“Sadly Disappointed”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Our hotel recommended this restaurant and we read other reviews which were all positive. Perhaps we just hit it on a bad night. Moderately crowded when we arrived. Only 1 waiter. 10 minutes for the slightly stale, tasteless bread to arrive. This place is noted for its tomato soup but when we arrived at 7:30 we were told it was all gone for the day. I ordered fish; my husband ordered veal. It took 20 minutes to get a small carafe of wine. It was cheap. Thank goodness because it was dreadful. My fish was OK but my husband's veal was absolutely inedible. He couldn't cut it. (1 bite and he was done.....which is remarkable because he NEVER leaves anything on his plate.) Everyone around us seemed to have the same interminable wait. The waiter (only 1 for the whole restaurant) was so rushed that he didn't have time to explain the various dishes and he seemed exasperated the whole night. We couldn't wait to leave. It was the worst dining experience in our 2 weeks in Spain and Portugal.

We ran into some of the other diners at our hotel in the morning. They must be more tolerant or resilient because they thought the chaos was fun and the food tasty. Maybe we just made the wrong choices.

1  Thank babznlulu
There are newer reviews for Adega do Alentejano

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Carlos is very personable and tells you all about the menu selections. I tried the iscas and it was a good dish. Two of us ate there for about 30 Euros including tip. Very tasty!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I always try and have a meal her when visiting Evora. The restaurant is rustic, with the menu on blackboards on the walls. However the owner goes through the whole menu in English if required. Wine is by the glass or jug from barrels in the restaurant.

The quality of the food is always good (especially the Tomato Soup) and is great value for money. I have taken colleagues from Evora to this restaurant and they now use it regularly.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This little restaurant off a side street is simply perfect. It's completely authentic from decor to service to food being cooked by mama in the back. The host spoke English and made superb recommendations. We particularly loved how the jug of wine you were served came from barrels along the wall from a local vineyard. It felt like stepping back in time and was just so charming. And it was very reasonably priced to boot! It was quite simply our favorite meal in Portugal!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

The day's menu is written in chalk on a board. Your host counsels you on the selections ("These are pigs' feet -- you like them or you don't." "I don't like that fish today -- please choose something else.") and then brings appetizers which you really must try! My husband had the tenderest octopus ever (he's still dreaming about it), and I had the Caldo Verde soup (I'm still dreaming about THAT!). The service, the quality of the food, the authenticity of the place -- one of the best meals we had in Portugal!