Albergaria Do Calvario is a boutique hotel located inside the old city walls inside the city of Evora, Portugal. http://www.albergariadocalvario.com/
Our room was modern, spacious, comfortable, and quiet, and came with an extra-large King size bed.
The staff is extraordinarily friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to provide us with detailed personalized information about the area, our interests, what we might like to see and do, and then they helped by making all the reservations we asked for, whether for restaurants or a side trip into the country. After we planned one excursion they had recommended, it rained, and they took the initiative to warn us not to go after all. They contacted the man who conducts that excursion to confirm that the rain made the area muddy and they promptly let us know so we could postpone that plan. One morning I interrupted a young man at the front desk who was obviously concentrating on his work, so I apologized for interrupting him to ask for something, and he said, “No, don’t apologize. You are what I’m here for—to help you any way I can.” That example reflects the attitude of the entire staff, who clearly work as a team to make the guests’ visit as enjoyable as possible.
The hotel is within walking distance of multiple good restaurants and sites to see in Evora, including, among other things, parks and a most unusual “museum” called Capela dos Ossos (Chapel of Bones) in which the walls were literally built with human bones—skulls, arm and leg bones, on and on. Google images for Capela dos Ossos will give you the idea visually.
The wireless works well all over the building—in your room, on the outside patio, and in the sitting rooms for reading and games and coffee/tea/drinks.
The breakfast buffet offered lots of organic choices, fresh fruit juices, the best dates my wife and I have ever eaten, a variety of cheeses, abundant fruits and fruit salad, several sorts of breads, cereals, meats, yogurt, eggs cooked to your preference, and other special order items all at no extra cost. The buffet offered a lot more than I can recall, including wheat germ, nuts, toppings, varied jams, etc., but this should give you a sense of it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Albergaria do Calvario is ideally located within the beautiful city walls of Evora. On the site of a 16th-century olive oil mill, the gated entry leads to a beautiful courtyard creating a centerpiece for the surrounding lobby, guest rooms, and common areas. This unique 4-star hotel provides modern luxury and contemporary styling while preserving its connection to the past and the unique identity of Evora. Each of the 22 guest rooms, including four suites, offer wireless Internet, a flat screen television, and heating and air conditioning. Every room is designed for restful comfort with superior beds, high quality linens, and a pillow menu. Beautiful marble, modern fixtures, and all glass enclosures create a thoroughly modern bath experience. Albergaria do Calvario is very well known for its exceptional all-inclusive breakfast featuring fresh, organic, and locally-grown products in abundant supply. Order from a full bar and a hand-selected menu of homemade tapas that may be enjoyed indoors or in the open courtyard. Twenty-four hours a day no request is too small or unique. Every staff member is eager to arrange services such as; tours and activities, dining reservations, and room service—all included with each stay. Laundry, ironing, and dry cleaning are also available at reasonable rates. A list of non-published services is also available and designed to help the traveler discover the best of local and regional experiences.All of the attractions of Evora are within short walking distance on sidewalks and charming cobblestone streets. Highlights within the city walls include the Se Cathedral and hidden gems like the Igreja dos Loios. Featured day trips include nearby wineries, cork oaks, historic cities, and tours of prehistoric megalithic sites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Albergaria do Calvario reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergaria Do Calvario Évora
- Albergaria Do Calvario Hotel Évora