“Lovely boutique hotel inside the walled city inside Evora, Portugal”

Albergaria do Calvario
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Evora
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Albergaria Do Calvario is a boutique hotel located inside the old city walls inside the city of Evora, Portugal. http://www.albergariadocalvario.com/

Our room was modern, spacious, comfortable, and quiet, and came with an extra-large King size bed.

The staff is extraordinarily friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to provide us with detailed personalized information about the area, our interests, what we might like to see and do, and then they helped by making all the reservations we asked for, whether for restaurants or a side trip into the country. After we planned one excursion they had recommended, it rained, and they took the initiative to warn us not to go after all. They contacted the man who conducts that excursion to confirm that the rain made the area muddy and they promptly let us know so we could postpone that plan. One morning I interrupted a young man at the front desk who was obviously concentrating on his work, so I apologized for interrupting him to ask for something, and he said, “No, don’t apologize. You are what I’m here for—to help you any way I can.” That example reflects the attitude of the entire staff, who clearly work as a team to make the guests’ visit as enjoyable as possible.

The hotel is within walking distance of multiple good restaurants and sites to see in Evora, including, among other things, parks and a most unusual “museum” called Capela dos Ossos (Chapel of Bones) in which the walls were literally built with human bones—skulls, arm and leg bones, on and on. Google images for Capela dos Ossos will give you the idea visually.

The wireless works well all over the building—in your room, on the outside patio, and in the sitting rooms for reading and games and coffee/tea/drinks.

The breakfast buffet offered lots of organic choices, fresh fruit juices, the best dates my wife and I have ever eaten, a variety of cheeses, abundant fruits and fruit salad, several sorts of breads, cereals, meats, yogurt, eggs cooked to your preference, and other special order items all at no extra cost. The buffet offered a lot more than I can recall, including wheat germ, nuts, toppings, varied jams, etc., but this should give you a sense of it.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet 24 hours. I wandered around one morning looking for someone and did not notice a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Albergaria do Calvario

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The moment you arrive you know you have made the right choice. The staff go our of their way to make you feel special and at home. The common rooms were well decorated and comfortable and the private rooms were very clean and well appointed. The recommendations we were given for dinner led us to an unforgettable evening. The staff really cared about their community and it was important to them that we enjoyed our stay there. We appreciated the many organic and local food choices for breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a well deserved 4 star hotel within a short walk of all the sites..Staff goes overboard in being helpful and personable..Breakfast is a feast. Cost is very reasonable..Their restaurant recommendations were excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived at Albergaria do Calvario straight from the airport after about 20 hours of travel, exhausted, overwhelmed, and hungry. Michelle sat us down and brought us tea and cake and, after we had relaxed a bit, came over and oriented us to the city, including where to eat and what to see. I have never had this happen in a hotel, and we were so grateful. Thanks to her wonderful help, we were able to really enjoy our very limited time in Evora (just a day). Her restaurant recommendations were perfect, and ended up being some of our favorite food of all our time in Portugal. Evora is such a gorgeous city. You can walk everywhere within the city from the hotel, which is really nice. And the breakfast! I can't say enough about the breakfast. I wish I could eat it every day of my life. The room was very clean and nice; we slept so well! I don't have a bad thing to say about this hotel, I only wish we would have stayed here longer. We will be back. Stay here. You will be very happy you did.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel was recommended to me and I knew a little of its reputation but I was still bowled over by the staff and service. I was unlucky enough to be unwell when we arrived but the management went out of their way to ensure I was made comfortable, provided special meals and looked after me like a family member. If that's not enough to convince you what other reviewers have said about the decor, atmosphere and location is also true.
This is the place to stay in Evoria

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Even though this is adding to the list of applaud for this charming place, the hotel is deserving of it. The staff in particular are warm and wonderful. The organic breakfast is outstanding. The warmth of the common spaces and nice rooms all make for an excellent stay. There is a feeling of home that the staff leave you with!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I knew the place was beautiful from the photos, and yet it surprised me how welcoming it was- A lot of care and attention has gone into making this a very special place. The atmosphere is so relaxed, you are made to feel at home. Staff treated me like a friend, took care of anything I wanted. The living area is just beautiful. Breakfast was to die for- I could have stayed there all day. Excellent quality, amazing variety. I can't wait to go back, this time with family rather than as a work trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business