1) The staff at Albergaria do Calvario are not just friendly & helpful, their hospitality and graciousness exceeds any I've experienced in a hotel throughout my 30+ years of avid travel. From the many languages spoken fluently by the staff, to their thoughtful restaurant recommendations and making of reservations, to arranging wine tours, to providing us with transportation schedules... the staff repeatedly went above and beyond by providing an excellent level of service and seemed authentically committed to ensuring that each guest has a fabulous stay in Evora.
2) The rooms at Albergaria do Calvario are clean and spacious, comfortably air conditioned, and well-appointed with a small refrigerator (perhaps, like me, you'll find you need to take some of your enormous dinner portion of black ham to-go). The towels are thick and the beds are super comfy.
3) The included breakfast buffet is truly superlative. And this comes from a connoisseur of breakfasts around the world! Everyone who knows me well, knows that I like a substantial breakfast. In contrast, my traveling companion likes an espresso and something light. Albergaria do Calvario provides perfect options for every traveler. Their daily buffet includes a variety of local & seasonal fruits, fresh squeezed juices, frittata, quiche, yogurt, choice of breads and cakes, cheeses, etc. Even I was totally satiated by the buffet! But don't fret if you fancy an omelette or french toast, as they have an additional menu you can order off of as well (also included in your room price).
4) Their attention to aesthetic details is impeccable. The owners of Albergaria do Calvario have created a charming and soothing retreat in their shared spaces. There are a couple lounge rooms in which to relax and the patio is a fabulous spot to sample their selection of local wines in the evenings, enjoy their tapas menu (don't miss the fabulous local cheese that they serve baked for spreading on fresh bread), and chat with the international crowd.
5) On top of all of this (see reasons 1-4), Albergaria do Calvario is an amazing value. For this level of service, comfort, hospitality, and beautiful setting inside the Roman walls of Evora, we were quite pleasantly shocked by the total on our bill.
I plan to travel back to Portugal in part so I can stay at Albergaria do Calvario again. I hope you get to enjoy it too!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Albergaria do Calvario is ideally located within the beautiful city walls of Evora. On the site of a 16th-century olive oil mill, the gated entry leads to a beautiful courtyard creating a centerpiece for the surrounding lobby, guest rooms, and common areas. This unique 4-star hotel provides modern luxury and contemporary styling while preserving its connection to the past and the unique identity of Evora. Each of the 22 guest rooms, including four suites, offer wireless Internet, a flat screen television, and heating and air conditioning. Every room is designed for restful comfort with superior beds, high quality linens, and a pillow menu. Beautiful marble, modern fixtures, and all glass enclosures create a thoroughly modern bath experience. Albergaria do Calvario is very well known for its exceptional all-inclusive breakfast featuring fresh, organic, and locally-grown products in abundant supply. Order from a full bar and a hand-selected menu of homemade tapas that may be enjoyed indoors or in the open courtyard. Twenty-four hours a day no request is too small or unique. Every staff member is eager to arrange services such as; tours and activities, dining reservations, and room service—all included with each stay. Laundry, ironing, and dry cleaning are also available at reasonable rates. A list of non-published services is also available and designed to help the traveler discover the best of local and regional experiences.All of the attractions of Evora are within short walking distance on sidewalks and charming cobblestone streets. Highlights within the city walls include the Se Cathedral and hidden gems like the Igreja dos Loios. Featured day trips include nearby wineries, cork oaks, historic cities, and tours of prehistoric megalithic sites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Albergaria do Calvario reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergaria Do Calvario Évora
- Albergaria Do Calvario Hotel Évora