential of what you are about to enjoy. The recipes are still very much regional in style, but revisited and meshed with a lighter, fresher more modern twist. The a la carte menu lists an ample selection of local meat dishes and a variety of fish, as well as veggie options, all as good as the other.

Portions are healthy (some things in Portugal are ingrained), so I often struggle with choosing between a 1st course and the house tapa-style aperitifs that you pay for if you touch them. At the BLounge, not only should you touch them, but if you like variety and a bit of fun, you may even prefer to have Antonio bring out a selection of these instead of a first course; an experience akin to Forest Gump's box of chocolates. Save some space for La piece de resistance, the wonderful trolley of homemade desserts, most of them, typically regional, and all pretty sweet, but equally delicious.

I gave the BLounge a 4 star rating for those food snobs who poo-poo anything that doesn't have a Michelin star attached, but seriously, I love this place, and there is palpable value for money all round. I heartily encourage lovers of modern / regional Alentejo fusion in search of relaxed informal dining to give it a try; but you have to find it first...I hope to be there again next week.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank Red-knows
Sintra, Lisboa, Portugal
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We take a little while to find the restaurant but was the best choice. What an amazing dinner...everything was perfect...and the dessert car looks like heaven on earth :) I strongly recommend it!

Visited April 2012
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

1 Thank MissPaulinha
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Pra la de bom!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel we were staying at reccomended this restaurant and we were not disappointed . The place is modernly decorated but minimalist with a soul, the couvert was delicious with typical products . I tried the escalopes de porco com pure de maca ( porc sirloin with apple puree) and was delighted with my choice. My friend had an amazing steak portuguese style with garlic sauce and loved it. The melted goat cheese with jam is a great starter. We both had the walnut and egg cream pie ,which was also lovely. the service was amazing . the owner came to talk to us and to explain the menu and later to check how was everything. We decided to return the following evening. Congratulations..

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Miosotis G
South Yorkshire
“A LOVELY RESTAURANT”
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

A real find when working in Evora. The icing on the cake was the very kind and considerate owner who ensured my colleague and I understood the menu and he suggested various choices for us. The potato mayonnaise and the cooked cheese starter were to die for. Our bill was presented in a little silver treasure chest which was a quirky and lovely touch. I would not hesitate to return!

1 Thank gabriella1