A very characterful little hotel with very caring staff and the most delicious breakfasts. It seems like a modern building but with some old features - for example an exposed old wall here and there. Apparently it was once the olive press of the Convent of St Hilda. Bright (possibly gaudy is the word) random colours are a theme in public spaces - you enter thru big metal gates in a sort-of modern archway, into an inner courtyard with tables with deep pink parasols on multi-coloured oriental rugs. Inside, bright rug hangings and modern art, terracotta tiles everywhere, some older furniture, some modern pieces, plants in pots. Bedrooms in softer, muted colours (at least mine was) overlook the narrow cobbled streets of Evora, v quiet. In rooms, nice solid, rustic furniture, v comfortable big beds and lovely fat soft pillows. Excellent chocolate on the pillow at night time. Nice classical music in public spaces. Reception sells good local olive oils, that chololate again, natural salt and rustic soaps. Breakfast was brilliant including hot stuff - a choice of eggs, pancakes, French toast. Amazing freshly-squeezed juices - carrot and orange, strawberry and orange, apple... Fresh tomatoes with delicious peppery organic olive oil, lovely garlicky fresh tomato sauce, fresh cheese with dark organic honey, bowls of cherries on every table, organic dates, organic yoghurt, and to sprinkle on it organic sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, 'bee pollen from Evora', good, if very sweet, doce de aborbora (pumpkin and cinnamon jam). Nice organic coffee, good herb teas. Best breakfast every in Portugal, once of the best breakfasts I've had anywhere in the world. Definitely a hotel for 'Foodies'. Very nice, helpful staff. There's an underground carpark accessed thru the courtyard.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Albergaria do Calvario is ideally located within the beautiful city walls of Evora. On the site of a 16th-century olive oil mill, the gated entry leads to a beautiful courtyard creating a centerpiece for the surrounding lobby, guest rooms, and common areas. This unique 4-star hotel provides modern luxury and contemporary styling while preserving its connection to the past and the unique identity of Evora. Each of the 22 guest rooms, including four suites, offer wireless Internet, a flat screen television, and heating and air conditioning. Every room is designed for restful comfort with superior beds, high quality linens, and a pillow menu. Beautiful marble, modern fixtures, and all glass enclosures create a thoroughly modern bath experience. Albergaria do Calvario is very well known for its exceptional all-inclusive breakfast featuring fresh, organic, and locally-grown products in abundant supply. Order from a full bar and a hand-selected menu of homemade tapas that may be enjoyed indoors or in the open courtyard. Twenty-four hours a day no request is too small or unique. Every staff member is eager to arrange services such as; tours and activities, dining reservations, and room service—all included with each stay. Laundry, ironing, and dry cleaning are also available at reasonable rates. A list of non-published services is also available and designed to help the traveler discover the best of local and regional experiences.All of the attractions of Evora are within short walking distance on sidewalks and charming cobblestone streets. Highlights within the city walls include the Se Cathedral and hidden gems like the Igreja dos Loios. Featured day trips include nearby wineries, cork oaks, historic cities, and tours of prehistoric megalithic sites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Albergaria do Calvario reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergaria Do Calvario Évora
- Albergaria Do Calvario Hotel Évora