As soon as we arrived at the Albergaria do Calvario I knew instantly why this hotel is the number one rated hotel in Evora. Were immediately enfolded into the care of this most gracious staff, starting with Sara, who showed us to our lovely room. I had requested a quiet room in my original e-mail, and she repeated to me as she lead us to our room (No. 15) that it was quiet. One of the three Johns working at the hotel took our car and parked it in the underground garage, leaving us free of care. The day was warm and sunny, and the whole hotel buzzed with excitement. On a long table set out in the main salon, we were invited to take a glass of the home-made iced tea, scented with mint, fresh squeezed apple juice or another house-invented juice concoction. A large plate laid with slices of orange cake beckoned. Upstairs, on a bench overlooking the patio, an artist was sketching a view of the colorful scene below. After we unpacked, all three of the Johns, gave us their expert opinions of where to eat dinner. However, in the end, we decided that there was no better place for us, that evening, than the patio to sample the many tapas on offer. We were not disappointed. The salad, served with fresh ingredients from the Alentejo region, was one of the best salads I've ever eaten. The hotel has a policy of serving only farm fresh foods gathered from nearby fields. Even wine from the Duoro River valley was too far away! Of note is the wonderfully tasty sangria, which we enjoyed most afternoons.
Our room was spacious, and overlooked the patio. Despite the fact that the patio was well used, the other guests were very considerate, and kept their voices low. We were never bothered by noise from any part of the hotel. Each room has individual climate control, so we were quite comfortable. The bathroom was marble-lined, and offered a large counter for letting us spread out. The toiletries were very nice, and refreshed daily. The towels were large and fluffy. The hotel also has an elevator, which made the transport of our bags a breeze.
It turns out that we stayed longer than most guests, which was 5 nights. I heard many a guest express their wish that they'd stayed longer as they reluctantly left the hotel. As this hotel makes a perfect base for exploration of the Alentejo, it is a shame not to spend more time here. As such, we were able to enjoy the company of the staff and owners, who were kindness itself. Peter, the owner, hails from Virginia Beach, VA, and his lovely wife Nina is Brazilian, but educated at UCLA. Everyone speaks English (and other languages including Spanish, German and French) so that communications are no problem. It appeared that their sole wish in life was to make their guests comfortable. One day my husband was not feeling well, and the staff were instantly concerned, even coming up with a traditional Portuguese remedy for his malady. It worked! When he was finally feeling well enough to venture out, everyone cheered. This example of their kindness is only a small sample of how the owners and staff of the Albergaria do Calvario took care of us, and we will always be grateful to them for all they did for us.
The common rooms in the hotel, which was remodeled from an old farm house, which supplied olive oil to the convent next door, retain the feel of a home rather than a hotel. They are stocked with books and magazines, comfortable couches and chairs. We also had the free use of a computer, which was very handy. The day my husband was not feeling well, I spent a lot of time in one of the salons, and was almost reluctant to leave! Certainly by the end of our stay, we definitely did not want to leave. Only the thought that our next stop was the enchanting village of Sintra, enabled us to go. We retain very fond memories of our stay, and will definitely return on our next visit to Portugal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Albergaria do Calvario is ideally located within the beautiful city walls of Evora. On the site of a 16th-century olive oil mill, the gated entry leads to a beautiful courtyard creating a centerpiece for the surrounding lobby, guest rooms, and common areas. This unique 4-star hotel provides modern luxury and contemporary styling while preserving its connection to the past and the unique identity of Evora. Each of the 22 guest rooms, including four suites, offer wireless Internet, a flat screen television, and heating and air conditioning. Every room is designed for restful comfort with superior beds, high quality linens, and a pillow menu. Beautiful marble, modern fixtures, and all glass enclosures create a thoroughly modern bath experience. Albergaria do Calvario is very well known for its exceptional all-inclusive breakfast featuring fresh, organic, and locally-grown products in abundant supply. Order from a full bar and a hand-selected menu of homemade tapas that may be enjoyed indoors or in the open courtyard. Twenty-four hours a day no request is too small or unique. Every staff member is eager to arrange services such as; tours and activities, dining reservations, and room service—all included with each stay. Laundry, ironing, and dry cleaning are also available at reasonable rates. A list of non-published services is also available and designed to help the traveler discover the best of local and regional experiences.All of the attractions of Evora are within short walking distance on sidewalks and charming cobblestone streets. Highlights within the city walls include the Se Cathedral and hidden gems like the Igreja dos Loios. Featured day trips include nearby wineries, cork oaks, historic cities, and tours of prehistoric megalithic sites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Albergaria do Calvario reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergaria Do Calvario Évora
- Albergaria Do Calvario Hotel Évora